Artificial Intelligence system could replace sales staff in car dealerships

They should start with information and data first as most sales representatives doesn't know a thing about the cars they're selling.

Salesman serve almost no purpose in today's modern dealership... good riddance.

The car buying experience with dealerships is an outdated one. I personally just do not want to negotiate with someone to get the best price. I just want to be able to buy stuff like we normally do, pick the product you want, pay for it and then go home. The only role I would like salesmen to have at dealerships is to assist you with test driving a car. Show you stuff about a car that you might know about, teach you how to use features, etc... but no negotiating with price. I think the Tesla's car buying setup is a step in the right direction.

One of the things that I like about the Tesla is that they are replacing the dealership with direct sales. I don't see independent dealers as adding any value at all over a factory outlet store.

Unless you need to deal with repairs and issues. So far Model S onwers have received excellent service, your model S leaks?

We come to your home and fix your S.
Or we take it back and give you a higher trim loaner.
Sorry your wait time is X number of days.

Which is expensive model, things will only go downhill with model 3.
All of this has to keep in mind the most important aspect - Tesla is still loosing money. They lost 1.2 Billion last year (BMW for e.g. made an 8 billion USD profit)
None of the fortune 500 companies loose as much money for as long as Tesla and Uber have done.
Worryingly if Tesla looks in its rear mirror Mission E, BMW and Mercedes are about to release theirs soon. And guess what - they wont have as many fit n finish issues as model S had.

Dealerships are scum 80% of the time. the ones who are not - sell at honest prices based on market and service well. Dallas is cesspool of crap dealers who lie everytime they open their mouth.

Unless you need to deal with repairs and issues. So far Model S onwers have received excellent service, your model S leaks?
There is some gossip going around and Tesla denying it that there is an issue with head gaskets leaks!!
[emoji23][emoji23]

If I had not had interaction with several dealers, and I am not talking HARD face to face negotiations, I would have spent an additional $900 on my deal. The hardest thing I did was give the exterior of my trade a good cleanup and a quick shine and wipe down and scored an extra $500 over the best offer I had to that point.

I'm an engineer, who develops Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning algorithms. The most difficult part with any AI project is data collection. It's true that AI can be used to make these predictions, but without properly labeled data, the accuracy of these predictions will be way off. Even with accuracy labeled data, these problems are still difficult to solve. They state they've collected 90TB of data, but makes no mention how that data was collected. As with most startups in the AI field, they're likely overstating how powerful their AI model is.
Lets assume they do have this system built, and has good accuracy. How are they going to convince drivers to install an ODBII device in their car, so the dealership can try to sell you accessories? "Excuse me sir/ma'am, can I install this in your car, so my spam emails and texts are more relevant to you?"

*Best monotone I could do*

Let me check with my manager to see if we can accept this deal.

Processing...

Processing.....

Processing.........

System crash.

Congrats! If you crash the system, your car is freeeeeeee!

Back