Are you waiting for a third-generation CX-5?

:
2017 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring Premium
I am. The 2020 CX-5 is still in its 2nd generation design phase, with the same basic components that existed in 2017. Albeit, there are a few new “mid-cycle refresh” features that were not available in 2017 (i.e., power fold mirrors, new key fob, new digital speedometer). However, the 2020 Mazda 3 and CX-30 have moved up to the 3rd generation design phase. The 3rd generation offers, among other things, all-LED interior and exterior lighting, no physical button on the door handle to unlock it (you slide your hand into it) and a larger infotainment screen with new software and a farewell to the touch screen. The steering wheel controls have also been redesigned.

We are in the same boat, rborroto. In addition to the features that you mentioned, I am also looking forward to newly designed seats, center console, and speaker placement to bring the CX-5 to a whole new level.

I am. The 2020 CX-5 is still in its 2nd generation design phase, with the same basic components that existed in 2017. Albeit, there are a few new “mid-cycle refresh” features that were not available in 2017 (i.e., power fold mirrors, new key fob, new digital speedometer).

Really minor thing, but the new key fob is inexplicably worse in design.

I'm trying to hold out as well. I'm hoping they fix the infotainment system issues, put in a higher res backup camera, and offer it in the polymetal grey. It would be nice if they offered the black exterior accents like they do in the new 3 hatch. It would offer a little differentiation and enhance the sporty look.

CX5 Gen 3 does not excite me at all, the features and all are fine and not the most important aspect in buying a Mazda. If they milk the same 2.5 NA with CD and just dress it better that would be awful but I don't see US consumers paying extra for Sky X. Right now the Honda hybrids really looks great. The accord is 47 mpg and as fast to 60 as Signature or GT-R, the CRV will carry same drivetrain and will be much better choice over a 2.5NA that was released in 2013.

I'm holding out for a CX-5 with plug-in hybrid that has more low end torque than the 2.5 NA. (I had held out a couple of years for the diesel, but capitulated and bought the 2018). Glad I didn't wait any longer for the diesel. The Japanese domestic market diesel looked great but what they introduced in the US was very disappointing.

the 3rd Gen probably won't be out until 2022, i'm a bit surprised that they didn't do a minor facelift on the midcycle refresh, the 2019-2020 cx-5 is the midcycle refreshed versions right? usually headlights and tail lights get a design refresh, but maybe the cx-5 looks good the way it is.

What makes you think that Gen 3 will wait until 2022? Gen 1 was 2013 and Gen 2 was 2017, so it seems to me that Gen 3 should be 2021.

From the short time I've been here, good luck trying to predict Mazda release dates.

Regarding rborroto's comments about redesigned steering wheel controls: anyone got a short list of what that is?

No. I bought the 2019 GTR, and will keep it until a SA-X I6 or similar exists in the cx5 platform. I'm guessing 2025-7. I want to buy CPO.

Really minor thing, but the new key fob is inexplicably worse in design.

To me the new key design looks too fragile. I know you're not supposed to drop the key on to the floor but this inevitably happens at some stage. It looks as though the back will come off the new key and your override key will go and drop into the drain that inevitably exists adjacent to your dropped fob. :eek: Murphy's Law wins yet again.

I really don't understand the redesign. The old key looks like it's from a luxury vehicle and feels nice, with easy to index buttons. Wouldn't stop me from buying a 2020 instead of a 2019 now, but it does make you wonder what the point of redesigning it was - it certainly isn't better and can't save much on cost.

We may get another CX-5 in our family and it would be a '20. : ) Nothing on sale beats it in the under 30k price point, IMO.

I worked for a Lexus dealer a few years ago and got to drive the substantially more expensive NX a few times. It is not as nice and does not match the styling, ride, or noise insulation as the base CX-5.

Last edited:
D00E673A-F8ED-49D1-9892-2F89B1F3844F.jpeg

Attachments

• CC741698-1667-4FD6-B65B-CE653B3F426E.jpeg
    CC741698-1667-4FD6-B65B-CE653B3F426E.jpeg
    56.4 KB · Views: 449
Somebody posted a magazine article that said the redesign was pushed back to 2023.

Surprising, but it comes from no less than the president of the company.

Found this on the web... maybe this could be the next CX5 (finger cross)... looking good tho...

That is just the CX-4 from years ago. The 5 needs to get a bit bigger and as much as it pains me to say it, it needs more tech.

My 2014 is running like new but, interested in a new turbo version IF it gets better front seats, an 8 spd AT to improve fuel mileage and I don't want or need the AWD. Maybe I can get it all in 2022, I hope. Ed

We are in the same boat, rborroto. In addition to the features that you mentioned, I am also looking forward to newly designed seats, center console, and speaker placement to bring the CX-5 to a whole new level.
What's wrong with the speaker placement?

Back