2017~2024 Are 255/55R18 PS4s on a CX-5 Turbo a bad idea?

I just bought a White 2021 CX-5 Signature and I'm already thinking about summer. My plan is to use the current Toyo A36 all seasons for the mild winters where I live and run summer tires from Spring-Fall

Any suggestions on rims and tires? I want to get good performance and ride quality for a reasonable price. Looks are secondary as my girlfriend is going to curb them anyway.

I'm planning to downsize to 18s to save weight, money, and my back from bumps.

I was thinking Michelin Pilot Sport 4 in
255/55R18. I'd wanted to go a bit wider than the stock 225s, because reviewers seem to think the CX-5 Turbo is under-tired for fuel economy reasons.

245/55R18 would be ideal from a wheel diameter perspective - 255/55 is 1% larger than stock which means worse gearing. The narrower tires would also mean I could use cheaper 8 inch wheels. However, the tire selection in that size seemed too poor.

For rims, I was looking at Motegi Racing MR146 SS6 in 18x18.5 black https://www.motegiracing.com/product/wheels/mr146-ss6/?attribute_pa_finish=satin-black
They seemed to be the cheapest semi-reputable option below 20lb. I'm looking for a comprimise between Chinesium rims I hate and Enkois that I'll cry over when my girlfriend curbs them.

Last edited:
I just bought a White 2021 CX-5 Signature and I'm already thinking about summer. My plan is to use the current Toyo A36 all seasons for the mild winters where I live and run summer tires from Spring-Fall

Any suggestions on rims and tires? I want to get good performance and ride quality for a reasonable price. Looks are secondary as my girlfriend is going to curb them anyway.

255/55R18. I'd wanted to go a bit wider than the stock 225s, because reviewers seem to think the CX-5 Turbo is under-tired for fuel economy reasons.

245/55R18 would be ideal from a wheel diameter perspective - 255/55 is 1% larger than stock which means worse gearing. The narrower tires would also mean I could use cheaper 8 inch wheels. However, the tire selection in that size seemed too poor.

For rims, I was looking at Motegi Racing MR146 SS6 in 18x18.5 black https://www.motegiracing.com/product/wheels/mr146-ss6/?attribute_pa_finish=satin-black
They seemed to be the cheapest semi-reputable option below 20lb. I'm looking for a comprimise between Chinesium rims I hate and Enkois that I'll cry over when my girlfriend curbs them.
I can see black rubbing marks on my front struts with factory 225/55R19 tires. If you want wider tires than 225, you’re running the risk of rubbing the front strut unless you add spacer or change the wheel offset. Either way it’d change the suspension geometry and complicate the tire alignment, not to mention adding more load on suspension components which would reduce their designed service life.

Last edited:
You’ll be fine with that size tire with lower offset wheel. Need to find a pic, but we’ve got powder coated rx8 wheels on our ‘19 at only 21 lbs per wheel. Benefit to these wheels is they are the same centerbore (so no centering rings) and can use stock lug nuts. 50mm offset would necessitate spacers for tires much wider than 235mm

Another great wheel option would be off the Lancer Evolutions...they have relatively light cast 17’s & 18’s by Enkei, as well as super light forged 17’s and 18’s by BBS. Same bolt pattern, same centerbore, and slightly wider & lower offset which would be perfect for wider tires on a cx5. Was going to go this route but found the rx8 wheels for a lot less $$$ so went with those.

FYI, late model Ferrari & Maserati wheels also share the same bolt pattern & centerbore as our cx5. Almost out a set of staggered California Speedline 19’s on ours, but the rear 19x10’s wouldn’t clear the subframe. Small spacer would’ve fixed it but went with the rx8’s instead

879318BC-9380-44BF-8EEC-EFF4CBF01494.jpeg

You’ll be fine with that size tire with lower offset wheel. Need to find a pic, but we’ve got powder coated rx8 wheels on our ‘19 at only 21 lbs per wheel. Benefit to these wheels is they are the same centerbore (so no centering rings) and can use stock lug nuts. 50mm offset would necessitate spacers for tires much wider than 235mm

Another great wheel option would be off the Lancer Evolutions...they have relatively light cast 17’s & 18’s by Enkei, as well as super light forged 17’s and 18’s by BBS. Same bolt pattern, same centerbore, and slightly wider & lower offset which would be perfect for wider tires on a cx5. Was going to go this route but found the rx8 wheels for a lot less $$$ so went with those.

FYI, late model Ferrari & Maserati wheels also share the same bolt pattern & centerbore as our cx5. Almost out a set of staggered California Speedline 19’s on ours, but the rear 19x10’s wouldn’t clear the subframe. Small spacer would’ve fixed it but went with the rx8’s instead
Did you get those powder coated yourself, or did they come that way? I like the look, I considered getting them when hunting for winter tire wheels.

Bonus, they look easy to clean. I like the ones I got for my 19s, but they are a real pain to clean.

I had them powder coated and yes they’re super easy to clean. Running 235/60/18 tires that barely clear the front struts, but no spacers, rings, etc. They bolt right up with stock lugs as if they came factory

I can see black rubbing marks on my front struts with factory 225/55R19 tires. If you want wider tires than 225, you’re running the risk of rubbing the front strut unless you add spacer or change the wheel offset. Either way it’d change the suspension geometry and complicate the tire alignment, not to mention adding more load on suspension components which would reduce their designed service life.
They must have changed something between the 2016 and 2018 models...
the 2018 with ET45 and 225 55r19 didn't rub...however it is very very tight and there is very little space for increased width... Switched to 225 65r17 without rubbing and hoping the 235 70r16's won't rub...think the 235 should be safe but 245 is pushing it without a lower offset rim or spacers and would be very hesitant to even go to 255. Too much increased width.

Staying with 235 70r16 with ET45 keeps me close to the the original scrub radius with little chance of rub and hopefully not sacrifice too much handling.

If the 235 rubs, will run 3 inch spacers or switch to Montegi ET40 rims to get the clearance.

Last edited:

What's your original size on the 2021?

Did they increase the brake size?

Will a 17 inch fit over the brakes?

You might consider dropping to a 17 inch...235 65r17 has alot of options available and will improve your ride... Noticed the Mazdas have a stiff suspension... Good for holding the road but you feel the bumps...even with the 17 inch I am currently running hence why I'm dropping to 16 inch. 16 inch won't fit over your 2021 sig brakes, but 17 might. If you become interested in 17, you'll need to research/check if they clear the brakes.

225 and 235 are the sweet spots. 225 is ideal, 235 is possible.

Without a lower offset wheel or spacers, 245 will rub..you probably need to drop down to a 38 or 40 offset if plan on 245. But like yrwei pointed out, you're messing with the suspension geometry, added load and wear to your suspension/brake components, etc.
Some here have run 245 with lower offset rims and are happy with the setup. My preference was to stick close to stock with 235 for now but might increase to 245 later. But like yrwei pointed out, will come with increased wear and tear on my your vehicle.

The 255 is probably way too wide, even with a lower offset rim.

You can use the wheel calculation tools on www.tiresize.com and www.wheel-size.com to see if your rim will rub.

Last edited:
Back