Apple Map, Waze or Google Maps on HUD

Apollothedog

2019 CX-5 GTR
I was in my buddies Honda Accord and was comparing the HUD to the one on the CX5 and the Honda HUD can show directions via Android Auto and Google Maps, he said it works with CarPlay as well. I know we can display directions from the onboard Navi system, but is there a shot that we can also utilize Car Play to display navi stuff on the Mazda HUD?

So does the Honda's HUD actually display the maps you see on the phone (like an external projector), or does it translate the directions from those applications and provide them on the standard display you would see from the native Honda NAV system?

The Honda system displays the same info from Waze and Google maps that ours does using the native Nav system. Mostly street and turn info, not the whole map.

That would be a really nice feature but don't think most people would care. Amazing how many people I see in modern cars actually holding and talking into their phone...

That would be a really nice feature but don't think most people would care. Amazing how many people I see in modern cars actually holding and talking into their phone...

I never talk on my phone when driving (although this has recently changed with the phone being tied hands-free into the infotainment system). When I was buying my current home here in the sticks and was in the middle of dealing with all those people (real estate agent/home inspector/insurance), I would let those calls go to Voice Mail and then pull over somewhere to call back. I remember one guy seeing me pull over to the side of the road, and stopping his yard work to walk over and ask if I needed help! He's probably never seen someone do that before.

But I get what you're saying. There's now a safer way to talk while driving, and people have paid for that function, yet don't use it. I don't always remember to connect my phone to the system, and if I get a call while not connected, I let it go to Voice Mail.

Maybe I'm not as important as everyone else is...

The Honda system displays the same info from Waze and Google maps that ours does using the native Nav system. Mostly street and turn info, not the whole map.
I guess this is only true for android auto - you can not project on Carplay ??

That would be awesome to have my Apple Maps, google maps, Waze, etc. I never really use the OEM navigation!

OEM Navi still has its merits.
When signals are lost (even GPS), OEM navigation can continue to track/extrapolate your position on map through steering angle and speed. A good backup, I'd say, for $50.

I just learned that the new Mazda CX-50 display nav instructions on HUD( Active Driving Display). If you use Apply CarPlay, Apple Maps display directions in HUD. If you use Android Auto, Google Maps display navigation instructions in HUD while maintaining traffic sign recognition and other important info displayed in HUD as well. I really hope/wish that Mazda can add this feature to my current 2021 CX-9 and 2022 CX-5 PP.

I would love to see this added as well.
I use OEM nav just to get directions on HUD, but its Sirius traffic data is trash :(

Last edited:
Sirius traffic is slow and stale but it does work for reroute and such on highways anyway.

I would be OK more with google maps if I could get to an all music screen like on the 10.25 in screen in connect. Right now cool walk only allows a split screen and connect offers no easy way to navigate to the music screen once you go to the main menu. That should be an easy sw fix imho.

I would be OK more with google maps if I could get to an all music screen like on the 10.25 in screen in connect. Right now cool walk only allows a split screen and connect offers no easy way to navigate to the music screen once you go to the main menu. That should be an easy sw fix imho.
I'm not exactly sure what your problem is, but if you want to transition from google maps to the Mazda 'currently playing' screen, have you tried a long press on the Home button? That works for my CX-50.

If that's not what you mean, please expand further.

Back