Anyone using R-12a in their A/C system?

My A/C system's receiver/drier has a slow leak so I'm going to replace it before it gets hot out. It seems R-134a isn't very easy to get locally, the only stuff I find is R-12a which is supposedly a lot better than R-134a. The manufacturers of these R-12a refrigerants boast colder temperatures with less engine load as well as it being environmentally-friendly.

I could get some R-134a from the states but I'm wondering if it's worth the trouble, if this R-12a stuff is as good as it's supposed to be then I want to use it. Have any of you tried it?

Relevant links:
- http://www.redtek.com/win_12a_prod.html
- http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=145180

R-134a is the most common, theres a reason R-12 isnt used much anymore (at least in the states, didnt know it still was used up there). R-12 is terrible for the enviroment, if you have a leak, stay away from it. Most shops should be able to refill R-134a. Plus you have to use different oil for the R-12 systems.

R-134a is better overall, its in the car, so stick with it.

R-134a is the most common, theres a reason R-12 isnt used much anymore (at least in the states, didnt know it still was used up there). R-12 is terrible for the enviroment, if you have a leak, stay away from it. Most shops should be able to refill R-134a. Plus you have to use different oil for the R-12 systems.

R-134a is better overall, its in the car, so stick with it.

I'm not talking about R-12, I'm talking about R-12a!

It's a newer refridgerant that's actually better for the environment than R-134a (hence why it's so hard to get R-134a around here).

R-12a....what the hell is that? I just got my refrigerant handeling license, and i've never even heard of that
only heard of R-134a, R-12, and HFO-1234yf...which is the new one coming out here.

but from the link you posted, it looks ok, as long as you dont need to upgrade any hoses I would go for it, i know people used to have to upgrade hoses when they went from R-12 to R-134a because R-134a is molecularlly smaller then R-12 and would seep through the rubber...cant say how R-12a compares tho

From what I've read everything stays the same (hoses, drier, expansion valve, even the compressor oil) and the only difference is that you don't put the system under a vacuum before filling it (otherwise the refrigerant might freeze once it enters the system).

They also claim that you need less than half the mass of R-12a than is required when using R-134a (the low-side pressure stays about the same and the high-side pressure can drop by 50psi).

the refrigerant might freeze? dam...thats crazy. so what kind of machine do you use to refill the system then? it has its own machine?
I would say go for it, and post up how it is

I have R-134a in my car, just did a evacuate and recharge at school, and i swear it can blow snowflakes out lol

the refrigerant might freeze? dam...thats crazy. so what kind of machine do you use to refill the system then? it has its own machine?
I would say go for it, and post up how it is

It doesn't need it's own machine, you use the regular R-134a charging equipment. The procedure would be something like this:
  1. Evacuate system by pulling large vacuum
  2. Release most of the vacuum
  3. Charge with R-12a
The refrigerant is apparently much more tolerant to moisture than R-134a so releasing the vacuum shouldn't have that much of an effect.

I have R-134a in my car, just did a evacuate and recharge at school, and i swear it can blow snowflakes out lol

I don't want snowflakes, I want ICICLES! :D

So I guess I'll give it a shot.

Back