Anyone picked up the iPod/Mazda connector yet?

Kid Red

:
Mazda 5
It's been out for a few months but haven't read any reviews about it yet or comments. Anyone picked one up and installed it yet?

Good price

Captain KRM P5 said:

This is a good price. I paid $189.95 Canadian (about US$170) for mine at the Mazda dealer. They then charged me 1.5 hours for installation, which I gathered is a 30-minute job at the most if you know what you are doing - unfortunately I am not one of those guys who can take my car apart and put it back together.

Captain, not a bad price, I may be ordering from you soon.

we&2kids- So you like the connector? Sound quality compared to the radio & CD? So only two people have this thing installed? I would have thought people would be all over this since it uses the steering wheel controls and Auxmod advanced never came out.

Sound quality is good, no difference from playing the CD. I mean ultimately the quality depends on the music files on your iPod, but there is certainly no loss of quality when using the connector. I just love having the ability to control everything from the steering wheel. Since the iPod is hidden in the glove box, I often just leave it there so it will resume playing the next time I start the engine. May not be a good idea for battery life if the weather gets too cold or too hot, but I like the convenience.

Kid Red said:
It's been out for a few months but haven't read any reviews about it yet or comments. Anyone picked one up and installed it yet?

Hey, all!

Just want to let you know that I got the Mazda Genuine Parts iPod integration kit hooked up in my 5. It cost a total of $249.00. They put the cable in the glove compartment and that is where the iPod stays during use. You don't control the music through the iPod itself. You control everything through the stereo.

To access the iPod when it's connected, you have to depress the CD button until "EX" (for external) is displayed. Then, it has menu options you go through numbered 1 through 6. Each number represents something different, i.e., 1 representes Artists, 2 represents Albums, etc. You scroll through these numbers until you get the option you want and it will start playing. Then you make your selections using the stereo buttons.

I have to admit that it's pretty tricky getting used to it and using it. I just got it last night, and still have to play with it more to get used to it. But, it has its advantages. #1 - The iPod is charged while it's playing, so there's no need for an additional charger and it will play continuously; #2 - the fact that you only control it through the stereo makes it a lot safer to use while driving as opposed to looking for your iPod, looking at the screen and making your selections all while driving; #3 - the sound is great and it sounds just like a CD; and #4 - it's a Mazda Genuine Accessory/Part, so it's part of the warranty and won't void any other part of the car's warranty.

On the down side, though: #1 - it's tricky to use; #2 - it will take you a while to select whatever Artist or Album you want to hear, unless you select it beforehand on the iPod itself and THEN connect it to the system, but even then if you want to select the following track through the steering wheel controls, it will bring you to the FIRST song on your iPod listed alphabetically by Artist; and #3 - they left two gaping holes in the back of my glove compartment, which takes away from its storage capacity and utility since objects can fall through the holes and into the inside of the dashboard area.

Overall, though, I LOVE my iPod hook up. I'm just sad that the two gaping holes are there inside the glove box and that my glove box door no longer opens in a dampened manner, but just PLOPS open with no resistance whatsoever. I should take it back for that, though I don't know if that can be fixed. What do you think?

NissMazLover said:
Hey, all!

On the down side, though: #1 - it's tricky to use; #2 - it will take you a while to select whatever Artist or Album you want to hear, unless you select it beforehand on the iPod itself and THEN connect it to the system, but even then if you want to select the following track through the steering wheel controls, it will bring you to the FIRST song on your iPod listed alphabetically by Artist; and #3 - they left two gaping holes in the back of my glove compartment, which takes away from its storage capacity and utility since objects can fall through the holes and into the inside of the dashboard area.

QUOTE]

I am glad you like it just as I do. I had mine installed for 4 months now and have been loving it. It is not the most user friendly as you described, but I have since learned to re-organize my playlists every now and then to make my song selection easier. For example, I just add !! before the name of the few playlists that I want to listen to that week, and they will all show up together at the top which makes it very easy to navigate from one to another. As for the installation, I also had the dealer installed it for me and they did not make any big gaping holes. You should check with your dealership to make sure they have not done anything wrong.

The connector is a good solution for me as I am mostly concerned about getting distracted by my iPod while driving (I had the cassette adaptor before).

well we just got ours done... installed price was $205... I did some major haggling, so don't expect that deal per se. Its handy but archaic, I'm not at all happy with its pathetic interface. A huge screen like that, you'd think the engineers could program it to see the texting from the IPOD... heck I paid $200ish installed for my pioneer cd player and IPOD adapter in our other car and it rocks compared to the Mazda one. My biggest complaint is that when in random mode, if you hit the next song it doesn't go to the next "random" song, it goes to the next song in the list... stoopid.... If I was doing it again, I'd get the Tape deck and an adapter for the same price... IPOD chargers are nearly nill and ez to get.

raspykart said:
well we just got ours done... installed price was $205... I did some major haggling, so don't expect that deal per se. Its handy but archaic, I'm not at all happy with its pathetic interface. A huge screen like that, you'd think the engineers could program it to see the texting from the IPOD... heck I paid $200ish installed for my pioneer cd player and IPOD adapter in our other car and it rocks compared to the Mazda one. My biggest complaint is that when in random mode, if you hit the next song it doesn't go to the next "random" song, it goes to the next song in the list... stoopid.... If I was doing it again, I'd get the Tape deck and an adapter for the same price... IPOD chargers are nearly nill and ez to get.
I know on the mazda 6 you can select either artist list or song list fyi. Check into it. I think its as easy as holding two buttons for a second or so.

I agree the interface sucks

Zoom5Zoom said:
I know on the mazda 6 you can select either artist list or song list fyi. Check into it. I think its as easy as holding two buttons for a second or so.

I agree the interface sucks

I got one installed on my Mazda5 and all you have to do to get the full control from the iPod is the following:

- turn on the engine
- put the radio on the FM
- plug the iPod
- push simulteanously the top and middle buttons of the iPod for a few seconds (it will reset)
- when the controls come back, change the radio to EX and you can now control the iPod with it's own controls (no more through the console though)

It's clunky, but for a long ride, it's not too bad... Everytime you turn off the engine, you'll have to redo the steps...

cron said:
I got one installed on my Mazda5 and all you have to do to get the full control from the iPod is the following:

- turn on the engine
- put the radio on the FM
- plug the iPod
- push simulteanously the top and middle buttons of the iPod for a few seconds (it will reset)
- when the controls come back, change the radio to EX and you can now control the iPod with it's own controls (no more through the console though)

It's clunky, but for a long ride, it's not too bad... Everytime you turn off the engine, you'll have to redo the steps...

WOW! Nice find.....as you say, it is still a hassle though. Can anyone confirm this in other models?

cool, how'd you find out about that procedure?? I sent Mazda a nasty-gram so we'll see if anything comes of it. Maybe if enough of us complained.... you'd thing their own people would've tested their product and kicked themselves in the butts a few times... sheesh. I guess their has to be a flaw in every diamond

raspykart said:
cool, how'd you find out about that procedure?? I sent Mazda a nasty-gram so we'll see if anything comes of it. Maybe if enough of us complained.... you'd thing their own people would've tested their product and kicked themselves in the butts a few times... sheesh. I guess their has to be a flaw in every diamond

Il faut rendre Csar ce qui revient Csar...

I read that on another forum (don't remember which one) while googling around to find a solution. I was surprised my dealer couldn't tell me that (they may have their reasons not to explain that solution).

Good find!

I am always amazed by how people can find these "back door" operations. Just tried it and it works like a charm. The bad news is now my wife controls all the music, as the steering wheel buttons won't work in that mode. In fact I tried by pressing the up and down buttons on the steering wheel a few times, and it messed up the system completely (shut down by itself every 5 seconds). Had to unplug the iPod and reconnect, and it worked again in the normal mode. Hey that's how I regained control of my music!

jbors said:
Just wanted to say that we're launching new iPod adapters for Mazdas and looking for some brave people to try it and give us feedbacks / pics.
We should get everything in stock by next Monday.
http://indashpc.org/new/ipod_adapters/grom-ipod-maz.html
Let me know if you have any questions...

When you say you are looking for people to try it and provide feedback, am I to assume it's a free item to beta test? If it's free, I can be brave enough to try it out, as long as you promise it won't fry anything, lol.

Back