Anyone know if this unused fuse slot is safe to use for ~15A ?

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT
I want to install a VHF/UHF ham radio in my 2016, but don't want to poke holes through the grommet to go direct to the battery, even though that would be the better way to go. I took a look at the fusebox, and noticed there's an empty tab between the 30A power window fuse, and the 15A rear outlet fuse.

Seen here (yellow arrow):
AKqvy9M.jpg

It's the same size as the 30A slot. I put a circuit tester on it and it's got power, even with ignition off, just what I want. Curious if anyones used it for anything, and what current it's safe for, if anyone knows? I need about 15A. Thanks!

Can't answer directly but what I did is buy a thing called a piggyback fuse holder. You remove one fuse, plug in the new holder. It has jacks for two fuses, one to replace the one you removed and one in line with the pigtail that goes to your radio.

Can't answer directly but what I did is buy a thing called a piggyback fuse holder. You remove one fuse, plug in the new holder. It has jacks for two fuses, one to replace the one you removed and one in line with the pigtail that goes to your radio.

I need to do that with my dash-cam to free up the front 12V.

Does stock fuse go in upper or lower connector?

piggybackfuse.jpg

I believe it's listed on the back of the cover; it may not relate to a feature you have in your model or that is available in NA.

I believe it's listed on the back of the cover; it may not relate to a feature you have in your model or that is available in NA.

Yeah, the cover did not show this particular slot, unfortunately. It was just a blank space on the diagram.

Those are great for low current needs, but the short pigtail of thin gauge wire wouldn't do it for me :)

For anyone interested, I've been successfully running a VHF/UHF transceiver off that empty fuse slot for a few weeks now without issues. The radio draws about 15 amps in transmit mode. No issues at all, not even any strange RFI.

I just used one of the below spade type connectors on the positive wire, and pushed it directly on the tab shown in my pic above. Then a ring connector on the negative wire to the 10mm chassis bolt on the fuse box. Of course the power cord also has an inline fuse on both + and - sides.

blue%20female%20spad%20connector.jpg

Last edited:
Back