Anyone Here Get Their 2.5T Tuned Yet?

Interested in boosted 2.5T.

I currently own a cx5 diesel with self made tune, doing the rounds okay, but I would prefer not to go through the process of writing my own tune again..

This is more of a curiosity post than anything being very new to Mazdas.

It's been a while since I last owned a car with a turbo. I came to a CX-9 from a -yawn- Honda Odyssey, but before that necessity, I owned Saabs. I had a 9-5 Aero wagon that was stock and before that a 9-3 SE that had a stage 3 tune and many aftermarket (small, tiny, itty-bitty aftermarket) parts as well as bigger turbo, injectors, exhaust, etc.

What first got me in to tuning my 9-3 was a $40 set up called a manual boost controller. Got 30 horsepower from that $40 and a 1/4 hour install. It didn't come without risks as it wasn't computer controlled at all, but if you used it smartly, it was good fun. I'm guessing there's nothing similar to that for CX-9s? That Saab would be 20 years old now... things have changed a lot.

After reading this thread I am very surprised to hear that Mazda, a company with a much bigger market share than Saab ever had in the US, has such a limited pool of aftermarket suppliers for performance parts. CorkSport's parts look really nice and it's good to see that they are developing others for the CX-9. I'm sure there are other companies out there than make parts for the CX-9 too. But there seems to only be two tuners though. Is the Sky-Activ system just extremely difficult to tune or is there that little of a demand? Since this engine is also in the Turbo 6 sedan I would think that that would help spur demand for tuning another vehicle with the same powerplant?

You can't look at Mazda's market share vs. Saab - Mazda has sold around 100k 2.5T engines total. It's a new engine that was only available in a family hauler up until recently. I'm not surprised at all that there's little aftermarket support - it's a niche market. Perhaps now that the engine is in more vehicles the tuners will come.

Ok, just to clarify motivation varies on why tune a CX9 2017 2.5T, I’m just trying for any cool I can get on CX9 GT my wife loves, sold my 2015 RS5 to have 1 car in retirement. CX9 is top safety pick, so just looking for cool, cost not the issue. I receive Ceika Coilovers today, Michelin 255/45 AS3 on Avant Garde 20” soon, planning to lower 2-3”. Plan to add exhaust? , cool air?, and any reasonable tune. But so far the so called tuners have NOTHING to offer.

Ok, just to clarify motivation varies on why tune a CX9 2017 2.5T, I’m just trying for any cool I can get on CX9 GT my wife loves, sold my 2015 RS5 to have 1 car in retirement. CX9 is top safety pick, so just looking for cool, cost not the issue. I receive Ceika Coilovers today, Michelin 255/45 AS3 on Avant Garde 20” soon, planning to lower 2-3”. Plan to add exhaust? , cool air?, and any reasonable tune. But so far the so called tuners have NOTHING to offer.

Word is that CorkSport is working on a tune with DrTuned, who is based in Canada. You can get all the bolt-ons that CorkSport offers first. Then, when the tune is released, you'll be able to make the most of it as it will likely be optimized for use with CorkSport parts installed.

Those Ceika coilovers are the ones I wanted to put on my own CX-9. I'd love to see how they look and perform for you.

Was at the dealership yesterday and they had CorkSports parts in the showroom. I'm guessing this means that they don't void the warranty?

Was at the dealership yesterday and they had CorkSports parts in the showroom. I'm guessing this means that they don't void the warranty?

I guess it depends on the part. They may still void the warranty, and they may state it in the fine print when you buy or install the part. I know some dealerships do this and will honour warranties post-install, as long as the parts are installed by the dealership.

We've been looking around for a local Mazda 2.5T to work on JB4 development. The electornics look similar to several of our other applications so should be a piece of cake. If anyone has one and is in our area, 93065, drop me an email. We'll make it worth your while. :) terry@burgertuning.com

@Terry@BMS Welcome and thank you for joining Mazdas247...It appears you're a vendor, please note you will need "Authorized Vendor" status if you wish to conduct business on Mazdas247.

To apply, please visit our application page below...
Your interest and cooperation would be very much appreciated, thanks again!

Hope to see some traction here soon. In the event I get a CX-9, it would be nice to see what sort of potential the 2.5T.

Does anyone have any updates on this? Or with all going on with the virus is everything at a halt?
I shared this on the CX-5 page yesterday and emailed Terry this morning to inquire about the process of making one's car available for development purposes. I don't live in California, but if nobody else expresses interest in loaning their car to Burger Tuning for development, I'll consider buying my CX-5 Signature in CA and dropping it off at his shop before returning to IL. I'm a big fan of their JB4. I had it on my BMW 335ix. Very reliable and fantastic results. If a JB4 became available for the 2.5T, it would seal the deal on me replacing my '14 CX-5 GT with a '20 Signature. I'll keep you guys posted.

Last edited:
I shared this on the CX-5 page yesterday and emailed Terry this morning to inquire about the process of making one's car available for development purposes. I don't live in California, but if nobody else expresses interest in loaning their car to Burger Tuning for development, I'll consider buying my CX-5 Signature in CA and dropping it off at his shop before returning to IL. I'm a big fan of their JB4. I had it on my BMW 335ix and MINI Cooper S. Very reliable and fantastic results. If a JB4 became available for the 2.5T, it would seal the deal on me replacing my '14 CX-5 GT with a '20 Signature. I'll keep you guys posted.

It would be nothing short of amazing if you and Terry were able to somehow make this work. I'm crossing my fingers 🤞

Spoke with the owner via email. Once all of this COVID dust settles they would need the vehicle for a couple of days to log data and determine the proper connectors. Whoever provides the car will most likely be compensated with a free JB4 tuner which starts around $500. I'm not opposed to loaning my future new car to them for a couple days for development purposes, but if I can avoid the plane ticket and costs associated with shipping a car back to IL, I will.

For those of you unfamiliar with their products feel free to check out their site Burgertuning.com . They started tuning turbo BMW's back in 2007. This is the first tuner to make an effort to develop an actual performance product for these 2.5T's. Let's do what we can to help get this thing to market.

I talked to Daniel at DR Tuning last week and he said he has been working on a tune for the 2.5T on and off. He told me it would be easier if he had a test vehicle to work with. He has lots of experience with the skyactive engines. He told me the computer that runs the turbo motor has about 4000 tables to deal with. So bottom line is he has no time line with a tune. I saw a picture of the turbo unit and its much more than just the turbo and the exhaust manifold is way different that a standard manifold. Just take look at all the plumbing and electrical connections on the engine. I think it will be a long time before we see anything. I contacted Versa Tune and they said they are working on a tune but they told me that 3 years ago!!!

Hey all,
I just got my 17 GT AWD last week and I love it...Right now all I can come up with is Orange Virus Tuning, but it seems there aren't any credible reviews out for their tunes on our motor just yet...A lot of the Ecoboost guys are running tunes on their 3.5s and 2.7s and what not and they're showing good power gains with solid reliability...

open deck or closed deck? is the 2.5t an open deck engine? if so, it may not be able to handle that much most as opposed to a closed deck engine. How much more boost were you wanting to run; plus, what can the stock turbo produce (reliably) before having to move to a bigger turbo?

it might be easier to just get a pedal commander/sprint booster (or similar) and a cat-back exhaust and call it a day. Sure, the pedal/boost thing doesn't add power; it just tricks the ECU and throttle postion...

Once you start upping the hp/tq, other parts of the driveline begin reaching their limits. I'm not sure how much Mazda beefed up the transmission/driveline to handle power above stock levels, so how much more power is still safe - 10%? 20%?

How many CX-5 owners 2..5 and 2.5t, are looking to mad power out of their engine? Answer: not many. I'm sure it can be done, but the CX-5 isn't exactly a Mazdaspeed product, even with the turbo engine.

Best of luck in your quest. As you go through your project, you will be a trendsetter, an influencer, a pioneer. document your journey on YouTube, build a following, earn royalties through views, likes, and copious amounts of ads (1 every 3 minutes)...

Matt at Orange Virus told me that with the stock motor his early numbers were 310hp and 390tq. he had done development on the motor and the last thing he said was it would be on the market in about 4 months. Then all of a sudden he closed the web site for 2 months and was only going to work with Toyota trucks. He is not willing to sell the development software to anyone at this time.

Hope to see some traction here soon. In the event I get a CX-9, it would be nice to see what sort of potential the 2.5T.

Dude, do you have the same user name on M3post and messaged me about my WTB tire ad? Small world if so.

You should pick up a cx9, it's a great suv with nice driving dynamics. Definitely punches above its class.

Latest posts

Back