Anyone Here Get Their 2.5T Tuned Yet?

And just for reference, my previous car was a 2016 Mustang GT with a Ford Performance Power Pack 2 (installed by dealer, registered for warranty), using hydrogenated DLC coatings to increase power as well. Power Pack 2 was rated for 455 HP (up from the stock 435HP), but I was making about 475 HP on the dyno from the 5.0L V8.

That was a very specific case for me because Ford Performance products are still warrantied by Ford if installed by the dealer. What I'm suggesting is, use the efficiency enhancements component on daily drivers vs. the performance enhancements.

Reliability is far more important for a vehicle we depend on and the CX-9 really is well engineered for what it is. It is my personal opinion that with non-performance cars, emphasis on reliability / longevity / efficiency should be the main focus unless you have a 2nd vehicle and can pay for a replacement engine outright just in case on a "tuned vehicle" or if the tune is covered by warranty as in the case of Ford Performance / Ford.

I'm not sure what other manufacturers offer that, but I find it hard to believe Ford was the only one offering a factory hot tune to maximize performance at the expense of being able to use low octane fuels (91 or greater).

Last edited:
**Just a follow on the initial question**

Back story:
So I have the '18 MZ6 2.5T. So far I've done the following:
- Cat back exhaust
- Swapped out plastic intake piping for Aluminum Piping
- Intercooler & Piping upgrade
- Performance brake rotors, pads & suspension kit.

I'm looking to get a tune because I have a few more tasks to do.
- Upgraded Downpipe
- Centerfeed intake manifold
- Upgraded throttle

Do anyone know any reputable tuners? 👀👀 I'm currently pushing 297-306HP depending on my octane.

Was able to get a 2019 CX9 in the office today to test out the new JB4 V1 Application MAF control. Worked like a charm! Testing was done on 91 octane fuel. I used "rigged" connectors for this dyno testing but we're hoping to have the real connectors here in a few weeks and then will start mailing those out to V1 Application customers. CX, Mazda6, etc.

@Terry@BMS Correct me if I'm wrong

Mazda brochure figures 250 hp - 320 ft/lbs (93 oct) but you're using 91 octane, so 227 hp - 320 ftlbs (unknown accuracy).

Your stock figures 225.67 hp (-1.33) - 296.99 ft/lbs (-23.01) (I assume to the wheels)

Drivetrain loss - ~9% (isn't this usually around 15%?)

So at 9% drivetrain loss crank power with map 6 is 299.03 hp (+49.03) - 400.74 ft/lbs (+80.74)?

At 15% drivetrain loss (internet average) crank power with map 6 is 320.14 hp (+70.14) - 429.03 ft/lbs (+109.03)

Wow, that's really impressive.

Will 93 octane effect this?

Is the tune safe and within spec of the motor/drivetrain?

What limitations are you running into with the stock hardware? I would assume fuel, boost, and possibly intake volume restriction with the tiny factory airbox inlet.

I ran a reliable competitors stage 1 tune on my audi for the greater part of 240k miles without issues, and am interested in your product.

Sorry I don't check this forum often, but you can always hit me up on jb4tech or via email. :)

On the power output and math I prefer to deal with what we can actually measure vs. marketing numbers. It's not like you can drive around an engine without a car anyway, so "crank power" has no real basis in reality.

The higher the octane the better. 93 will make a little more than 91, for example.

The turbo is currently the power restriction, preventing us from making more power than we are, but we're still evaluating what we can do on the tuning end. So far map1 and map2 has been really solid.

Latest posts

Back