Anyone have aftermarket struts for hood?

Kedis82ZE8

'15 CX-5 AWD GT w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
Call me lazy but I have grown use to struts on all of my vehicles for the hood so ordered some of https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

88C58F666F14793A56FE7247_zps530ad389.gif

Anyone else have these?

Last edited:
They are in the part thread in my sig under interior and build thread.

Last edited:
I just installed something like those, but by a local Taiwanese brand. They work as advertised. There's also Black or White carbon versions for approx $30 USD extra.

I just installed something like those, but by a local Taiwanese brand. They work as advertised. There's also Black or White carbon versions for approx $30 USD extra.
I think the mit ones came from Taiwan. might be the same ones with a different vendor name on them.

What seems to be the best method to install? Did you have a helper? It appears you almost have to remove the hood to attach the rear brackets.

...Or can you leverage the use of the existing prop to do one side and then another? Any hood alignment issues when you tightened things down? Sorry.. lots of questions I know :)

The guy I bought from took only about 20min to install them. You don't have to remove the hood for installation. Also, no hood alignment issues at all.

What seems to be the best method to install? Did you have a helper? It appears you almost have to remove the hood to attach the rear brackets.

...Or can you leverage the use of the existing prop to do one side and then another? Any hood alignment issues when you tightened things down? Sorry.. lots of questions I know :)
It's a one man operation. You only need to remove one bolt to install it. You will need to prop the hood with a shoulder though while you seat the strut. Having a helper is useful but not necessary. Some of them have different designs, a flat bracket and an angled bracket. the flat bracket may apply more of a bending force on the hood when it is pulled down (especially when the struts are new), so keep this in mind. The angled bracket helps to mitigate this. You will understand once you install it. Don't yank on the hood when you pull it down.

Oh I should also add that one of the ball joints on my MIT hood strut broke during a reinstallation as I was trying to align it the bracket, rendering the strut useless. They sent me a replacement set free of charge, from Taiwan after about 6 months of ownership. No hassle. "MIT accessories" https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned) $75 with free shipping

The guy I bought from took only about 20min to install them. You don't have to remove the hood for installation. Also, no hood alignment issues at all.
Don't see how you won't have alignment issues when you just added a plate under the hood mounting bracket. When you attach the bracket it will add the height of the bracket to the hood. It is not very noticeable, but you can tell the difference from inside the car if you look at the seam. That's something that is expected with that type of installation on many cars though.

Last edited:
Don't see how you won't have alignment issues when you just added a plate under the hood mounting bracket. When you attach the bracket it will add the height of the bracket to the hood. It is not very noticeable, but you can tell the difference from inside the car if you look at the seam. That's something that is expected with that type of installation on many cars though.

Oh really? I didn't really inspect it after installation. I will take a closer look at it.

Chris_Top_Her :

The one I ordered appears to be flat and uses both bolt holes.

4EA754C156FE_zps95165a0a.jpg

I notice like you said the one you recommend is angled but only uses one of the bolt holes.

$(KGrHqYOKo0FJg0Z3ti-BS,GvNsl,Q~~60_57.JPG

Kit came today via DHL. I plan to install tomorrow. Since it uses both bolts on each side I am going to see if I can remove one bolt & loosen the other to get bracket in place. I will probably start on side with existing prop for additional support. I'll take some measurements with my digital caliper to see how much hood is lifted. It isn't flush on rear end anyway so may be a moot point.

Last edited:
Good to hear!!! This is one of those functional mods that I feel value in whenever I open the hood.

Latest posts

Back