Anyone found an OBD2 phone app that will read transmission fluid temp?

is there even a sensor in the transmission? if you have no sensor, then no app will help you.

is there even a sensor in the transmission? if you have no sensor, then no app will help you.

+1. It might not be there at all. I've used OBD DroidScan and DashCommand and have not seen this reading.

Reviving my old ancient thread

FORScan Lite recommended by "yugrus". Thanks Again. Love watching the engagement ratio of the i-Activ on the rear end.

In addition to AT fluid temp you can see rear diff temp as well.

I was pulling my boat today over the pass and pushed it pretty hard. The difference in temp between coolant and AT was about 15-20 degrees at the hardest. AT got up to around 211 degrees F while Coolant was around 192.

I have a Tacoma and use Torque Pro on my android phone. I got the OBD 2 and the app to assist with the changing of the automatic transmission fluid (ATF) in my truck. You see the tranny is "sealed" and there's no dip stick to check the level of the fluid. In order to properly check the level, the ATF needs to be between 115 & 130 degrees F. The first time I plugged in the OBD 2, I could not find a ATF temperature. I had to set it up the software with a PID code in that would tell the OBD to read the ATF temp. I went on Tacoma World forum and the Torque forum and found the codes for both temperature readings, 1 - pan temp and 2 - converter temp.

I was just about to start setting my wife's CX-5 profile up, so it'll be interesting to see what I get. I have read that by searching Ford vehicles with a similar engine might help.

if the PID works, can you share them?

thank you

If you're asking me, yes. Just remember the PID that I found and used was for my 07 Tacoma.

Here is how I entered in Torque:

For sensor 1 (Pan Temp):

OBD2 Mode and PID:
21D9

Long Name:
Transmission Fluid Temperature 1

Short Name:
TFT 1

Minimum Value:

Maximum value:

Scale factor:
x1

Unit Type:
*F (I found a degree symbol on my phone keyboard which will replace the *)

Equation:
((((E*256)+F) * (7/100) * 400)/10)

OBD Header to use:
left blank

For sensor 2 (Converter outlet temp):

OBD2 Mode and PID:
21D9

Long Name:
Transmission Fluid Temperature 2

Short Name:
TFT 2

Minimum Value:

Maximum value:

Scale factor:
x1

Unit Type:
*F (Same here replace * with a degree symbol)

Equation:
((((G*256)+H) * (7/100) * 400)/10)

OBD Header to use:
left blank

Plenty of write ups on PID's over there at Tacoma World. Here's a link to one. Plus, there are many more for newer models. Let me know the pid I provided works or if you find one that does. I set up the profile (vehicle specs) on my wife's 2016 CX-5 last night, so I'm very interested what PID might work for her car.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/write-up-torque-app-obd2-reader.183560/page-9#post-4320421

Reviving my old ancient thread

FORScan Lite recommended by "yugrus". Thanks Again. Love watching the engagement ratio of the i-Activ on the rear end.

In addition to AT fluid temp you can see rear diff temp as well.

I was pulling my boat today over the pass and pushed it pretty hard. The difference in temp between coolant and AT was about 15-20 degrees at the hardest. AT got up to around 211 degrees F while Coolant was around 192.
What obd2 reader are you using? TorquePro reads out trans temps as well, although I thought some one on here said that the same sensor reports both(temps are the same) I'm using BAFX reader and can't get the FORScan demo app to connect

Just using one of these ELM 327 Wifi adapters with Forscan

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

61Jt6J5OMiL._SL1500_.jpg

On the Toyota stuff.. nice thing about OBD Fusion is that it just works. No need to put in the custom PIDS. Pan and TC temp are easily obtained. Just add the gauges. I use Fusion on my GX.

Nothing to enter for the CX-5 temps I listed above. Just add them in on Forscan Lite.

** What I noticed about temps was that on flat level ground the difference between coolant and AT temps was usually a few degrees. Head off to a hill towing a trailer and you will see a wide gap of 10-20 degrees. It was interesting to see how warm the rear diff gets too.

Forscan - Android

Forscan IOS

OBD Fusion - Android

OBD Fusion - IOS

Last edited:
Nothing to enter for the CX-5 temps I listed above. Just add them in on Forscan Lite.

From your post, it appears that the OBD Fusion App brings up the transmision temp (and others) for the CX-5 by adding gauges without having to do custom PID formulas. Sounds promising. Plug and play is always better than searching for a custom PID formula that works. As for the FORScan Lite App, you'd have to add the PID. Is that correct?---->Appreciate your input!

This is the OBD2 Reader that I've had for quite a while now and use with Torque Pro for my 07 Tacoma. And yes, I had to add custom PID's for tranny temps. I've now set up the profile for my wife's CX-5 on the Torque Pro and added a transmission temp PID formual. Gonna test it out once she gets back from shopping.

Sorry... talking about different apps and vehicles.

For the CX-5

Try out Forscan Lite

Fusion will probably work as well on CX-5 but haven't tested that out for AT temps. Pricewise Forscan will be cheaper.

Sorry... talking about different apps and vehicles.

For the CX-5

Try out Forscan Lite

Fusion will probably work as well on CX-5 but haven't tested that out for AT temps. Pricewise Forscan will be cheaper.

10-4
If the PID I've entered in my Tourque Pro app doesn't work, I'm going to get a seperate reader and the FORScan app just for her CX-5

Thanks again!

On your Toyota... Fusion will read AT temps without any custom PIDs.

Yes, I saw that. Wish I'd known that a couple of years ago. But I'm done with the Tacoma as far as PID's are concerned. It's time to move on to momma's CX-5.
It's not our first Mazda, but it is our first non-Rotary Mazda.

Thanks!

Have you ever seen an actual difference between the at and engine temps?

Yes. I said this above.

"** What I noticed about temps was that on flat level ground the difference between coolant and AT temps was usually a few degrees. Head off to a hill towing a trailer and you will see a wide gap of 10-20 degrees. It was interesting to see how warm the rear diff gets too."

Finally got Forscan to work with my BAFX reader, WOW! So many parameters to choose from.

Back