Anyone else having problems with their heat shields?

thaxman

Mazda5 the Anti-Van
Somehow I missed this thread being updated over and over, day after day. To tie up some loose ends: In the diagram, the cat is #1. In real life, it is the 1st bulge after the exhaust manifold and has the lower O2 sensor immediately downstream.
In my headerwrap installation, I did not cover the resonators because I feared that they may get hotter than the rest of the exhaust because they could slightly impede flow in order to reduce noise and resonance. I have not had any issues for 3 seasons now, so I think I can report this option is a success (in drier states at least) Not sure if I would have done this if I lived in the Rust Belt or PNW.
I do like Geeshik's heat shield replacement. I just didn't want to go through the bother of prefabbing things. Using headerwrap cost me <$25 and took 15 minutes.

:
08 Mazda5 Sport, 10 CX9 Touring
To tie up some loose ends: In the diagram, the cat is #1. In real life, it is the 1st bulge after the exhaust manifold and has the lower O2 sensor immediately downstream.
Just to be clear, there are two converters on our 5's, one in the manifold assy (#1) and one at the front of the midpipe (#2). In your repair I would double check how hot the floorboards is getting above that second cat since there is no shielding above it. If it's not getting hot then maybe I wouldn't worry about it but do understand that is a converter and not a resonator.

:
2007 Mazda5
Tonight was the first night getting the car back so I could work on it. My wife is driving my truck with the kids. So far, the car has done fine without the heat shielding near the firewall. I hope to get that in tomorrow. I am also going to do an oil change, swap out the ridiculous cartridge filter housing, and change the thermostat. Her check engine light came on with the code P0126 last week. All the parts are here, and the car is up, so it's all getting done this weekend. It is a bear finding coolant for these cars. I finally settled on the Zerex purple asian coolant. I'll flush the system of the dark green and start over. That stuff is way to hard to find and it is way to expensive.

:
2007 5 GT "thing 5"
Our shield rattled on our 07, ripped it off with no side effects. Been driving that way for a year and a half. Been on LONG drives and no issues. Maybe the air is cooler here. ha ha.

Thank you for the post OP. My shield starting rattling about a week ago. Your trick with the vice grips was just what I needed. A few fender washers later, my shield is nice and quiet.