Anyone else have a A/T Mazda6S

CrazyXZac

:
2004 MAZDA 6s
hey wassup, just wanted to kno if there are anyone else in the same boat as me with a A/T 6s...

got a few questions on it (braindead

If you were going aut, why didnt you ait til next year when the 6 speed automatic is coming out?

Mikey444 said:
If you were going aut, why didnt you ait til next year when the 6 speed automatic is coming out?
Actually all 2005 models have a 6spd automatic on the V6, since Crazy just got his car, he wouldn't have had to wait at all as 2005s have been out for a few weeks now. But I think there are better deals on '04 models and Crazy wasn't aware of the issues with the ATX on '04 and'03 models.

i got a better deal with the 04 that's why, and my dad went out and got it...

i just knew about it coz' i had to go pick it up...

I recently got a mazda 6S ATX. I traded in my manual protege5 since i couldn't take the traffic here in NJ anymore and wanted something a little nicer :)

I also couldn't wait for the 05's since i got a killer deal on the car.

The only problems i have been having is that i feel the response from the engine could be quicker / smoother and the harshness of the tranny.

Congrats pope on the 6S...unfortunately the '03 and '04 ATX isn't the best. Initially there were quite a few problems such a shift lock, etc. You can find them by doing a search on the forums. You most likely got a late revision '04 since you just bought so most of those "bugs" were probably resolved by firmware updates inside the vehicle. however the underlying problem of the 4 speed ATX not being that great is still there. That is why they moved to a 6 speed ATX in '05 models...it's a much better and more responsive one.

All the ATX Mazda6s that I drove were '05 so I never got to personally experience the older tranny on '04 models.

I drove a 6s ATX for about a year. The Jatco transmission was removed from the mazda lineup due to a number of issues, including reliability, overheating, and poor performance. The 6spd tranmission addresses all of these issues, as well as giving better gas mileage then the 5spd MTX, and being notably faster in shifting and overall acceleration then the previous jatco based 5 spd.

You can get around the reliability and overheating issues on a jatco transmission by installing a transmission cooler, there is an excellent how-to article on 6tech on how to do this...total cost is around 50 dollars.
http://www.mazda6tech.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=40&Itemid=35

I won't delve into how heat effects a ATX transmission, you all can do that research yourself. The Jatco runs around 193-200F @ idle, and can get into the 220 range under extensive stop and go driving. With a 16,000 GVW cooler installed, the temp max's out at around 180F.

I also recommend doing a drain/refill at least every 10-20k miles, to help maintain the additive package in the transmission fluid. Here's a how-to on that.
http://www.mazda6tech.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=33&Itemid=35

The only way to work out the issues with shifting and performance, is with shift kits (valve body replacements). These usually cost around 300-500 USD, and require 4-5 hours of labor (another 400-500 USD).

Or just avoid all of the above and get a 6 spd 2005 ATX.

Last edited:
i'll def. take a read to it...

where would one purchase the tranny cooler? and i'll havta talk to the dealership on the install, coz' my dad is rather gay like that... (eek2)

I have noticed the slow, rough shifting on my ATX too.

So does all this mean those of us with the 5 speed jatco will probably be replacing our trannys during or soon after the warranty expires?

I'm also curious, can you just throw in the new 6-speed tranny into your engine once the 5-speed dies or are there complications with that?

Garfinkle,

Based on fluid temp estimates...without a cooler, somewhere around 50-75k miles, depending on type of driving.

You really want the fluid around 160-180F for 100k mile longevity...its at 193F @ idle without an additional cooler =/.

As mentioned above, with both the cooler and drain/refills, you can greatly extend the tranny's life.

It would be pretty expensive to swap the 6spd in...remember it needs a new TCM module, and new mounts to boot.

Crossbow, are there any issues with the MTX on the '04 models similar to this that we should be concerned about?

crossbow said:
I drove a 6s ATX for about a year. The Jatco transmission was removed from the mazda lineup due to a number of issues, including reliability, overheating, and poor performance. The 6spd tranmission addresses all of these issues, as well as giving better gas mileage then the 5spd MTX, and being notably faster in shifting and overall acceleration then the previous jatco based 5 spd.

You can get around the reliability and overheating issues on a jatco transmission by installing a transmission cooler, there is an excellent how-to article on 6tech on how to do this...total cost is around 50 dollars.
http://www.mazda6tech.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=40&Itemid=35

I won't delve into how heat effects a ATX transmission, you all can do that research yourself. The Jatco runs around 193-200F @ idle, and can get into the 220 range under extensive stop and go driving. With a 16,000 GVW cooler installed, the temp max's out at around 180F.

I also recommend doing a drain/refill at least every 10-20k miles, to help maintain the additive package in the transmission fluid. Here's a how-to on that.
http://www.mazda6tech.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=33&Itemid=35

The only way to work out the issues with shifting and performance, is with shift kits (valve body replacements). These usually cost around 300-500 USD, and require 4-5 hours of labor (another 400-500 USD).

Or just avoid all of the above and get a 6 spd 2005 ATX.

Everyone loves you in this forum, what would we do without you being here? You have a solution and or answer to every problem, question etc..

russr,

The primary issue with the MTX's is something called "clutch" shudder. Supposedly the clutch for the 6i/6s is stronger then the car really needs, which can cause it to shudder in certain situations. This can start occuring around 8-20k miles...and is rather random. Its occurs more often on cold days then not. I'm at 5k myself and haven't had it, though don't think I'd know what it was if it did happen, I'd probably just blame it on my own shifting incompetence.

The shudder usually goes away the second the clutch isn't cold...so if it does it, just take slightly longer to release it, and it'll go away really fast.

Only specific problem I know with the 6i MTX tranny...is it starts exploding when you attach it to a 280 bhp L3 engine :). (As per tripoint mazda in SCCA World Challenge).

Just like you since I'm a new stick shift driver, I would probably blame it on myself. It already shudders when I'm starting in first because I don't usually give it enough gas if I'm try to start fast, you know what i mean?

crossbow said:
russr,

The primary issue with the MTX's is something called "clutch" shudder. Supposedly the clutch for the 6i/6s is stronger then the car really needs, which can cause it to shudder in certain situations. This can start occuring around 8-20k miles...and is rather random. Its occurs more often on cold days then not. I'm at 5k myself and haven't had it, though don't think I'd know what it was if it did happen, I'd probably just blame it on my own shifting incompetence.

The shudder usually goes away the second the clutch isn't cold...so if it does it, just take slightly longer to release it, and it'll go away really fast.

Only specific problem I know with the 6i MTX tranny...is it starts exploding when you attach it to a 280 bhp L3 engine :). (As per tripoint mazda in SCCA World Challenge).

Just don't think about it. You always shift worse and start off worse when you think about it.

If I think about stalling, my % chance of doing so will expodentially increase.

Hey guys, I bought a 6s with an a/t. It is the most anyoing thing. Its always slamming gears on me. Its one of the most finniky trans I have ever had. My solution was an extened warrenty and a few neutral drops just before it runs out.

Zooming said:
Hey guys, I bought a 6s with an a/t. It is the most anyoing thing. Its always slamming gears on me. Its one of the most finniky trans I have ever had. My solution was an extened warrenty and a few neutral drops just before it runs out.
You might want to consider sending a private message to crossbow as I think they have updates for the system that will prevent that. What year is the vehicle and when was it built (check the door sticker).

Back