Anyone concerned about the upcoming recall on the 2018 CX5??

Status
Not open for further replies.
:
13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose
Just get Top Tier gasoline in 87 octane. Detergent problem solved.

I like living on the wild side..on the edge it you know what I mean. I use 89 top tier gas!!!

With regards to the thread title...no concern since we don't have CD models. Not sure I would want CD. I wonder if Orangevirus could turn that feature off.

:
2018 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring-Premium Pkg. Soul Red
Yes I'm concerned, includes the 2018-2019 models.
Do not like the possible stalling of my car on the freeway and having to take evasive measure to stay safe in that event.
Have had some software glitches in the past with warning lights coming on and front cam failure.

:
2017 CX5 AWD Touring
I cancelled my plan getting a 2018 Mazda CX-5 and got a Toyota Yaris iA only because I found Mazda suddenly added cylinder deactivation to its 2018 lineups. The history of CD has proven it's a bad idea for long-term reliability, and I usually keep my vehicle forever. And I no longer recommend CX-5 to friends and family because of this cylinder deactivation feature.

I got a 2017 even though 2018s were out because I saw the writing on the wall for the CD on 2018's. I knew back then that the CD was going to be problems and I was right. The tech was too new, overly complicated, and all for a 1/2 mpg gain? One can air up their tires and get better mpg gains.

Just like the CX5 diesel, Mazda dropped the ball on the CD. To make something so complicated and for such a tiny gain that most people would never notice, astounds me. Now the repairs on the CD will be costly and a PIA for owners who experience problems with it.

:
2018 CX5
Likely a good move. When we got our 2018 did not know that CD was new that year (found out after the purchase) but we do get 36 MPG on long trips to Myrtle Beach. I assume 36 is from the CD.

shadonoz

SkyActiv Member
Contributor
:
State of Jefferson
:
2017 CX-5 GT AWD+
Likely a good move. When we got our 2018 did not know that CD was new that year (found out after the purchase) but we do get 36 MPG on long trips to Myrtle Beach. I assume 36 is from the CD.

That IS impressive.

ColoradoDriver

Gen-1 Kodo Design
Contributor
:
Denver, CO
:
2014 CX-5 Touring

AWD or FWD?

:
2021 RDX A-Spec
I agree the CD appears to be a no-gain feature, but I think we*re all forgetting what makes Mazda so attractive to car enthusiasts: Their engineers have guts.

Hell, most of their fame comes from being the company that kept trying to make rotaries work. They*re simply executing the same philosophy with CD, diesel, and Skyactiv-X. They insist on trying to strive where others failed. When you*re a company that takes those kinds of risks, you consider it a success to bring novel tech to the market even when the results weren*t quite as expected. Anyone who questions Mazda*s risk-taking should look elsewhere, because there are plenty of safe brands out there who are more excited about sales than innovation.

shadonoz

SkyActiv Member
Contributor
:
State of Jefferson
:
2017 CX-5 GT AWD+
Back on topic....

The only one who should be concerned about this recall is Mazda itself.

Everyone else affected should just chill and wait for the recall. Only Mazda can deal with the situation, so don't worry about something you have no control over.

Just don't try any borderline safe passes that require full power.

Or [what I would do] hammer the crap out of the engine a time or two to make sure it won't go into limp mode.

Even without this problem, it behooves every driver to know what the capabilities of their vehicle are.

This story is far from over.

Guy,

Let's get back to the discussion about the recall.

We're all here to share information and experience about the car so let's get back to that and help each other navigate this recall.

:
CX5 GT
Now back on the topic,
noticed after the recall that the oil pressure is more dynamic and builds quicker during sudden acceleration surges than before.
So far happy with what was done with the pcm update.
Also when CD turns on and off there is higher pressure for a second than before.

:
2019 CX-5 GT 184 2.2 twin turbodiesel auto - Sonic Silver
I presume that prior to the PCM flash there was some phase that could cause it to drop like a stone? They must be able to control the pressure relief valve.

Antoine

Administrator
Clean up on aisle five!

Thread closed...Please keep threads on topic and avoid posting about politics here...I want to thank those of you who posted about getting back on topic, PLEASE CONTINUE TO REMIND YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS TO STAY ON TOPIC.

Status
Not open for further replies.