Anyone bought/used a Car Cover?

:
2019 CX5 Signature
Hi...was wondering if anyone has purchased a car cover for your CX-5? If so, please share your thoughts and comments. And yes, I tried searching first, but didn’t find anything. Thanks for any info...

I owned Covercraft brand custom fitted covers for my last several vehicles, My cars were garaged at night so the purpose was to protect them from the blazing California sun during the daytime when parked in my company parking lot, and at one particular location also from dust from a nearby large construction site.
Covercraft has a 4 year warranty. I had three covers fail at the seams after 2 years. The stitching simply rotted away. They replaced them promptly but only covered the warranty on them for the remaining 2 years. At which point they failed again and I had to buy a new one. I probably could have found a seamstress and had all the seams restiched as the fabric was still good. I suggested that they contact their fabric supplier and specify a better, more environmentally resistant thread even if it meant a slight increase in cost. They ignored me,
Check their website. They offer many styles depending upon what kind of protection that you are looking for.

Car covers are great -- for a clean car in garaged winter storage.

I've also used a car cover to protect against tree sap/leaves and bird droppings when I had to park in a driveway with a big tree nearby.

Otherwise, why would you want a car cover?

Ironically, a car cover can actually harm the paint you're trying to protect...

After driving, there is dust & dirt on your car. You'll drag that dust & dirt across the paint every time you cover and uncover it.

And the dust & dirt will embed into the car cover. The result is, your car cover gets dirty and acts like sandpaper.

Of course, modern cars have clear coat that protects the paint. And dirt embedded in the clear coat can be removed with a clay bar & spray.

Also, a car cover is like a red flag to thieves -- to steal the cover, or at least see what you're trying to protect. Some a$$hats will mess with your car because it's clearly important to you and they enjoy making people miserable.

Bottom Line: Most folks don't need a car cover. Just wash & wax your car regularly. Or for better longer-lasting protection, use a polymer sealant.

More info wax vs sealant: https://www.autogeek.net/qude101.html

Thanks for posting guys, I appreciate the thoughts. As far as why I want a cover...I live in Florida and the weather can be fairly crappy certain times of the year. The cover will only be used for those times. I am familiar with how to use them and that they *could* cause paint damage if used incorrectly. Unfortunately I only have a two car garage...so the new Mazda stays outside all the time. I was just hoping someone had had a great experience with a particular brand of cover for the CX-5s. If no other feedback is available...I’ll probably just stick with a Noah cover, even though I have no idea how well they will fit these vehicles.

I too had a two car garage in Orlando ,Mustang GT in Mazda CX5 out. I covered it with a Noah cover, ordered it with the shark fin antenna pocket fit our 2914 touring like a glove. I got the front and back clamps to keep it on during storms[a must] protected really well during hail storms.Only drawback it takes a long time to dry.The Weathershield is much lighter and dries almost instantly but offers no ding protection.

I too had a two car garage in Orlando ,Mustang GT in Mazda CX5 out. I covered it with a Noah cover, ordered it with the shark fin antenna pocket fit our 2914 touring like a glove. I got the front and back clamps to keep it on during storms[a must] protected really well during hail storms.Only drawback it takes a long time to dry.The Weathershield is much lighter and dries almost instantly but offers no ding protection.

Thank you for sharing your experience with the Noah cover.

I used a car cover for a while back in the late 80s after getting to Florida, and got tired of either having to take the cover off in the middle of a rainstorm, or after a rainstorm, and having to throw the wet and now heavy cover in the back for the drive home. Then you need to put the wet cover back on to get it to dry. Also, I’d be wary of using it in high winds. Aside from the chance of the cover starting to come off, the wind will make the fabric flap around, and I’m thinking thats not good for the paint.

I used a car cover for a while back in the late 80s after getting to Florida, and got tired of either having to take the cover off in the middle of a rainstorm, or after a rainstorm, and having to throw the wet and now heavy cover in the back for the drive home. Then you need to put the wet cover back on to get it to dry. Also, I’d be wary of using it in high winds. Aside from the chance of the cover starting to come off, the wind will make the fabric flap around, and I’m thinking thats not good for the paint.
What, it rains in Central Florida?!? LOL. Thanks for your post. Yeah, I wouldn’t use a cover for everyday rain...just thinking more about the possibility of our hailstorms and ‘canes.

Thanks for posting guys, I appreciate the thoughts. As far as why I want a cover...I live in Florida and the weather can be fairly crappy certain times of the year. The cover will only be used for those times. I am familiar with how to use them and that they *could* cause paint damage if used incorrectly. Unfortunately I only have a two car garage...so the new Mazda stays outside all the time. I was just hoping someone had had a great experience with a particular brand of cover for the CX-5s. If no other feedback is available...I’ll probably just stick with a Noah cover, even though I have no idea how well they will fit these vehicles.
I live in South Florida and cover my CX-5 during crappy weather too. I went to the Amazon page of the one I bought and like, but it said “No longer available.”

My wife has a 2010 MX5 Miata and Mazda makes an OEM cover for it. I cannot understand why Mazda does not make an OEM cover for the CX-5 :rolleyes:

Back