Anybody tow with a Mazda CX-5?

I'm back from 8,000mi. coast-to-coast trip, towing my 750lb. teardrop trailer with my CX-5 Touring (2.5l engine). Got an oil change before I left and the car performed flawlessly - absolutely no issues towing.

If you're interested, here's a photo album/slideshow - press the big Slideshow button/triangle on the right to begin, and after each Yellowstone video clip resume the music by clicking on the audio play button on the top right.

Nice pictures and loved the music while viewing them.

I'm back from 8,000mi. coast-to-coast trip, towing my 750lb. teardrop trailer with my CX-5 Touring (2.5l engine). Got an oil change before I left and the car performed flawlessly - absolutely no issues towing.

If you're interested, here's a photo album/slideshow - press the big Slideshow button/triangle on the right to begin, and after each Yellowstone video clip resume the music by clicking on the audio play button on the top right.

Beautiful work, may have a look at your plans. I'd need space for 2 adults and maybe 2 kids ...though they might get the tent 😉

What a great road trip!! Thanks!

I forwarded this one onto many.

No metal frame... just wood for structural integrity? You're a braver man than I. :) I definitely don't have that kind of confidence in the stuff I build.

What makes it work is the marine plywood: All hardwood, waterproof glue, and no voids. Very dimensionally stable and tough stuff. I wouldn't try this with any other type of plywood.

As requested, here are some pictures (one with it being towed behind my recently sold MX-5 Miata) before it was completely finished and the aluminum painted:

Teardrop_003.jpg

Miata_Teardrop_019s.jpg

No metal frame... just wood for structural integrity?

Wood can be amazingly strong and light when used properly. It does require more care for long term durability because it can become food for micro-organisms without proper coatings. It wasn't that long ago that wood was the material of choice for high performance airplanes due to it's strength/weight ratio.

Jon, kudos on a very cool home built trailer! I see you really know how to have a fun vacation without getting carried away with unnecessary complications..

Last edited:
Towing a teardrop trailer w CX-5 Touring (2.5l)

Thanks for a great post, JonW. What a wonderful trip!
I'm wondering if you can offer any more information about how your car performed while towing a teardrop trailer. I'm considering a similar cross-country trip this summer with a similar trailer, heading in the opposite direction (SoCal to the East Coast and back). I'm wondering how my 2016 CX-5 Touring (2.5l) will perform climbing mountains. Did you feel any engine strain at higher elevations? Did you use the manual shift mode in mountains? How did the CX-5 handle under different weather & road conditions while towing the trailer? My manual says total GCWR=5908 lbs. & curb wt. is 3433 lbs. So I'm figuring that 2475 lbs. to work with (passengers + load + trailer). Does that sound correct? Any other tips or cautions? Thanks!

Looks great, I'm looking forward to building one myself. I'll be following your build journal.

Back