Anybody installed the cross bars on their 2016 yet? Seems easy but

:
None
There isn't much room to get the bolt into the cross bar and into the rail - I'm worried about scratching the roof.
Should I just get an extension ? Any tips?

Cross Bars

There isn't much room to get the bolt into the cross bar and into the rail - I'm worried about scratching the roof.
Should I just get an extension ? Any tips?

I just did it today. Got a call that mine came in. I installed them this afternoon with just the allen key that is supplied with the 8 bolts. The allen key has a tapered end on the long side that allows you to angle the key to more easily turn the bolts. Once they are fairly tight you need to carefully use the short end and use 1/8 turns to tighten them up. Just be careful - I kept my finger between the allen key and the car top - no problems. You can also put a cloth or tape there if you are concerned. I think the crossbars look pretty good. I hope they do not add noise to highway driving.

If you buy em from your local yeah they will Ube you buy the car. They would probably charge after the fact. Either way I ordered them online for like 50 bucks cheaper. They didn't have them in stock at the dealer when I picked up my car or I would have bought them there and had them do it.

Picture
d388d8fcd6b208d15e485338a9520dfb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, I'm about to buy my 2016 cx5 and I'm debating whether to have them installs roof rails and/or cross bars. At $350 for installed roof rails and $125 for cross bars, its a bit pricier than some of the newer systems out there. I'm also seeing the whispbar and aero systems which seem to offer even lower drag but it may be negligible vs these OEM bars. The joy of installing these aftermarket systems is another consideration.

Has anyone out there added ski racks on their OEM crossbars or roof rails?

Or should I just go naked and buy a system that clamps onto the frame? The newer systems don't look too bad and it might be cheaper overall.

So I had the dealer fit cross bars (no roof rails) and whilst I don't have a photo, I'm worried they've been mounted too far forward (although I've been assured they're in the correct holes). The front one is smack in line with the centre of the sun roof. The back one is just back from the seam between front and back doors. Anyone else had sim experience?

So I had the dealer fit cross bars (no roof rails) and whilst I don't have a photo, I'm worried they've been mounted too far forward (although I've been assured they're in the correct holes). The front one is smack in line with the centre of the sun roof. The back one is just back from the seam between front and back doors. Anyone else had sim experience?

I think those are adjustable, you can move them anywhere you need them to be, actually when you don't use them, both are suppose to be pushed all the way to the rear so passengers don't hear the whistling sound, or better yet removed all together to reduce drag, I think the instructions are online if you Google the crossbar part numbers, sorry I don't have it on handright now.

I think those are adjustable, you can move them anywhere you need them to be along the rails, actually when you don't use them, both are suppose to be pushed all the way to the rear so passengers don't hear the whistling sound, or better yet removed all together to reduce drag, I think the instructions are online if you Google the crossbar part numbers, sorry I don't have it on hand right now. Maybe someone who has them can let you know, there is a locking mechanism that you have to release first so they can slide back and forth to anywhere you want them.

Last edited:
Thanks astriuminc
Mine are the fixed ones, no rails unfortunately. So options are to remove them altogether, leave them as they are, or relocate them to another hole, if another exists under the plastic strip. But they are the genuine Mazda part and I've read the installation instructions and it reads like they've done it right, but there are no decent pictures to confirm. The photos above (jgriffter and pholway), whilst on rails look like the positioning I would expect, another foot or so aft of where mine are.

Last edited:
Thanks astriuminc
Mine are the fixed ones, no rails unfortunately. So options are to remove them altogether, leave them as they are, or relocate them to another hole, if another exists under the plastic strip. But they are the genuine Mazda part and I've read the installation instructions and it reads like they've done it right, but there are no decent pictures to confirm. The photos above (jgriffter and pholway), whilst on rails look like the positioning I would expect, another foot or so aft of where mine are.

I posted the pictures of mine. I have the Signature and the rails were already installed. I just had to order the cross bars.

There was only one spot to install the cross bars (as pictured). I didn't notice whether they are adjustable in the roof rails - sliding fore or aft. I assumed they were fixed position.

I have not noticed any whistling with the cross bars even at highway speeds. The cross bars are aerodynamically shaped so perhaps that helps.

Oh wait, sorry I misread your post the first time, so you have no roof rails??

That explains it, so the cross bars are using the same mounting locations as the oem roof rails,

so the front cross bar is right over the sunroof?? That sucks, are there any interference issues when the moon roof opens or angled up ?

can you take some photos ?

If the cross bar over the moon roof really bothers you, maybe install new roof rails , that way the cross bars are then mounted to the rails instead and are aft and out of the way of the sun roof similar to other CX9 owners with the rails like this Snap102.jpg

I think the old CX9 had sliding crossbars, the manual said to slide them all the way back when not in use, those were whistling at highway speed and winds, New one is suppose to be quiet.

Last edited:
I just installed the cross bars on my 2016 CX9. The installation process was very straightforward but I was very cautious when tightening the bolts (to avoid any scratches). It took me about 25-30 minutes to install.

I just did mine last night. I followed the instructions including the part to use a u-joint socket + torque wrench. but even with the u-joint socket, I couldn't get a good bite on the torx bolt and I was afraid I'd strip the bolt. I ended up unbolting the roof rails, installing and torquing the cross bars, then reinstalling the rails. although with the tension from the crossbars, I'm afraid I might not have been able to properly reposition the rails.

can someone do me a favor please and take a close up picture of the where the rail meets the roof? is it totally flush or can you partially see under the rails like raised part where the bolts go?

This is what I meant when I said I might not have been able to position my rails correctly. As you guys can see from the images below, there's a slight gap between the rail and the car's roof. Can any one confirm for me if this is normal or not? Thanks

xEAnKGS.jpg

1ttPPc2.jpg

SlHy25r.jpg

Latest posts

Back