Anybody else had this happen?

:
2010 Mazda5 Touring
Apparently something was left on the cowl grill (a metal screw or small socket) and it fell down the gap on the passenger side. The noise is beyond annoying but I'm unable to locate or retrieve it. I've already tried removing part of the cowl to get underneath as well as removing the underside fender plastic where it meets the door, nothing... I don't go under the hood much (thanks Mazda) the last time being when I changed the springs and struts. One of the strut screws did break so I replaced it after getting the old one out. So its either that piece of screw or a socket that I'm hearing jumping around there. It almost sounds like it's coming from behind the glove box, but that little shelf under the cowl looks clear. I'm really not trying to take off the fender, but to get this thing out.... Any suggestions would be immensely appreciated. Thanks!

hibern8r

Do you have a magnetic retriever, telescoping type? Those little suckers are life savers! It may allow you to drag the offending part to an area you can reach

Yes and the last time I tried it was yesterday. I may have to spring for one of those telescopic camera jobs

I hate to say it, but I would take the fender off before spending that kind of money on the issue. It may be an annoyance, but its free. I dropped a little bitty 10mm open end wrench down behind the battery box while working on mine and it rattled and drove me nuts! Finally, at my wits end I drove down a local dirt road at a high rate of speed and the little sumbitch bounced free. It was a Harbor Frieght wrench anyway, i was overjoyed to be free of the damned thing...

The problem was officially fixed yesterday. No really! By accident while installing a new bulb on the left side, I noticed that the top of the strut was slightly askew in the mount. Upon investigation, I found that the nut on top, which looked snugged
Down, actually wasn't! And so the hole was actually elongated somewhat causing the strut to walk somewhat within the mount. When I removed it, I saw the scope of how bad it actually was...
Download-File
Download-File
The old piece failed after about month of installing the new springs. The rattling noise i had been hearing was actually a small part of the mount that had worn away. The mount appeared intact until I took it off and the center remained on top of the strut like a washer. Good news for you lowered folks out there. This can be done easily without having to remove the strut from the spindle. The new mount is Moog. They make their stuff so much more beefier. All quiet now...

Last edited:
Let me be the first to say, HOLY GUACAMOLE!! And you could drive it like that no less. Never let anyone tell you Mazdas aren't tough LOL Glad you got her figured out...

The problem was officially fixed yesterday. No really! By accident while installing a new bulb on the left side, I noticed that the top of the strut was slightly askew in the mount. Upon investigation, I found that the nut on top, which looked snugged
Down, actually wasn't!

I'm glad you figured it out! :)

I had the same situation one time in my prior car ('06 Matrix), the top strut nut got loose and I would hear a knocking noise when going over bumps or railroad tracks. The nut was a one time Nylock, and my local repair shop that rebuilt my left front suspension, after a collision with a curb, didn't install a new nut.

Last edited:
Back