Any Word on the 2020 CX-9 Changes?

...That said, she loves captains chairs but wanted more practicality of a bench. According to the salesmen, it is no longer possible in 2020 to get a GT with a bench as they are forced captains chairs...

As Ohmboy mentioned, if you need a bench, you should try really to get one. No kids for now but if/when they come along you might find the bench more handy to have a parent/adult sitting immediately next to the strapped in toddler if needed. If no kids planned, hey, adults can do captains chairs well. just my 2c

Well the wife decides she wanted the bucket over the bench to buying the car we went.
Got it for $43450 OTD in Michigan or 41900 before ttl and before the 1250 in rebates (took the $500 & 0% financing and they gave us $750 for having a 1991 Miata).
I hope we did OK. Another dealer offered 42800 OTD but that was blue and my understanding is the Metallic Grey is an upcharge.

Attachments

• 37ECAF62-1A9B-4B90-A1C7-78C6E69F432D.jpeg
    37ECAF62-1A9B-4B90-A1C7-78C6E69F432D.jpeg
    332 KB · Views: 149
We just purchased a 2020 GT Machine Gray last week with the bench but it was hard to find. Most of the GT stock in our area (Western NY - Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse) only came with Captain’s chairs.

Having lived with it for a week, I’m glad we got the bench. We were really looking for a CX-5 with more cargo space and that’s exactly what the CX-9 is. Occasional 3rd row use is a bonus.

We just purchased a 2020 GT Machine Gray last week with the bench but it was hard to find. Most of the GT stock in our area (Western NY - Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse) only came with Captain’s chairs.

Having lived with it for a week, I’m glad we got the bench. We were really looking for a CX-5 with more cargo space and that’s exactly what the CX-9 is. Occasional 3rd row use is a bonus.

Nice find and congrats on your new CX-9. That's the exact setup that I'm looking for too, GT with the bench and preferably MG. In my area, at the time I looked( about a month ago), there were no GT's available with the bench in my area. It really frustrates me... I've vented on my thoughts about why I believe the captain chairs are not very practical or logical in the CX-9's cramped cabin(I'm all for captain chairs in a cavernous minivan where all 3 rows are usable and comfortable.. but in the CX-9, it's practically a 2 row SUV with an emergency use/temporary use 3rd row, just my preference and opinion....). Not that I'll be getting the CX-9 any time too soon, but when I get closer I'll be calling all the dealers to voice my preference and to see if they can order some GT's with the bench.

In my area, at the time I looked( about a month ago), there were no GT's available with the bench in my area. It really frustrates me...

I talked directly to 5 different dealers with the specs I was looking for and in every case there were able to find one, it just wasn’t on their lot. Dealers swap stock all the time in order to help customers.

I talked directly to 5 different dealers with the specs I was looking for and in every case there were able to find one, it just wasn’t on their lot. Dealers swap stock all the time in order to help customers.

Yeah I know, but all the dealer swaps would've been rather far, I prefer a fresh one. How many salesman I know who smoke and were told not to smoke inside, yet roll down the window while doing so, how many salesman I've known to eat in cars while driving to deliver a long distance dealer swap, all of it to be denied later when pointed out(especially the faint smoke smell)... sure your car will see some use when you own it, but I prefer either a local swap(I've bought local swaps before, ironically I talked to the dealership that had the model I wanted but they were asking for too much, dealer down the street said they'd do better but had to swap it, hah.. ended up with the original car I looked at), or fresh off the truck when possible. For those trying to pick, no I'm not saying I'll outright deny a 300+ mile dealer swap done by a salesman, I just prefer not to and I can wait anyways, everyone has a different situation(if you need a car now, sure I understand, I'd probably consider it too).

By talking to General Managers I create some awareness that there is indeed an interest in GT's with benches, most seem to assume otherwise until consumers start requesting them... then when the General Manager puts in orders for vehicles he/she will consider requesting for more bench equipped GT's in the future.

Last edited:
Since it's been mentioned the bench for kids, if anyone was hoping for centre of bench position for car seat, don't bank on it. Not a deep seat and rock hard, I found it not possible to secure my seats in middle (a Graco and a Clek). I was disappointed, as centre is the safest spot. So, with one kid, captains chairs would have been ok as car seat on one side and wife on the other is how we roll now anyway.

If someone, for whatever reason, needs car seat in middle (say you want 3 car seats across), IMO visit Kia.

Since it's been mentioned the bench for kids, if anyone was hoping for centre of bench position for car seat, don't bank on it. Not a deep seat and rock hard, I found it not possible to secure my seats in middle (a Graco and a Clek). I was disappointed, as centre is the safest spot. So, with one kid, captains chairs would have been ok as car seat on one side and wife on the other is how we roll now anyway.

If someone, for whatever reason, needs car seat in middle (say you want 3 car seats across), IMO visit Kia.

A bit misleading as the manual and the 2nd row seat show that you can install a car seat in the middle position if you wanted to. It seems that the limitation is the car seat itself. I personally don't have my child's car seat installed in the middle because I sometimes need extra cargo space, and with the car seat installed behind the passenger seat, I can still fold down the 60 split of the bench (as opposed to only being able to fold down the 40 split with the car seat installed in the other 2 positions on the bench).

IMG_20200818_134850.jpg

You can also install a car seat in one of the 3rd row seats as well.

A bit misleading as the manual and the 2nd row seat show that you can install a car seat in the middle position if you wanted to. It seems that the limitation is the car seat itself. I personally don't have my child's car seat installed in the middle because I sometimes need extra cargo space, and with the car seat installed behind the passenger seat, I can still fold down the 60 split of the bench (as opposed to only being able to fold down the 40 split with the car seat installed in the other 2 positions on the bench).

View attachment 226497

You can also install a car seat in one of the 3rd row seats as well.

Oh, it's definitely not impossible. And very much allowed in terms of regulations, latches, etc.

But also, as with any seat-carseat combo, would depend on someone's tolerances for movement in a carseat.

Mine are def bigger carseats, esp the Clek. Beast of a seat. But, given it went in no issues in my CRV, I was surprised at the difficulty the CX9 presented. And for me, too much wiggle. I am admittedly a bit OCD about things.

Back