Any ideas on engine rattle / ticking noise?

Yeah so the oil was low and I added a quart now it's quieter but the noise is still there. Time for an oil change and try some 0w30/0w40? I don't know what kind of oil is in there.

wow.
How long has it been starved for oil? And how much (1 qt=25% low for us, 2 qts=50% low :p )?

When you were driving it like you should - slinging it around corners you were starving it of oil. I suspect you are on the path to engine failure at this point (because adding oil made it a bit quieter -but the sound remains).
sorry.

OK I'm a little slow in replying, but the oil wasn't that low. Maybe a tad below the full mark. Besides, the noise was back shortly. I'm already pretty sure it's bearing-related and I'm just looking for the right time to pull the pan.

I'm pretty sure I have the same noise, but it's from
The intake manifold I believe. It doesn't seem
To be spark plugs(they're still good), it isn't pinging or misfiring. No CEL.

I know many people have had issues with VICS and VTCS. I want to remove the VICS and VTCS system and replace it with a 626 manifold to see
If that makes the noise disappear. Had anyone else solved
This noise by doing
So?
I hear the ticking at idle in gear(not neutral), and I slightly hear it as RPM's increase, but seems
To go away after 3rd gear. I know the butterfly valves close at
Low RPM.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Old Thread Alert

Hey guys just thought I'd add an update here since this is one of the top Google results for "Protege5 rattle". My car's condition deteriorated last year to the point that it misfired constantly even after cleaning EGR, changing plugs, coils, wire, compression check, the works. Months after the misfiring started the CEL never went away for misfire so I didn't drive the car often and then one day the MAF code came up. So I swapped the MAF with the cheapest one I could find on Amazon ($68?). Misfire is gone, CEL gone, and guess what, the 3000+ RPM no-load rattle is also gone. I suppose the MAF was slightly off (dirty?) that it was probably leaning out and/or timing the ignition wrong at high revs with no- to light-load causing some slight detonation. I'm not imagining this, the sound is definitely gone as I have put up with it for over 5 years and know exactly how to cause it.

I like my car again! Daily driving a V8 was killing me on gas.

Back