Another Modern Performance Experience/Review

BlkZoomZoom

750whp quest has begun...
Contributor
:
Hemi Ram, 71 Plymth Scamp, 71 Plymth Duster 340, 69 Dart 340/4sp
Jeph said:
I bet he'll respond "I didn't actually install your MPI, one of my techs did, so its not my fault"

10:1 says at least one MAM groupie will throw in any dig he can.

Damn... Either I am good, or you guys are really friggin predictable.

Bigg Tim

No more MP3
:
MazdaSpeed 6
Sure it works, and it works well. I have ONLY ran my car controlling the stock injectors via the MAF or the O2. I have tuned cars that ran well like this also.

BBSF2

16 PSI SLEEPER
Contributor
:
2002 protege es turbo
Protege_Speed said:
Did Buddy tune it on a dyno or just street driving? I should of had him tune my NA MPI. I too get the shock when I touch the frame and now there's a problem with my charging system. Not sure if all that is related though. I am going turbo real soon and I am going to see if I can have Buddy tune it and maybe ask Nick if he can install the turbo module as well.

he street tunes it, but his street tune is very close to what a dyno tune would produce.
craig

Mazdarulez

Will work 4 Ninja powers
:
Mazdaspeed Protege
Bigg Tim said:
That sucks you weren't happy, but O2 tuning is very easy to do and he probably just wanted to be safe and not go above 10psi, I don't know. Yes, Dana's way works, but you are not utilizing the stock injectors to there fullest. With the O2 tuning, you don't need an O2 clamp, you are controlling it. I ran mine like this for some time and made the same power as controlling the MAF. The fact is the all the way's work, it's just about user prefference.

I tried it with a 3bar MAP and it didn't have fine enough resolution for me. I actually like the MAF control better because it gave better fine resolution. Perhaps a 2bar would have worked well, I may try it someday. Oh, O2 tuning uses negative numbers, so if you had those and he was like WTF, that's why.

Hey Tim, I am sure if you or anyone on this forum spends $800 you would expect to see GAINS. Not cel or crapy tune... But dude all I want to do is write my review and what happened to me so I can save another forum member from loosing money. I thought we are on here to help each other out with problems and not rip each other off.

Metal MP5

AWD baby
:
07 Speed6, 95 Talon TSi AWD, 86 RX7
well one exemple of it being iffy is at idle, my car will run at ~ 15.2 to 15.8 AFR no matter what i set the analog number to. it's like if the stock ECU keeps adjusting the stock injectors to get the AFR ratio it wants no matter what the mpi is set to ... i can drown the thing with the extra injectors though if i want. but anyway, things like that make me feel like i'm not in control at all.

but it still works well for me so i'm still happy

smo0f said:
i coulda sworn the main reason why there were so many issues with the MPI were because you cannot control the stock injectors (if you can it's still iffy). Correct me if i'm wrong please. I'm trying to get an edujamacation on this

Bigg Tim

No more MP3
:
MazdaSpeed 6
Metal MP5 said:
well one exemple of it being iffy is at idle, my car will run at ~ 15.2 to 15.8 AFR no matter what i set the analog number to. it's like if the stock ECU keeps adjusting the stock injectors to get the AFR ratio it wants no matter what the mpi is set to ... i can drown the thing with the extra injectors though if i want. but anyway, things like that make me feel like i'm not in control at all.

but it still works well for me so i'm still happy

The MPI is not there to control anything in closed loop. Your analog out at idle should be at 2-2.08v. If it's there, then the stock ECU is doing what it is supposed to do. If it's off, then youwould have a CEL for being too lean. The stock injector control is only ment to be done in open loop, like when the switch is on. You cannot control the the fuel in closed loop because the ECU will want to pull all of it out to get to the 14.7 range. Mine fluctuates between 14.5 to 15.1 and that's what the stock ECU is doing all by itself and it's happy with that. Running 15 at idle doesn't matter, there's no load on it so the ECU is cool with that. You shoudl even be fluctuating on the highway just cruising also. Anytime you are not in boost, it should fluctuate.....that's normal.

:
370z (Totalled)
yeah i fluctuate when i'm not boosting, at idle between 14.5 to 15.5, and when i'm cruising the range is higher. when i boost, it holds steady at whatever number it is, right now untuned it holds steady at 10.0 (although it is probably lower than that), and sometimes i've seen it hold steady at 10.2.

Mazdarulez said:
My Modern Performance Inc experience.

I go WTF...Life Is A b**** And I Just Got Fucked Again. So I baby it all the way home cause I know Nick is not at his shop and even if he comes back he is going to say its the cars fault not his,

I just love the way things work on this forum. How can you even make a post like this? This is so far from what happend that it is not even funny anymore. This forum needs to do a much better job of taking care of BS like this.

Mazdarulez said:
spends $800 you would expect to see GAINS. .

$345.00 for twin extra injectors
$88.00 to weld/install the extra injectors.
$50.00 to smoke test, check and replace plugs with new Denso plugs.
$325.00 to install and tune MPI.

Did you throw out the extra injectors?
Did you throw out the plugs?
You drop the car off telling me you are running 8psi. Your car had full fuel cut/shut down at 9psi when it came in. I see 12 psi and you cannot reduce the boost with your set up. The wastegate needed to be removed and made to be adjustable. I told you like I tell everyone that I will not tune a stock engine that high in boost. If you did have a pin in the PCM wire then yes that would be a problem. We do not install pin in the harness. I show up at 8:30am and see your car park out front. You are now where to be found. You show about 10:00am, you and your group had gone to get something to eat. We talk about the car and you ask question, I do not try to rush you away and give you as much time as you need. Now I am already starting over 2 hours late. The shop hours are 8:30am to 1:00pm and the weekend. Right off the bat you have big time fuel cut and shut down at 8 psi. I tune that out but now I see 12 psi. I try to tune the car by keep lifting the throttle at 10psi. I do feel a cut out but not sure what it is at the time. I ask you if you can leave it for the weekend and you tell me no. OK then you can come pick it up. You make me wait over an 1 1/2 hours to pick it up. Then when you show up you tell me that you are going to leave it anyway. While I waited for you I checked you plugs and for leaks. Your plugs gapped at .045 and were one heat ranger cold then they should have been. I order the right plugs on monday and wait until 3.30pm for them to get it. I put them in and try to tune the car but I am still getting a mis at higher boost every now and then. You do not want me to remove the wasegate to fix it and lower the boost. So you tell me that you will come and get it by 5.00pm. You show up a around 6:30pm. No problem I got all of the paper work done while I was waiting for you any. I would be ready to leave right after you came and got your car. We talk about your car for about 30 minutes you ask questions. I did not rush you out the door. You drive your car out of my lot and leave. I close down the shop and leave. On my way out I see you and your group were out front taking a smoke break. We both wave good bye and I drive home.

I come in the next day and find a voice mail from you. I call back right away and leave you a voice mail. You never call me back or e-mail me. Then I find this thread. This forum rocks, people on it are just such great guys.

apocman

Lowes special
:
2003 MazdaSpeed Protege
MPI GROUPIE FOREVER!!!!!! NICK IS THE ******* s*** AND IS THE BEST PERIOD!!!!

BTW; HAVE YOU FINISHED SHIPPING ALL YOUR ORDERS? ;)

nnn

Mental Addiction said:
I can go back and see you doing the same thing. MPI groupie.

Titanium-99

Home Sweet Home!
:
2007 Diamond Graphite Infiniti G35 Coupe
** thread Jacking**

Holy s*** look who is posting again! what the Hell happend to you Gaypocman I havent talked to you or even heard from you in damn near 2-3 months.

apocman

Lowes special
:
2003 MazdaSpeed Protege
I have been working contract and been staying busy since the layoff... I'll give you a call later.

Titanium-99 said:
** thread Jacking**

Holy s*** look who is posting again! what the Hell happend to you Gaypocman I havent talked to you or even heard from you in damn near 2-3 months.