Another happy fill up

(omg) damn to a full tank? thats like umm 17mpg? might wanna do a full tune up, I dont think the auto would effect it that much, would it?

yes, it is auto... but damn... 400+ miles to the tank? lol, i could only wish. I just hit 60K miles, so i think i need a huge tune-up...

(omg) damn to a full tank? thats like umm 17mpg? might wanna do a full tune up, I dont think the auto would effect it that much, would it?

I question you're math, but 260/tank is not that bad....Unless it is 100% highway under the speed limit...Then you have reason to worry.

i do not see how you can only get 260 per tank i am at 258 now and still above half tank. i think something is wrong. and my speed is dead on to my gps.

I'm at 170miles and on the halfway mark. See how we do for the other half

Remember, this is the first tank with the OBX header and Injen intake. So, ECU was resetting

And, it's 100% city stop and go

People here and elsewhere have been citing very high tire pressures to reduce rolling resistance. Many have noted that once a high enough pressure has been reached there is no further measurable decrease in rolling resistance. That probably reflects (at least) two different effects:

1. No matter how stiff the tire is as a "balloon" the deformation of the rubber also contributes to rolling resistance. That is, a tire filled with solid concrete (not recommended!) would have no measurable change in the shape of the interior of the tire as it rolled, but there would still be rolling resistance from the rubber on the outside. In part tires can be thought of as a large rubber band (the tread) continuously cycling through a sort of wringer, where the pressure on both sides of that band in the squeeze part of the wringer (where the tire meets the road) is 35psi (or so).

2. Cars mostly roll on asphalt surfaces, and asphalt deforms (slightly) under the weight of the car. The lowest rolling resistance commonly encountered is for train wheels rolling on rails. Put train wheels on your car though, and the rolling resistance would be much higher because they would bend the street.

Anyway, there are some interesting numbers around for inflation ranges for bicycle tires, for instance, here:

http://www.discoveryride.com/human/rolling.html

I have yet to find anything nearly that complete for car tires.

size of tire may make a difference too. If you're rolling on 190's, you'll probably get better mileage than me, rolling on 215/40/17's.

Last edited:
Best Fillup Yet!!!

Miles: 444.8
Gallons: 12.629
$/Gal: 3.959
Cost: 50.00 (no top off, bout the 10th time in my life it's stopped on an even number)
MPG: 35.22!!!!! Hypermiling is FUN!!!
Cost per Mile: .11/mile

This does include about 80% highway including a couple BAD days of HEAVY traffic. I am loving my Protege5 the more and more i drive her :)

Oh and we went on a trip for the first time in the CX-9 and it's not all bad news there mileage wise. Car had 317 miles on it when we left so barely legal lol

Our first fillup she got about 425 miles on 17.5 gallons a solid 24MPG :) not bad for the big lug and a 3.7L Duratec V6

I ran into a a blurb in the paper about the thermal expansion of gasoline. Bottom line, the "gallon" is defined at 60 degrees F, and gasoline has a pretty large thermal expansion coefficient (for a liquid). Add it all up, and it comes to a lot of money spent on "inflated" fuel:

http://www.consumerwatchdog.org/resources/DPReportHotFuelUSAJune07.pdf

Here in LA about the only time it is as cool as 60 degrees is at night, most of the year it is hotter than that, at times, much hotter. This suggests that the best time to fill the car is around dawn, before the gas has had a chance to heat up. It isn't so much that the big tank in the ground gets hot, that is buried pretty deep and probably does not warm up significantly. Rather, the asphalt and top foot or so of dirt, which sit in the direct sun and heat up, in turn heat the gas moving from the tank to the pump. Possibly the pump itself, which may also be in the sun, heats the gas.

There are devices that can go on the pump to compensate for this effect. However, amazingly enough, they are only in common use at gas stations in cold climates. Everywhere else, it is "too expensive" for the gas stations. In other words, the gas station owners don't want to sell too much gas to us as a "gallon", but are perfectly happy to sell us less than a "gallon" when the temperature expansion works in their favor. Big surprise.

Admittedly this is probably only tens of dollars a year for the average driver. Still, I'd rather they be in my pocket than in big oil's. I'm going to make a point of filling up on the way to work, rather than on the way home.

first +$50 fill up. :'(

$52 for gas
340 Miles
12.56 gallons
about 27 MPG

not bad considering its 90% city miles

damn these gas prices.... its $4.92 a gallon here. And diesel is $5.09, my poor F350 wont be driven much anymore :( it cost almost $160 to fill the beast up! how is diesel (the least refined fuel) $5.09????

My mpg has been all over the place the last 4 tanks. I got 25, 27, then 22 (wtf) with mostly city driving. This last tank was mostly highway, and she got 30. Crazy.

Yet again :)

Mileage: 455.8
Fuel: 12.887
MPG: 35.37 MPG :)
Cost: 51.53
Cost Per Mile: .11

Unfortunately: 3.99 a gallon :(

Still Loving my Hypermiling

damn these gas prices.... its $4.92 a gallon here. And diesel is $5.09, my poor F350 wont be driven much anymore :( it cost almost $160 to fill the beast up! how is diesel (the least refined fuel) $5.09????

Diesel is also the most used fuel nationwide. Diesel is used a hell of a lot more then reg unleaded. The last time I filled up my truck it cost me 135 bucks to fill it up and that was awhile back ago on both tanks. I simply can't afrod to see what it would cost to fill it up now. I would hate to see how much it would cost to fill it up now.

Rarely do you use more than 13 gallons, and 260 on a tank using about 12-13 gallons is very poor thats 20-22mpg i have never seen mine less than 28mpg combined

Back