Another bad camera rant thread

:
Phoenix
:
2021 signature
Let's see your pictures. Yes, a pic of the monitor will not truly represent the view, but it's a start. People have stated that changing the contrast/brightness helps, meh. They also said it's a cost thing. Really? Here's my $30 amazon cam hooked up to my Sony head in my Mazda. I'd love to see your CX-5 factory camera pics and pics of your own install.

IMG_20201029_115127.jpg
IMG_20201029_115049.jpg
IMG_20201029_114834.jpg
IMG_20201029_093646.jpg

Last edited:
2018 CX-9 Signature (before the 360 cam was available). It's not a CX-5 but I'm pretty sure the image quality would be the same. My cellphone's camera sucks (no OIS), but what I see in the pics is pretty much what I see in person.

IMG_20201105_142013.jpg

IMG_20201105_142126.jpg

IMG_20201105_142212.jpg

Am I a little annoyed that they didn't use a better camera on the top trim of their flagship SUV? Sure am. Would it have made any real difference if I had a better camera? Nope. IMO having adaptive trajectory lines is more of a worthwhile improvement.

Image quality definitely looks better with your setup.

Fixed for '21. The backup camera sucks, I agree, and the lack of guidelines is annoying, but it does do the job. Not a major deal for me.

I find the touchscreen lockout for AA/Carplay far more annoying.

I just spent a week in a cabin just outside Zion NP and I had to back down a 60-70 foot curved gravel driveway once or twice a day. My '19 GT-R's camera has no trajectory lines and I had absolutely no problem navigating the driveway from the very first time. I don't understand what info the trajectory lines will give you that the standard lines with a little motion won't. I never even looked over my shoulder more than once. The camera shows plenty of detail to keep from hitting something or from diving into a hole. How much info/detail does one need for the camera's designated purpose?

Color me confused with all the complaints on the backup camera.

Does the wiring in the rear allow for swapping an aftermarket camera?

If asking for the trajectory camera you need additional wiring and its a different camera as well. For just a camera its doable but have to find the same size/fit one and its not really worth it.

If asking for the trajectory camera you need additional wiring and its a different camera as well. For just a camera its doable but have to find the same size/fit one and its not really worth it.

Why would you need a different camera? I would think the rear camera in the Signature is the same in all other models. We get trajectory lines when in 360 mode, but not when in normal mode. It does seem odd that the technology is there, but not available in normal mode.

Why would you need a different camera? I would think the rear camera in the Signature is the same in all other models. We get trajectory lines when in 360 mode, but not when in normal mode. It does seem odd that the technology is there, but not available in normal mode.

because its terrible at night, low resolution, glare is terrible as well.
the oem camera before 2021 is the worst excuse for a camera.
Its like a video game from the 2005.

So does everyone's pre-2021 cameras look exactly like mine? Is that why nobody else is posting pics?

because its terrible at night, low resolution, glare is terrible as well.
the oem camera before 2021 is the worst excuse for a camera.
Its like a video game from the 2005.

Odd, ours works fine for what we need. The only time I have issues with it is when it gets wet. No different than any other Rear camera I've had.

So does everyone's pre-2021 cameras look exactly like mine? Is that why nobody else is posting pics?

Yep. Looks just like that. I think my '16.5 touring reverse camera looks better than my '19. However, I've not once ever wished for a better camera / display whilst backing. It shows me what's going on behind (all around for the '19) my car. Always works. Never had any issues. I'm not trying to watch 4k HD movies on the thing, just reliably better see around the car than my eyes allow sitting in the seat. It does that. I don't care about trajectory lines that move and bend with steering inputs.

The Sony pics make it look like the camera has a different focal length than the OEM, which looks more 'wide angle' and more curvature in the background.
Maybe the size of the touchscreen is different, too.

The camera shows plenty of detail to keep from hitting something or from diving into a hole. How much info/detail does one need for the camera's designated purpose?
Color me confused with all the complaints on the backup camera.

Totally agree. Even in the dark and the rain I can count on one hand in 5 years the number of times I was inconvenienced because of the camera.

These are my night pics of my rear view camera. The first one is backing up in the dark. The second one is backing up in a lit parking lot.

Back1.JPG
Back2.JPG

Totally agree. Even in the dark and the rain I can count on one hand in 5 years the number of times I was inconvenienced because of the camera.
I'm not expecting go-pro, but c'mon, how does my $30 amazon cam blow this away? If they're going to put one on then why say "hey, they can see the garbage dumpster, that's all they need". Even my $23,000 company van puts the Mazda to shame. This is a very very dimly lit dark parking lot
PXL_20201110_035106616.jpg

Last edited:
For 2021 its finally changed to something better :) so there is hope for the future. It is what it is.

Back