Annoyed - Dealership Service!

:
2021 Acura RDX
Hey guys,

If anyone on here uses the Mazda dealership for service(s), do you ever have a problem with them topping off your fluids? I just noticed on my 19' GTR that my coolant level in the overflow tank is super low (almost dry) and the engine is stone cold-cold. I checked the radiator and level looks ok, but it irks me that I have to return to Mazda to have them top off my coolant tank, when it should have been done at my oil change the other day. I know, I should do my own oil changes and check my fluids (which I do), but I don't have any Mazda coolant. I hate to have to buy it to just top it off, so I am going to go back on Monday.

Anyway, I digress, but I am still wondering how I've lost so much coolant? I swear my tank was full several months ago. Should I have them do a compression test?

Any thoughts?

Thanks all!

P.s. How full is your overflow tank currently?

You shouldn't be losing coolant. Having said that, my last 4 VWs have all lost some coolant in winter, so I had a jug of OEM coolant to top off. Never any coolant on the ground or visible on the engine. VWs have issues with leaking water pumps and thermostat housings, so maybe your Mazda has a similar issue? If you're gonna get a jug, stick with OEM, it's safest.

So, I checked my coolant level (engine is completely cool). The level is just below the "L" line on the overflow tank. Is this where it should be? Or, should I top it off to the full mark?

I found this video for reference, and she states that when cold the coolant level should be at the L line when cold. Any advice? I just hate to look like a complete moron at the dealership this week.

Thanks much!

get some Mazda oem coolant and fill somewhere in the medium between L and F... more to the F but below it.
Then you should be good for this year. Most CX5 come with low level from the factory. No biggie.

The level is just below the "L" line on the overflow tank. Is this where it should be? Or, should I top it off to the full mark?

My personal experience with my 16.5 touring is that is the spot that mine likes ... Just below the L line. It never goes below that but if I add coolant, it always finds it's way back to that level. Go figure.

That’s really weird. I never noticed any coolant loss on my 17’ GT before I traded it in. I already spoke to the service manager, and they’re going to top it off for me on Monday.

my main concern, however, is where did it all go? It was close to the full line a few months ago. I don’t have any coolant on the garage floor, and I don’t see any on the engine. Weird!

evaporates. the expansion reservoir is open system, there is an open pipe going out of it.

Hey guys,

If anyone on here uses the Mazda dealership for service(s), do you ever have a problem with them topping off your fluids? I just noticed on my 19' GTR that my coolant level in the overflow tank is super low (almost dry) and the engine is stone cold-cold. I checked the radiator and level looks ok, but it irks me that I have to return to Mazda to have them top off my coolant tank, when it should have been done at my oil change the other day. I know, I should do my own oil changes and check my fluids (which I do), but I don't have any Mazda coolant. I hate to have to buy it to just top it off, so I am going to go back on Monday.

Anyway, I digress, but I am still wondering how I've lost so much coolant? I swear my tank was full several months ago. Should I have them do a compression test?

Any thoughts?

Thanks all!

P.s. How full is your overflow tank currently?
What will you do once the warranty is done?

I would suggest getting a bottle of Mazda coolant for future use.

DO NOT use anything other than Mazda coolant FL22. Other coolant's chemistry will not play nice with the existing FL22 in the system.

Did the dealership say that they were going to check and top off all of your fluids along with your oil change? If not, why would you expect them to do so?

What will you do once the warranty is done?

I would suggest getting a bottle of Mazda coolant for future use.

DO NOT use anything other than Mazda coolant FL22. Other coolant's chemistry will not play nice with the existing FL22 in the system.

Did the dealership say that they were going to check and top off all of your fluids along with your oil change? If not, why would you expect them to do so?
Because the coupon I used said it includes checking and topping off all fluids!

Because the coupon I used said it includes checking and topping off all fluids!

Well then, there you go. They should have checked and you have every right to complain. I'd start with the service manager.

The dealer will just dump in water when they should add coolant. That should be part of ANY under hood service is to check fluids. Ed

Not sure, but would something like this work just as good as OEM Mazda coolant if I were to save the gas and just bug a gallon of the coolant?

Don’t use an engine coolant which doesn’t say “FL22” on it. This Peak Asian Green 50/50 Coolant is not FL22 compatible and don’t use it.

I’d just pay several dollars more getting Mazda OEM FL22 coolant to avoid any potential problems.

efcd11898640bceeadc7495d55dc1441.jpg

You shouldn't be losing coolant. Having said that, my last 4 VWs have all lost some coolant in winter, so I had a jug of OEM coolant to top off. Never any coolant on the ground or visible on the engine. VWs have issues with leaking water pumps and thermostat housings, so maybe your Mazda has a similar issue? If you're gonna get a jug, stick with OEM, it's safest.
Agreed. Just use OEM FL22 coolant to top off.

Yes the water pump on my previous 2001.5 VW Passat 2.8L V6 leaked at 55K miles and required replacement.

The dealer will just dump in water when they should add coolant. That should be part of ANY under hood service is to check fluids. Ed
Very likely. I usually watch the service advisor topping off the coolant with Mazda OEM FL22 coolant even above the “F” line as my coolant also keep dropping gradually to the “L” line within a year.

I’m going to get a gallon of Mazda FL22 coolant as I need it to top off from time to time.

There’s a TSB about leaky water pump.

I've had major issues with my local dealership.

From poor service, to being lied to about service being performed (when it wasn't), and I've also had issues where they provided the post-service checklist showing fictitious air pressure values that don't correspond with the actual pressure in the tires.

Case in point on the last item - during my last service, they indicated that the car was at the pressure the tires were supposed to be. JUST the next day, I got a tire pressure warning message, and *all 4* tires were down about 5-8 PSI bellow the recommended amount, however 1 tire was even lower in pressure.

No way that can occur overnight on ALL 4 tires. The car literallyt went from the shop TO My garage (which is locked and private) to me having the error the next morning.

My advice is to double check everything before you leave their lot.

(before anyone criticizes me, yes.. i realize I should be checking my own tire pressure - and i've put it into my phone to remind me to do it weekly now.)

I was really surprised at how basic and limited my Mazda dealership is. The Subie dealership that I have gone to for the last 20 years is beautiful. They have a free food bar with cereals, chips, and donuts. Drinks, coffee and tea and a fridge filled with free water. They have a HUGE TV and really nice leather seats to hang out in. When I walked into the Mazda dealership I looked around and kind of laughed to myself. I know Mazda plans on going upscale with its cars, they are going to need to upgrade their dealerships, people who buy upscale cars want upscale dealerships.

Last edited:
I was really surprised at how basic and limited my Mazda dealership is. The Subie dealership that I have gone to for the last 20 years is beautiful. They have a free food bar with cereals, chips, and donuts. Drinks, coffee and tea and a fridge filled with free water. They have a HUGE TV and really nice leather seats to hang out in. When I walked into the Mazda dealership I looked around and kind of laughed to myself. I know Mazda plans on going upscale with its cars, they are going to need to upgrade their dealerships, people who buy upscale cars want upscale dealerships.

Announced in 2017.

100th updated dealership opened in 2019.

Progress is a little slow, but it is getting done.

I have only ever been to three Mazda dealerships between Alberta and Manitoba, but all three were on par with the Lexus dealership I went to (one time in 2016 for a recall).

Here's a quote from the second article:

Mazda is on track to reach 300 refreshed dealerships by 2021, at which point 85 percent of all sales and service will pass through the new dealerships. Mazda remains committed to working with dealer partners as together they strive to elevate the brand and grow business in the U.S. market.

Now, to get back on topic, regardless of the investments these dealerships make to their facilities, they need to make the same investments in personnel development and training. Service techs from all brands can make mistakes, but something as simple as a fluid top up (or tire PSI adjustment before delivery) should not be missed. Small improvements like those contribute to a better overall experience.

Back