AN7's Mazda2 1.5 Turbo - Build Log -

Incoming V2.

Today I just got on my hands the new custom 3rd gear, Straight cut.

20150202_201719.jpg

20150202_201753.jpg

After some time I finally got on the dyno.
The results impressed me to be honest.

On wastegate pressure 0.75bar I got 215whp (242hp + 29kgm of torque on flywheel) and with 1.35bar I got 258whp(283hp on flywheel) with 34kgm of torque

Here is the dyno plot at 1.35 bar.(I am requesting this pressure after 4800 until the redline to avoid torque on low rpms)
attachment.php

Attachments

• received_1226859934006208.jpeg
    received_1226859934006208.jpeg
    60.8 KB · Views: 1,184
Wow. That's a lot more power than I expected. Awesome!

I haven't read your whole thread...is this a stock bottom-end?

Mike

Finally I got me exhaust upgraded.
The setup that I had from the beginning of the turbo project was 2.5" downpipe until under the front seats and the rest was my ehxaust that I had from the N/A setup which was 1.97". The new setup is 2.5" downpipe until the front subframe and 2.75" the rest.
One think that surprised me was that the car spooled much faster(200rpms down). I couldn't believe that because the turbo was already maxed out at 1.35 bar. I was so curious that i hit the dyno today and the car on wastegate pressure gained 10hp(250 at the crank, 240 before) but at full boost the numbers were exactly the same(285 at the crank).

2Ylfum.jpg

ZOcL3C.jpg

I also did a vid but me phone couldn't keep up with the exhaust (naughty)

Finally I got me exhaust upgraded.
I couldn't believe that because the turbo was already maxed out at 1.35 bar. I was so curious that i hit the dyno today and the car on wastegate pressure gained 10hp(250 at the crank, 240 before) but at full boost the numbers were exactly the same(285 at the crank).

That is, if you'll pardon my language, s***-your-pants power in this little car. (eek) Awesome!

Have you driven it on the street yet? Is all that power manageable? It's within spitting distance of my modded WRX which still terrifies me.

Santa came early for the 2.
10 to 11 months ago I got a used TD05H 16G small from a subaru but because I served my time in the army(Here in Greece is mandatory to do 9 months as a soldier) never got to install it.

Finally couple weeks ago I got time to do it. I choose this specific turbo because besides the modification to the inlet of the compressor everything else is just bolt on.
cache.php
cache.php

cache.php
cache.php

Last week got to the dyno, and I am a bit disappointed with the numbers. Something clearly holding back the turbo. at 0.8bar makes the same power with the TD04(at same boost) and at 1.2 makes the power that the TD04 did at 1.3bar. At 1.5bar the car made just over 300hp with 360nm of torque. At 1.5bar the power should be around 320-340 with this turbo. Maybe its the small throttle body. I am gonna find it for sure..
cache.php

Maybe see if you can get a second map sensor to put in a charge pipe preferably right before the throttle body, and just use it's signal as a gauge to compare vs the actual map sensor, so see how much pressure drop is going on? I'd assume this shouldn't be terribly hard with a standalone?

Cool build, still following :)

Maybe see if you can get a second map sensor to put in a charge pipe preferably right before the throttle body, and just use it's signal as a gauge to compare vs the actual map sensor, so see how much pressure drop is going on? I'd assume this shouldn't be terribly hard with a standalone?

Cool build, still following :)

I am not with a standalone, I am using E-manage ultimate.
Your idea is not that bad but because I found a bigger throttle body for less than 40$, and I gave it a try. I don't have any definite results just yet(I just bolted up) the thing is that its working without any remap.

cache.php

cache.php

cache.php

Which TB did you swap in that fit? I did a search years ago and I got an RX-8 one for cheap, but we had to swap two pins on the connector to get it to work correctly. I tend to remember one of the coolant lines was in the way as well so we made a plate adapter for it to be able to rotate it for clearance, so we could mess around with it. I am curious which one you found that swapped in which is nice.

I think its a TB from late 1.6 Mazda3, I have the same round about 1 year with no problems in mazda 2 1.3. Gives a litte better acceleration and a bit less restricted breath at high RPMs - I Think. The difference is round about 5mm in diameter only in the inner tube not in the outer diameter.
If you dyno this Im intressting in result. For search of this TB - Ebay will help especially with side by side pics.

Last edited:
Which TB did you swap in that fit? I did a search years ago and I got an RX-8 one for cheap, but we had to swap two pins on the connector to get it to work correctly. I tend to remember one of the coolant lines was in the way as well so we made a plate adapter for it to be able to rotate it for clearance, so we could mess around with it. I am curious which one you found that swapped in which is nice.
It's from an MX-5 1.8/2.0. I also had to swap the power pins and I had to drill the Fng out of the holes on the body to bolt :p
This tb is 60mm ID, I believe the RX-8 should be bigger.

I think its a TB from late 1.6 Mazda3, I have the same round about 1 year with no problems in mazda 2 1.3. Gives a litte better acceleration and a bit less restricted breath at high RPMs - I Think. The difference is round about 5mm in diameter only in the inner tube not in the outer diameter.
If you dyno this Im intressting in result. For search of this TB - Ebay will help especially with side by side pics.
I was between the MX5 TB and the TB that you are mentioning but I wasn't sure from the photos if it is bigger than the stock(I had send a couple of messages to some sellers in order to measure them but no luck) :( so I decided to go for the MX5's.
If the late 1.6's TB is 5mm bigger then is better to go for this TB as the ID of our intake is 55mm and the stock TB is about 45-48mm.
Maybe I ll go for a custom intake manifold so the extra mm of the TB are not gonna be wasted :)

a new video :)

Back