All-New 2017 Mazda CX-5 To Be Previewed At Novembers Los Angeles Auto Show?

I don't understand the timing here. Most car companies will have 2017 models in the dealers showroom for sale by November 2016. Mazda will just be previewing the 2017 at the November car show? When will it be for sale?

Mazda has been known to skip model years...

It would not surprise me at all for the 2016.5 to be the final edition of this generation, and to then see an ALL NEW CX-5 at the NOVEMBER Auto Show to be delivered to dealers in 3/17 as a 2018 Model...

Mazda has been known to skip model years...

It would not surprise me at all for the 2016.5 to be the final edition of this generation, and to then see an ALL NEW CX-5 at the NOVEMBER Auto Show to be delivered to dealers in 3/17 as a 2018 Model...

There may be a 2017 but nearly unchanged from 2016.5 except for here and there like power seat memory. IIRC, the 2015's were nearly the same as 2014.5

There may be a 2017 but nearly unchanged from 2016.5 except for here and there like power seat memory. IIRC, the 2015's were nearly the same as 2014.5

Yes, I think your scenario is more likely.

All-New 2017 Mazda CX-5 To Be Previewed At Novembers Los Angeles Auto Show?

"An output of roughly 270 to 290 horsepower and more than 260 lb-ft of torque should be possible with ease. The old six-speed automatic is expected to be replaced by a new gearbox. This could get up to 10 gear ratios, and it should improve the way the car feels considerably. "

Sounds perfect providing the max torque is delivered at low revs at least 1500 rpm, and the suspension isn't any harder that at present on the 19" wheels.
SkyActiv-G 2.5T Turbo on 2016 CX-9 has maximum torque at 310 lb-ft @ 2,000 rpm. With maximum horsepower at 227 hp (87 octane) / 250 hp (93 octane) @ 5,000 rpm and 6,300 rpm redline, it's hard to deliver maximum torque below 2,000 rpm no matter how Mazda re-programs it.

Also be aware that for this new SA-G turbo engine, you need to replace expensive spark plugs ($30.95 EACH) every 40,000 miles!

Also be aware that for this new SA-G turbo engine, you need to replace expensive spark plugs ($30.95 EACH) every 40,000 miles!

Who cares? That's 4 plugs at $120 at every 40k miles. People blast that money going out to dinner & movie on the weekend with the family.

SkyActiv-G 2.5T Turbo on 2016 CX-9 has maximum torque at 310 lb-ft @ 2,000 rpm. With maximum horsepower at 227 hp (87 octane) / 250 hp (93 octane) @ 5,000 rpm and 6,300 rpm redline, it's hard to deliver maximum torque below 2,000 rpm no matter how Mazda re-programs it.

Plug replacement will not affect me i change under 30K miles normally.

310 is really good that's all the diesel gets as a peak point in the torque graph, the only turbo petrol i had produced max torque of 177 from 1950 up to 4500 rpm.
Do you have the max torque band available?

Denso (whom makes the Mazda OEM plugs under part# PE02-18-110 also makes identical aftermarket plugs for skyactiv engines under Denso part# 4711 IXEH20TT. You merely need to get the right part number and ensure they are "TT" for twin tipped. OEM specs for gas skyactiv engines are a 0.4-millimeter Iridium center electrode and a 0.7-millimeter Platinum ground electrode.

They could be had for $7.00 each at Amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Pretty sure you can get identical plugs from the same plug manufacturer under an aftermarket part number for the turbo engine. Unless they reuse the same plugs from gas engines.

Last edited:
I just learned of Infiniti's QX30. It's basically an Infiniti GLA 250. I really hope the CX-5 will be able to compete with this and the new Escape as well.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

No way the CX-5 gets a 2.5T. The 6 needs it to compete. The CX-5 does not.

I'll admit my hope that the CX-5 will get a 2.5T is both irrational and self-serving, but it does actually need it to compete against the top end Ford Escape, Subaru Forester XT, Hyundai Tucson, and Kia Sportage. Arguably even the Toyota RAV4, which (rather hilariously to me) has more power in the hybrid than Mazda has in the 2.5NA.

As for the 6 vs the CX-5, here are the 2015 USA sales numbers (from http://insidemazda.mazdausa.com/pre...increase-december-best-annual-sales-20-years/):
CX-5: 111,450
6: 57,897

Total: 319,184

Given that the CX-5 is Mazda's single highest selling vehicle and makes up more than 1/3 of their total US sales, I posit that it's their most visible and most generally desired vehicle here. As such, pairing its "sporty SUV" image with power that matches the other SUVs trying to be "sporty" seems to make a lot of sense.

Interestingly, the 3 comes in second with 107,885 sold last year. As such, I think you could also make a case for a new Mazdaspeed 3 to compete with the GTI and Focus ST. Mazda seems to be stating pretty clearly that they don't care about that, though.

Last edited:
Mazda's have the handling characteristics, looks, but no zoom zoom in acceleration. Every competitor is adding more power to thier line up and I don't believe Mazda will rest without offering the same for the 6 and CX5. We will see this very soon.

I don't think adding more power to the 6 or CX-5 will fundamentally increase sales.
However, it seems that if Mazda is to choose which vehicle to add it to, it should be the CX-5, because they sell more of them. Even if they'll do that, I believe only a fraction of owners will get the more powerful version. I think people appreciate things like memory seats/panoramic sunroof/rear vents and other doohickies more. Instead of more power, Mazda can bring a Signature trim to the CX-5.

If they would add it to the CX5, it would be added for all of the CX5s, or it would be a separate trim level?

I think if I had it to do over again, I might would get the turbo, but it's kindof addictive having a gas-sipping daily beater, and an actual sports vehicle would be much more captivating anyway as a second car. Still, I think this could upstage the Forester XT, and is a good option for Mazda to offer!

If they would add it to the CX5, it would be added for all of the CX5s, or it would be a separate trim level?
If it were a separate trim level they might be discriminating folks who want to pay for the turbo but not for other features. But that's how they are packaging their current cars any way.

I'd love to pick and choose. I think I can deal without a sunroom, Bose, leather, nav, dual climate, but def want the cold weather package and bi xenons next time around.

Last edited:
If it were a separate trim level they might be discriminating folks who want to pay for the turbo but not for other features. But that's how they are packaging their current cars any way.

I'd love to pick and choose. I think I can deal without a sunroom, Bose, leather, nav, dual climate, but def want the cold weather package and bi xenons next time around.

I think that if they add the turbo across the board, they would be able to afford adding some of the features they left of previously due to weight. (Panoramic sunroof for example)

The next cx5 will probably be on the sky Activ platform as well so who knows what Mazda will be planning. Really hoping we see it in the next few months

I'll admit my hope that the CX-5 will get a 2.5T is both irrational and self-serving, but it does actually need it to compete against the top end Ford Escape, Subaru Forester XT, Hyundai Tucson, and Kia Sportage. Arguably even the Toyota RAV4, which (rather hilariously to me) has more power in the hybrid than Mazda has in the 2.5NA.

As for the 6 vs the CX-5, here are the 2015 USA sales numbers (from http://insidemazda.mazdausa.com/pre...increase-december-best-annual-sales-20-years/):
CX-5: 111,450
6: 57,897

Total: 319,184

Given that the CX-5 is Mazda's single highest selling vehicle and makes up more than 1/3 of their total US sales, I posit that it's their most visible and most generally desired vehicle here. As such, pairing its "sporty SUV" image with power that matches the other SUVs trying to be "sporty" seems to make a lot of sense.

Interestingly, the 3 comes in second with 107,885 sold last year. As such, I think you could also make a case for a new Mazdaspeed 3 to compete with the GTI and Focus ST. Mazda seems to be stating pretty clearly that they don't care about that, though.

See, I would use that data to make the opposite point. The CX-5 and Mazda 3 are selling well without the power. People who are looking at the Mazda 6 are also looking at things like an Accord, a Maxima or even an Acura ILX or TLX. The 2.5T would give the 6 and edge that it clearly needs to sell.

Back