Aftermarket rims for 2007 cx-9

JOSER_SPEED6

:
2014 Mazda 6 Touring
I am looking at putting new rims on my CX-9. I am looking at two different sets. First set is 20x9 Axis Angle wheels in Matt black +20 offset. I am pretty confident these will fit. I am more concerend with the second set I am looking at. 20x10 Axis Elite, Matt Black with a high offset +50.

From past experiences with my old SPEED6 I know Mazdas aren't always the easiest to put aftermarket wheels on so I was wondering what others have tried or if you know what I am considering would work. Any help would be greatly apprecaited.

Thanks!

I have no experience with aftermarket wheels for the CX-9, but quite a bit with many other vehicles. I would be concerned about the 20" x 9" wheels with +20mm offset having problems making contact with the body due the low offset with a wider than stock wheel. The 20" x 10" with +50mm offset might actually fit better with the higher offset to compensate for the wider 10" width of the wheel. This all depends on the tire size and ride height of course, so there is really only one way to know for certain. Just make sure you're buying from somewhere you can exchange the wheels if they turn out not to fit.

I have no experience with aftermarket wheels for the CX-9, but quite a bit with many other vehicles. I would be concerned about the 20" x 9" wheels with +20mm offset having problems making contact with the body due the low offset with a wider than stock wheel. The 20" x 10" with +50mm offset might actually fit better with the higher offset to compensate for the wider 10" width of the wheel. This all depends on the tire size and ride height of course, so there is really only one way to know for certain. Just make sure you're buying from somewhere you can exchange the wheels if they turn out not to fit.

Yeah that was my concern, but the reason why I am thinking they will fit is because I have seen other CX-9's on deep 22's and have even seen one on staggered 22's. I am thinking of running 255 45 20 on the 20x9's and 265 40 20 on the 20x10's.

The reason I am questioning the fitment is because when I had my SPEED6 I could only put high offset up to 8" or 8.5" wide wheels and I still had to roll my fenders....I went thru 6 different sets of wheel on that car, not because there was anything wrong with them, I just liked changing up wheels alot. At one point I even had 20x8.5 +45 offset AXIS RENNSPORT wheels on it....I know 20's on a MS6, what the hell was I thinking (no)

I know that the SPEED6 and a CX-9 are two completely different types of Mazdas but it does seem that Mazdas have more issues than other makes for finding wheels that fit properly.

I've owned a couple of other Mazdas that I've put aftermarket wheels on without any fitment problems, so I think it has more to do with the specific vehicle than a manufacturer. FWIW, both tires sizes you mention are smaller in diameter than the stock 245/50R20 size. Particularly the 265/40R20 size is over an inch shorter than stock. That will result in a change in final drive gear ratio and increased speedometer error.

So I went with the 20X9 Axis Angles in Matt Black and I also got a set of 245 50 20 Hankook Ventus AS Tires. I wanted more of a touring tire with plenty of cushion and this way it wont throw anything off since this tire size is what comes on the factory 20's.

I test fit the wheels and they fit with no problems. Now just waiting to get my new extended lug nuts and Gorilla Locks and will hopefully install them the following weekend. I'm needing new brakes so not sure if I will install them prior to the new wheels.

I'll post some pics once they are mounted

Congrats! Can't wait to see the pics. Glad to hear they fit even with the 20mm offset. Make sure to test them for rubbing at low speed over a speed bump or driveway lip, etc. before really putting them through their paces at speed.

Back