After 15 months of ownership, my only complaint

I only have a very small # of complaints after a year and a half with mine.

1) I don't like the keyless entry solution they have with respects to the doors. I don't want to push the button to unlock the doors (on the door) if I don't want to use the key.

My 2009 Mazda 6 all you had to do was slide ur hand behind the handle and it unlocked. No button pushing at all. truly keyless entry.

2) Why on earth for a 45,000$ vehicle do we not have a LOCK on the glove box? My first car (20,000$ Chevy Cavalier) had a lock on the glove box.

That's it. No other complaints yet.

I agree about the keyless entry, same procedure on my CX-9. Your 2009 6 had it, my 2008 IS250 had it.. the 2nd gen CX-9 and CX-5 should have had them too.

Agree with OP. Cost cutting, I imagine.

I just hit the button(s) in relative position to the green LED...
Never miss it yet.
FWIW, the Homelink mirror style that comes with the various trims are the same styles that we have had in various other cars, front facing buttons in Acura, Toyota and other Mazda, and the so called frameless Homelink with the buttons on the bottom. My 2019 Subaru WRX has the same mirror as the 2021 Signature and operates in the same way. I am guessing that the exact same Homelink mirrors (older style with frame, and newer style without frame) are supplied to various car manufacturers and there is not too much incentive to retool or reprogram. You can actually see that implied in the Homelink GENTEX site, the manufacturer of Homelink. They claim they have an application for every vehicle made.

For me, since 2000 ish, for Homelink overhead dash module, mirrror regardless of frame or frameless, we program the buttons to match our garage doors. Homelink always allows three buttons for remote activation assignment. We have two single car garage doors. When you approach the garages, the left most Homelink button activates the left garage, and the right button, adjacent to the lighted green button opens the right garage door. For us, the middle button is remains unprogrammed,

I agree about the keyless entry, same procedure on my CX-9. Your 2009 6 had it, my 2008 IS250 had it.. the 2nd gen CX-9 and CX-5 should have had them too.

Dealer told me (whether this is true or not) the Mazda 6 was made in Detroit, and because it was a shared platform with the Ford Fusion or whatever the hell that car was, it shared a lot of the common features, and that feature actually was a Ford system, not a Mazda one.

Since the CX-5 is a strictly-Mazda platform, that might be why we're seeing the differences?

Last edited:
Dealer told me (whether this is true or not) the Mazda 6 was made in Detroit, and because it was a shared platform with the Ford 500 or whatever the hell that car was, it shared a lot of the common features, and that feature actually was a Ford system, not a Mazda one.

Since the CX-5 is a strictly-Mazda platform, that might be why we're seeing the differences?
Had not heard that! The Ford 500 you know as the Taurus. This is also the Edge platform and draws it lineage from the Volvo S80 of old

As you may know, the Signature comes with the upgraded frameless Homelink mirror with the buttons on the bottom, I got the same mirror in my 2019 Subaru WRX. Lower trims came with the older framed mirror with the buttons facing forward. We had this same framed mirror with buttons facing forward in top level trim of the 2014 CX5 and our 2006 Acura. My 2016 Touring Mazda6 had no Homelink.

Had not heard that! The Ford 500 you know as the Taurus. This is also the Edge platform and draws it lineage from the Volvo S80 of old

My bad! It was the FUSION. Not the 500! LOL My bad!

Back