AEM -VS- Injen

AEM -VS- Injen

• AEM Short Ram Intake

Votes: 32 28.1%
  • Injen Intake

Votes: 82 71.9%

• Total voters
I know many of you have one of the two. The AEM is short ram while the Injen Cai is not and the AEM is usually $30-$50 cheaper too.

Which do you prefer or have?

Last edited:
I have the AEM and I love it.

Edit 4/7/2004:

Well I said that but now I have the Injen and love that. But I am going darkside soon and won't care either way.

Last edited:
i like the injen. i like how it looks. i bet the performance (if there is any) is about the same. but if my engine ever gets hydrolocked can i come back and change my vote? -=)
jK.. im sure ill be fine...
-John

Thanks for the response guys, but I'm still in between. No one has swayed me in either direction yet. I'm leaning towards AEM just cuz it's cheaper, but wonder if it'll lack in extra power just because it's a short ram.

the short ram won't lack any power, especially on our engines. just get what you like. the difference between the injen and AEM are purely looks. the difference in hp gains won't be noticeable, i'm sure. adventon.com has the polished AEM intakes for $130. the injens run about $200. so it's up to you. you make the call. besides, i'm sure not too many people on these boards went from a SRI to a CAI or vice versa since an intake is an intake. just as long as it draws air in in a less restrictive manner than stock, it's all the same to me, besides the looks, of course.

i went with the aem because it is cheaper. my homie has the injen. performance wise is the same. sound is the same. they both look good. but yea intake is intake.

I had my Injen installed by the guy who made it, Injen has been Dyno proven to me by the R&D tech himself at Injen. one thing I can say for sure is that the early Injen CAI (1 1/2 yrs old or older) were not being Dyno tested or RAM tuned, yet and since then they have tweaked their Intakes to give better performance throughout the acceleration from begining to top speed RPM's. The early CAI's only had gained HP in the mid RPM and high RpM (around 3000 rpm and higher). Once they installed their DYNO they were able to tweak the intake and RAM tune them (not that I understand RAM tuning all that much, just what the R&D tech was telling me), on our cars to show improvement at the beginning. if you want the results of my dyno go to this link:

http://protege5.com/vbb225/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12813&perpage=15&pagenumber=3

Hopefully I posted that correctly, if not let me know.

In the end I'm very pleased with the results with Injen. As far as AEM i don't know if they Dyno or RAM tune their intakes. Maybe someone else can say.

On another note I've asked the guy at Injen to visit this forum and answer some questions but he's quite busy so I'll let you all know if/when I can arrange this.

I forgot to mention that those who have a A/T will not see a significant change in hp with an intake. There is some but it's a bit disappointing. However, those who have a 5spd will notice a significant increase. Of course, I have and A/T and when I saw my results I was wishing my wife new how to drive a 5spd.

You and me are in the same boat.

Smilin Marty said:
I forgot to mention that those who have a A/T will not see a significant change in hp with an intake. There is some but it's a bit disappointing. However, those who have a 5spd will notice a significant increase. Of course, I have and A/T and when I saw my results I was wishing my wife new how to drive a 5spd.

LOL:mad:

Patio said:
they do the same thing, intake is intake

Let's not forget the question of hydrolock:

Injen: slight chance
AEM: no chance

I'll take NO chance!:p

yeah intake is intake, but the reason i went with the Injen is because it goes down through the whole by the fender and its surrounded so it would be very hard to get water in the filter, where-as the AEM is in the main engine compartment where it wouold be more likely to get water sucked into it....just my opinion.....

scootzpr5 said:
yeah intake is intake, but the reason i went with the Injen is because it goes down through the whole by the fender and its surrounded so it would be very hard to get water in the filter, where-as the AEM is in the main engine compartment where it wouold be more likely to get water sucked into it....just my opinion.....

This does not make sense as the wheel well is not air tight, and the short-ram intake is way above the point where your engine would quit from an electrical short or such if you ever drove through water that high(about a 3ft deep puddle)

Isn't having a filter in the engine compartment counter productive? What quality of air do you get? HOT! I'm no scientist but I believe the whole purpose is to get colder air isn't it?

With Injen, it is enclosed in the bumber so it's protected by the elements. So if your worried about hydrolock then your car should be fully waterproofed because you just went fording up and beyond your bumper. No offense but if your driving in water deep enough to get sucked through the cone then you shouldn't be driving. Or, maybe you should be driving a Hummer.

Smilin Marty said:
I'm no scientist but I believe the whole purpose is to get colder air isn't it?

No, that is part of the reason. It's already been determined that the power gains are approx. equal.

No offense but if your driving in water deep enough to get sucked through the cone then you shouldn't be driving. [/B]

Well it rains a bit more here in Florida then it does in So. Cali. So I guess if I'm at work and we get a bit of flooding, I should just let my kid stay at school a few hours longer then usual.:p

I didn't say hydrolocking was a sure thing with an Injen, I said it's a slight chance. But it has happened.

Well look on the bright side, If you don't drive your car in the flood and your kid has to stay at school a bit longer, not only do you save your car but your kid may end up smarter due to the after school extra carricular activity. ;)

i see from reading everyones posts in this topic that "an intake is an intake"... well now what i am wondering is then what is the difference with a $35 dollar Short Ram intake bought off ebay versus an AEM Short Ram intake other than the name....

Back