AEM ems for Mazda Protege 01+

ddogg777

:
2002 Yellow P5
In the next couple weeks my Pro5 will be under the knife at the hands of Beau at Mental Addiction Motorsports. Now that his parts are coming in, he can finish up his basic turbo kits and begin working on his Thumper kit. As things have been moving along, we have discussed issues of engine management and I expressed interest in using the AEM system for its large (yet complex) array of engine management features, tunability, and also because Beau has previous experience with the AEM. Therefore, all those who want the features that the AEM can offer, stay tuned for more information in the next few days. Beau has the AEM, EECV harness, and wiring diagram in hand and will be working like a mad man to offer this to the Mazda community.

How are you going to do it?

I've been thinking that using a Miata AEM would be just fine, given all if you have all of the wiring diagrams and such for both cars. Becuase the AEM is so changeable, you would be able to change anything that is different form the Miata and the Protege.

I have been thinking about this for awhile. But I'm not sure how I want to do it as there are a number of options which would be easily supported locally.

well beau helped DESIGN a few systems for the mustangs working with AEM so hes pretty good at all the s***.

I would be very interested in finally seeing the AEM unit go into production from a reputable dealer like MAM.

will he be releasing a female eecv harness for sale for people like say, MPI Tuner users, to make their non PNP units PNP

KzA said:
will he be releasing a female eecv harness for sale for people like say, MPI Tuner users, to make their non PNP units PNP
I'm working on this.Ford owns the rights to this connector and it can not be reproduced without rights to it.And Ford is not going to give rights.
I will be doing a write(parts list) for those that would like to buy the parts and make there own AEM setup.There's no real magic here(just lot's of time).There's a few things like EECV calibration files that have to be loaded to the box,etc.

^^^

because beau is the s***, and he at least admits how easy and honest the process is as far as complicated matters. and hes been doing this s*** longer than anyone on this board, i would venture to say. id trust his AEM ems over some guy who is sitting in jail :)

Matthew said:
he at least admits how easy and honest the process is as far as complicated matters.
It will be easy when it's up and running and all the bugs are worked out.So far the thing that takes the most time is building the adapter harness.

For those that are interested in this here is the begining parts list.
Keep inmind the parts listed here are not all that is needed.
AEM 1050 EMS
ECCV Calibration file
female EECV harness
AEM 1050 pin out harness.

yes, good.

I'm friends with a cert. aem tuner, but he doesn't want to mess with the protege, but he did say he would tune my car for basicly free.

This looks like the system for me.

Matthew said:
beau you can test this thing out on my car if you need a guinea pig :D
We originally started the AEM setup along time ago with a 1010 box.We stopped because of the EECV file needed,cost and a few other things.

We have Duane's car for the guinea pig.

Last edited:
MP3skaterNC said:
I'm friends with a cert. aem tuner,
That's good to hear.Not to slam on anyone, but the AEM Cert. is a course that shows the features of the AEM.In no way does it mean you know how to or teach you how to tune..The coarse is nothing to go and brag about.The course is 2 days long.The first day is sitting in the class room going through the software showing where items are located,what stuff is,etc.The 2nd day is out on a dyno with a car.The instructor messes the tune up on the car(real easy messup)and you have to find and fix it(this is how it was for my tuners and myself).The only way to learn the AEM is HANDS ON.For those that are interested in this software, you should download the current version 1.11.
Here is the link:
http://forum.aempower.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=8610

Keep inmind the AEM is not for everyone.The software is VERY intense/indepth.

Yeah, he said it was pretty simple to get. I trust his tuning though, hes done a 450whp civic, and a number of turbo M3's

MP3skaterNC said:
Yeah, he said it was pretty simple to get. I trust his tuning though, hes done a 450whp civic, and a number of turbo M3's
It's always good to have someone close that can teach you how to use the AEM.Our goal right now for my P5 is 500HP.Our project should be complete by Dec-Jan.
The items we are working on are either finshed or being built.A few things that we have had to get manufactured are:
Oliver Billet Rods. ..being built by Oliver
CP Pistons...being built by CP
1/2 Fuel rail..Built by us.
Aluminum short runner intake..being built by us.
Ported head..being done by Brian Tolley
AEM EMS..being modified to fit the Protege by us.

Back