Advice

Is there any way to find out if it will pass inspection before you buy it or spend money on it?

I've been told that my car won't pass safety so it's only worth ~$250 as scrap.

Not that I can think of other than just going into a place and showing them a picture lol. He wants $200

I think it's worth the gamble.
If it doesn't pass you can sell a few easy parts and get a couple hundred at a scrapyard.

I went to see it again today with a friend and he didn’t see anything I didn’t. Engine has a good bit of blow by and an oil leak that’s burning on the exhaust.

Well she’s home.
3A214892-6074-4CB6-9641-D31E0A63786C.jpeg
C4E52BD8-10B2-4C22-915D-C2A55BD660D0.jpeg
B30F3375-B352-4F69-8BFE-8FE3272B3B5F.jpeg

I really gotta figure out the oil problem it smokes baaad
Maybe I’ll start a build thread or more so a repair and drive the crap out of thread.

" I really gotta figure out the oil problem it smokes baaad "

It's your pistons.
You just remove them, clean them, and reinstall them.
Lol.

I'm pretty sure it ain't that easy. also its leaking somewhere on the front of the engine onto the exhaust. I'll get pictures tomorrow

Yeah, I was just being a smart ass...

But your pistons probably have seized oil rings.

Yes I know I'm gonna try throwing chemicals down its throat and hope for the best. I have no problem tearing into a $200 cars engine, worst case scenario I paid for a learning experience, buuut I'd like to drive and I'd definitely get some negative feedback if I had a third car just sitting around.

I'd never tear into the engine on my daily driver.
I'd never get it back together and doing it right is beyond my abilities.

I just hacked into my parts car cutting and breaking everything to get a piston out to investigate.

Even that was a lot of work.

Weeelll it isn't a daily yet... also I just rebuilt an engine at school so my confidence level is higher than usual.

Okay, well there is the "Quick & Sloppy" ring job that Mr. Giggles did.

He rebuilt his engine in a day or two.
(he is a mechanic though.)

Here's his thread about it...
Lots of helpful information.

Back