Adding/Editing Maps

I have to admit that the built in Nav is simply terrible. It literally has me turn off of major roads, takes me way out of the way and then put me back on the same road. Delays my trip. typically these are not due to any traffic conditions either. Have noticed some weird routes it calculates. When I ignore the directions the estimated duration of the trip does recalculate and dropps substantially. I do like the HUD navigation though. Also the onboard navigation shuts off when navigation from Apple Car Play is used.

I hate to make a suggestion to someone who has more experience with these things than I do...

I had a similar thing happen to me once. I was going to a meeting about 30 miles away and knew I should take the interstate east to a major highway south. The NAV had me get off the interstate too soon and "cut the corner" through a business district. When I arrived, I realized I had the NAV set to "Shortest Distance" versus "Fastest Route."

I usually browse the suggested routes (Fast/Short/Easy) just to see how the routing differs on the map before starting out.

I have to admit that the built in Nav is simply terrible. It literally has me turn off of major roads, takes me way out of the way and then put me back on the same road. Delays my trip. typically these are not due to any traffic conditions either. Have noticed some weird routes it calculates. When I ignore the directions the estimated duration of the trip does recalculate and dropps substantially. I do like the HUD navigation though. Also the onboard navigation shuts off when navigation from Apple Car Play is used.
It's not limited to Mazda. Garmin devices have done the same thing to us too.

I hate to make a suggestion to someone who has more experience with these things than I do...

I had a similar thing happen to me once. I was going to a meeting about 30 miles away and knew I should take the interstate east to a major highway south. The NAV had me get off the interstate too soon and "cut the corner" through a business district. When I arrived, I realized I had the NAV set to "Shortest Distance" versus "Fastest Route."
Is there a default setting for Fast Short Easy? I didn't change any settings.

That will definitely help. Shortest will give some bizarre routes.

I went and checked. My default was set to Shortest so maybe that is why. I set the default to Fastest.
There you go.

It only occurred to me to check that setting out in the first place because some internet mapping software gives you that choice when plotting directions, and the NAV eventually got me to where I was going. It wasn't as though there was confusion on the destination.

I've driven to random remote spots in the rural counties here, selected Shortest Route, and then had the NAV take me back home¹. I learned some very remote roads that I would never have a real need to be on...as brillo54 said, Shortest will give some bizarre routes.

¹This is what you do for entertainment in an area with no movie theatres or bowling alleys.

Last edited:
I usually browse the suggested routes (Fast/Short/Easy) just to see how the routing differs on the map before starting out.
I didn't know you could browse the routes. When I enter the destination and hit "Start," the map is zoomed in pretty close.

I'll have to play with it.

Just so much to learn on new cars. It's like getting a bunch of new complex gadgets all at the same time, and you can't sit on the couch to fiddle with them.

I didn't know you could browse the routes. When I enter the destination and hit "Start," the map is zoomed in pretty close.

Instead of hitting Start, scroll down until you see Route Alternative and select it. Then you'll see Fast, Short, Economical, Easy and below that Browse. Have fun.

Back