Guide: Add paddle shifters to Gen 2 (2017 KF) CX-5 with heated steering wheel. "Easy"

:
2019 CX-5 GTR
The originals are way too small. Where can we buy these in the US?

I don't think there is any US based sellers for Kenstyle.. use this reseller (good results by other forum members for the headrests in the past)

:
2019 CX-5 GTR

With Aliexpress? Yes. Been an Aliexpress customer for 7+ years. Takes time to get your item.
With the specific item? No - but for the price I'd say it is worth the gamble.

:
CA
:
2019 GTR
I know this is going to look like I'm raining on the paddle shifter parade, but they came as part of the premium package in my car, and truthfully, once the novelty wore off (which happened very quickly), I realized there's really not much point to them.
I can honestly say I never use them. Don't really see the usefullness to be honest.
Maybe we can do an informal poll from people that have them, and asking if they actually use them and why.

Probably why Mazda doesn’t offer paddles on many trims (or models)...few folks know how/want to use them. I’ve had paddles on five of my last six vehicles and I miss them on the CX. Not enough to install them in a lease, and I can use the shift lever pretty easily. After all, manual vehicles require you to take a hand off the wheel to shift - and millions of drivers have been doing that for over a century. I use the manual function for 80% of my driving so shifting is important to me and paddles are a nice feature. Others may not see the attraction.
Totally get where you guys are coming from. I drove exclusively sticks for 20 years, but the last time I needed to get a new vehicle I couldn't find any attractive manual options in my price range. When I decided on the CX-5, I didn't fault it for not having paddle shifters because I always use my right hand for shifting anyway, right?

Well after a couple years driving my CX-5, for me: no, not right. I never swing the gear selector over to manual mode. I'm James Bond when my left foot and right hand are working me though a manual gearbox. I'm Austin Powers when I'm using the auto gear selector manual mode. I think I've given it an honest shot, but I just feel silly clicking that knob up and down to get around town. Most of the time there's no point. So I don't use the manual mode regularly, so it hasn't become second nature, so kicking down a gear with it is not a fast process for me.

But now, with the paddle shifters installed, I have a lower gear literally at my fingertips. I don't need to be in manual mode, managing every shift all the time. But when I'm rolling along in a slow lane of traffic and I see a gap coming in a faster lane next to me, it's almost instantaneous to ask for a lower gear to prep for a burst of acceleration. I can leave it to the auto to manage the mundane parts, and any time I know something my transmission does not, it's fast and easy to give it a hint.

To do the same thing without the paddle shifters, you have to reach down to the selector, slide it over to manual mode, click down a gear, do whatever you needed the lower gear for, then reach back down and slide it back to auto mode. Not the end of the world, but it's hard to argue it's not significantly better to just click once with your hand on the wheel, where it already is.

TBarney

'17 CX-5 AWD GT Prem. Original owner of 91 Miata.
:
Atlanta metro
Just thought I'd check in and report that I'm still very happy with this mod. Use them all the time. The car is always at least 2 gears too high going into sharp turns, so I've developed the habit already of giving the left paddle two flips while braking, just so I'm not waiting for that bog followed by a late, neck-snapping downshift that the car does if left to it's own devices. (By contrast, you can feel the wife's BMW downshifting on it's own as you brake, so it's always in the best gear for acceleration. Her car has paddles, too, but I almost never need them!)

I've also found that the car doesn't seem to know what to do with 3rd gear on a piece of road I frequent, and the paddles help there, too. In regular mode, it shifts up too soon unless you're really just loafing along. But if you put it in sport (auto) mode, it winds it out for too long it seems. By putting it into sport mode, it holds 3rd gear long enough, but I can easily bump it up to 4th before it thinks it's time.

Edit: Heh. Typing while CX-MCHNE was, apparently. We're of like minds!

Totally get where you guys are coming from. I drove exclusively sticks for 20 years, but the last time I needed to get a new vehicle I couldn't find any attractive manual options in my price range. When I decided on the CX-5, I didn't fault it for not having paddle shifters because I always use my right hand for shifting anyway, right?

Well after a couple years driving my CX-5, for me: no, not right. I never swing the gear selector over to manual mode. I'm James Bond when my left foot and right hand are working me though a manual gearbox. I'm Austin Powers when I'm using the auto gear selector manual mode. I think I've given it an honest shot, but I just feel silly clicking that knob up and down to get around town. Most of the time there's no point. So I don't use the manual mode regularly, so it hasn't become second nature, so kicking down a gear with it is not a fast process for me.

But now, with the paddle shifters installed, I have a lower gear literally at my fingertips. I don't need to be in manual mode, managing every shift all the time. But when I'm rolling along in a slow lane of traffic and I see a gap coming in a faster lane next to me, it's almost instantaneous to ask for a lower gear to prep for a burst of acceleration. I can leave it to the auto to manage the mundane parts, and any time I know something my transmission does not, it's fast and easy to give it a hint.

To do the same thing without the paddle shifters, you have to reach down to the selector, slide it over to manual mode, click down a gear, do whatever you needed the lower gear for, then reach back down and slide it back to auto mode. Not the end of the world, but it's hard to argue it's not significantly better to just click once with your hand on the wheel, where it already is.
Agree. If they are there, you will use them when you need to. Otherwise, I'd just resort to stabbing the gas to get an auto to downshift. I bought the aliexpress extenders because I think the OEM paddle are just too small. We'll see how that goes.

tibimakai

San Dimas CA
:
USA
:
2014 CX-5 Touring
There are differences between the old and the new kit? Should I remove my kit and I can transfer it to a new CX-5?

I usually use it to slow down (downshift), or sometimes when it takes to long to speed up.

Latest posts