Acceleration difference in 2019 from 2016

Izzy223cafe

2019 CX5-GT
Anyone else notice this. I’ve been trying to find specific 0-60 acceleration rates. I think my 2019 GT is a tad slower on acceleration than my 2016 Touring was. Seems odd but any other feedback?

Try this website.

2019 GT AWD 0-60 is 8.3
2015 Touring 0-60 was 7.8 (closest year Touring they have to 2016)
2016 GT AWD 0-60 was 7.7

Data is aggregated from "various sources." Maybe not official factory specs.

Yes, the added sound deadening along with other changes increased CX5 weight thus slower acceleration for the Gen2 NA engine models. What your observing is real.
Trade off for the upscale cabin and much less road noise.

I did finally find some of those stats, thanks for the resources and numbers. Overall pleased with my upgrade especially since I got the parchment leather ( I didn’t like the heat the darker color generated). But a tad disappointed it doesn’t zoom around as quick, lol.

So where did you find the stats?

Where are they?
What are they?

Same numbers as yours, on a buried Motor Trend review. The ones that compare all the small SUV’s.
Gotcha.

I trolled the Mazda site and could not find the info.
None of the numbers I found on the web referred back to an official Mazda source.

Sounds like folks are recycling each other's test-track data. And they do validate your subjective impression.

Most likely, the 2014 Touring is faster than the GT, because it was lighter. Less features, no leather seats.

Most likely, the 2014 Touring is faster than the GT, because it was lighter. Less features, no leather seats.
You got specs for your car kicking around?

2019 GT curb weight is 3,541 (FWD) / 3,679 (AWD)
187 hp @ 6,000 rpm/186 lb-ft @ 4,000 rpm

By way of reference, the 2019 Touring specs (including curb weight) are identical.
This is per the Mazda 2019 CX-5 spec sheets.

Google:

2014 Touring curb weight is 3,375 (FWD) / 3,532 (AWD)
184 hp @ 5,700 rpm/185 lb-ft @ 3,250 rpm

Google:

2014 Touring curb weight is 3,375 (FWD) / 3,532 (AWD)
184 hp @ 5,700 rpm/185 lb-ft @ 3,250 rpm
Thanks!

So the hp/weight ratio for the 2019 GT (and Touring) is .0528 (FWD) / .0508 (AWD)
The hp/weight ratio for the 2014 Touring is .0545 (FWD) / .0521 (AWD)

That's a 3.2% / 2.6% difference.
I'm not smart enough to know if that difference is significant.

Torque is nearly identical. I guess gearing is the missing piece, huh?

Last edited:
Gotcha.

I trolled the Mazda site and could not find the info.
None of the numbers I found on the web referred back to an official Mazda source.

Sounds like folks are recycling each other's test-track data. And they do validate your subjective impression.

Yeh, that's the site I got data from & bookmarked earlier in this thread.

They say:
Please take into account that the Mazda 0 to 60 times and Quarter mile data listed on this car performance page is gathered from numerous credible sources. There are a great deal of factors that affect the Mazda cars 0-60 stats, so different sources may test the same vehicle and each may arrive at a unique 0-60 mph and quarter mile result.

I did mean to tell you that was a great website reference, thanks for the reference. It was very interesting to compare different years and even other different models.
You're welcome. Dougal found it, too, but my embedded link didn't make the source that apparent.

So many people here contribute so much.

I went to my dealer the other day for my car's first service. Thanks to what folks share here, I was more that reasonably conversant on the CX-5 and on what's going on with Mazda in general. I was surprised at how much I had absorbed, given I have no other experience with the brand.

And I find it interesting how accurate your "butt dyno" is!! It's not easy to sit in two different model years/trims at different times and accurately sense an acceleration difference.

By way of reference, the 2019 Touring specs (including curb weight) are identical.
This is per the Mazda 2019 CX-5 spec sheets.

Mazda is LAZY when it comes to curb weight specifics. I believe they also list the 2019 Sport trim is identical weight to the Touring and non-turbo GT......complete BS. (GT have leather seats, more speakers, power liftgate standard, etc) How do the lower trims equal exact to the GT....not possible.

Back