ACC Operation

Pitter

Pitter
Contributor
:
2020 CX-5 Signature Azul Metalico
How do you turn the vehicle on to ACC i.e. where the engine is off but you can operate the radio and power windows?

Push the Start Button without pressing the brake (assuming you got the fob on you).

Here's the whole set of instructions, Pg 4-4 in the North American manual:

The system operates only when the key is within operational range. Each time the push button start is pressed, the ignition switches in the order of off, ACC, and ON. Pressing the push button start again from ON switches the ignition off.

The engine starts by pressing the push button start while depressing the clutch pedal (manual transaxle) or the brake pedal (automatic transaxle). To switch the ignition position, press the push button start without depressing the pedal.

Do not leave the ignition switched ON while the engine is not running. Doing so could result in the battery going dead. If the ignition is left in ACC (For automatic transaxle, the selector lever is in the P position, and the ignition is in ACC), the ignition switches off automatically after about 25 minutes.

The power supply to electrical devices turns off and the push button start indicator light (amber) also turns off.

WARNING Before leaving the driver's seat, always switch the ignition off, set the parking brake, and make sure the selector lever is in P (automatic transaxle) position or in 1st gear or R (manual transaxle): Leaving the driver's seat without switching the ignition off, setting the parking brake, and shifting the selector lever to P (automatic transaxle) position or to 1st gear or R (manual transaxle) is dangerous. Unexpected vehicle movement could occur which could result in an accident. In addition, if your intention is to leave the vehicle for even a short period, it is important to switch the ignition off, as leaving it in another position will disable some of the vehicle's security systems and run the battery down. ACC (Accessory) Some electrical accessories will operate and the indicator light (amber) illuminates. NOTE The keyless entry system does not function while the push button start has been pressed to ACC, and the doors will not lock/unlock even if they have been locked manually.
When Driving Start/Stop Engine

ON This is the normal running position after the engine is started. The indicator light (amber) turns off. (The indicator light (amber) illuminates when the ignition is switched ON and the engine is not running.) Some indicator lights/warning lights should be inspected before the engine is started (page 4-12). NOTE When the push button start is pressed to ON, the sound of the fuel pump motor operating near the fuel tank can be heard. This does not indicate an abnormality.

And to switch directly to ACC when turning the ignition off, put it in park and hold the transmission interlock button while you hit the ignition button.

And to switch directly to ACC when turning the ignition off, put it in park and hold the transmission interlock button while you hit the ignition button.

^^This is a handy tip^^

I've used it a lot since Shadonoz put it out there.

You may have noticed that--unlike many other cars--when you turn off the ignition, everything in the CX-5 turns off...including the radio. (My truck would keep playing tunes until I opened the door.)

So by following this tip, you can arrive at your destination and finish listening to a song without having to leave the engine running.

That's a handy tip. How did you discover this? I don't think it's in the manual.

Doesn't anyone know why Mazda, in all their wisdom, neglected to include RAP (retained accessory power) in their cars? Without exception, every car that I have ever owned had RAP which allowed the windows, sunroof, and the radio to still operate after the car had been shut down. I can't tell you how many times I've had to turn the power back on just so that I could close the windows in my CX. It's just stupid.

"And to switch directly to ACC when turning the ignition off, put it in park and hold the transmission interlock button while you hit the ignition button. "

The above does work but it doesn't power the windows or sunroof and it shuts down after a short period of time.

I discovered that if you turn the car on, but don't start it, then place the gear selector in neutral, then press the Start button, the power will stay on for hours. This is a danger because you can drain the battery so be careful.

Doesn't anyone know why Mazda, in all their wisdom, neglected to include RAP (retained accessory power) in their cars?

It is weird that for all the high-end accoutrements, handling, etc. that Mazda has created, for some reason they fall apart when it comes to implementing User-Interface firmware that's been around since the 90s. The RAP issue, the sketchy Infotainment performance...it makes no sense.

That's a handy tip. How did you discover this? I don't think it's in the manual.

Knowing it's an interlock switch, I just experimented. Science!!! :)

Or maybe I read it somewhere. Can't remember. Can't even remember what I had for breakfast! ;)

They would do it on my 2106 GT also, but I think only as long as you didn*t open the door first.

That's how my truck was. You tun off the ignition and it went into a version of Accessories mode until you opened the door as though you were exiting...then all power was cut off. This was with a physical key in the ignition switch.

I've not tried this in my 2019 CX-5, since I usually drive with the A/C on, the windows up and the sunroof closed (just trying to keep the country dust out). All I know is that the Infotainment turns off when I turn off the engine.

On my 2018 the windows will close after turn off.

As long as a door hasn't been opened the driver's window on my CX will work after shutting the car off but only the driver's window and only for a few minutes. Why only the driver's window? In what world does it makes sense to only have the driver's window work after shutting the car off?

Something to do with 16s and the "only the drivers window is automatic."

Back