Off Topic A thread for meatheads, gymrats, fitspos and anything related to fitness

sm1ke

Work In Progress..
Contributor
L
Canada
V
'18 CX-9 Signature
With the new forum switch completed, I figured I'd try to make more use of the Lounge instead of posting unrelated stuff in model-specific subforums.

Since there's no fitness-specific subforum here, I started this thread so we could post anything "fitness-related" in here. I know there are one or two active members here who pick things up and put them down, but it seems like most of the others posted more actively over 10 years ago. Maybe in time, if there are enough active members interested in fitness, we can make a case for a new sub, but for now let's start with this.

They say the hardest part about working out is getting started, which I agree with 100%. Before I started, I looked like your average skinny filipino kid who played too many video games, only I had a good sized belly going and I actually weighed about 220 lbs (I probably looked like I weighed 160 based on my wiry arms).

I started getting a little more serious about lifting about 4-5 years ago, mostly due to the convenience of a new job in an office that had a small gym in the basement with an annual membership fee of only $60. I started working out there every day during my lunch hour. After a few weeks it became a routine, something to look forward to every day.

Soon enough, I progressed to the point of wanting to lift more than the 80 lb dumbbells available. I started a garage gym and shifted towards building what I call "functional strength" in the deadlift, bench press, and squat. Before I moved into my new place, I had pegged my max lifts at 285 lbs for the bench press, about 335 lbs for the squat, and about 375 lbs for the deadlift. I put on a good amount of size while dropping down to about 210 lbs. I also became a bit of a gym equipment nerd and stopped spending money on video games. Instead, I spent that money on more gym equipment.

That was all about a year and a half ago. The new place doesn't have enough room for the power rack, and lifting has become less of a priority after becoming a father, so I'm sure that I've lost some strength over the past couple of years. That said, I've been able to make enough room to set up a functional trainer, a bench and a pair of Powerblocks, and a makeshift deadlift platform. I also scored a pair of free squat stands. With my daughter nearing 2 years of age, she's becoming a lot more independent and its becoming a little easier to find the time to work out.

Anyway, that's my story. I'm currently just doing some general workouts to get my ass back in gear, and I've set a personal goal of a 3-plate bench, a 4-plate squat and a 5-plate deadlift while aiming to build a body that doesn't jiggle so much when I'm chasing down my kid :ROFLMAO:. I'll get some updated pics of my basement setup posted later in the week.

I'm turning 36 in February and I look forward to becoming better than I was yesterday.

sm1ke

Work In Progress..
Contributor
L
Canada
V
'18 CX-9 Signature
Here are some photos of the gear I have set up at the moment.

Functional trainer, adjustable bench, 45-degree back extension, and makeshift deadlift platform.
IMG_20191231_214244.jpg

Squat stands, trap bar, parallette bars, flat bench, bulgarian sand bag.
IMG_20191231_213710.jpg

Powerblock "Pro Rexan" 5-85 lb adjustable dumbbells with stand.
IMG_20191231_214109.jpg

Old-ish York weight plates.
IMG_20191231_214223.jpg

Ivanko OMEZH "Revolver" plates with my favourite barbell, a Vulcan Absolute 2.0 power bar.
IMG_20191231_213555.jpg

In storage, I've got the rest of the rubber flooring, a power rack, battle rope, a push/pull sled and a pullup/dip station.

I lucked out pretty hard on the functional trainer (got it for free, just had to disassemble and move it myself). I happened to check Kijiji at just the right time, and saw that the seller had listed it less than 5 minutes ago. I called them and asked them to hold it for me until I could pick it up after work. Luckily, they agreed, and were true to their word even though they were getting cash offers after I had called.

7eregrine

The man, the myth, the legend
L
Land of Cleve
V
2016.5 CX5
I'll bite in the spirit of getting this lounge rolling.

I thought Unobtanium was a big meathead? How is he not here?

Started riding my bike this fall and when it the cold came, I joined our Rec Center which has an amazing fitness center. So I'm going 3 times a week just trying to fight off age and keep up with my kid. :D

sm1ke

Work In Progress..
Contributor
L
Canada
V
'18 CX-9 Signature
I'll bite in the spirit of getting this lounge rolling.

I thought Unobtanium was a big meathead? How is he not here?

Started riding my bike this fall and when it the cold came, I joined our Rec Center which has an amazing fitness center. So I'm going 3 times a week just trying to fight off age and keep up with my kid. :D
Lol, keeping up with my kid is part of the reason I exercise as well. I wasn't overweight by most standards, but I found myself grunting just to get off the couch, moaning and groaning to tie my shoes or put on socks, and so on. I knew I'd be miserable if I didn't start making some changes, and now life is just better overall.

I think the biggest thing people close to me noticed was not the muscle gain. It was the huge improvement in posture.

7eregrine

The man, the myth, the legend
L
Land of Cleve
V
2016.5 CX5
Same, actually. Buddy actually asked me, that I hadn't seen in awhile "WTF did you get taller?!?" LOL

sm1ke

Work In Progress..
Contributor
L
Canada
V
'18 CX-9 Signature
So quiet in here lol

Going to do a small block of circuit lifting to get myself back in shape and ready for more demanding stuff in the summer. 3 or 4 days a week, I will rotate between upper body and lower body circuit style workouts.

Upper
x10 Curl to overhead press (with EZ curl bar or DBs)
x10 Pullups (or chinups)
x15 Cable chest presses
x15 Seated row
Repeat 3 times total.

Lower
x5 deadlift (or squat)
x12 alternating split squats (or jump squats)
x12 back extensions on 45* bench

Latest posts