A little problem

MortMan

:
'10 Speed 3
Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong section...

I was driving down to Miami to pick a couple people up when my windshield wipers came on (both front and back). (huh) I flicked the switch on and off a few times, adjusted the autowiper sensitivity, and even stopped and turned off/turned on the car. The wipers just kept going. It's like the rain sensor went psycho on me, because when I sprayed windshield washer fluid on it the wipers sped up. About 10-15 miles later they just turned off.

Anybody have any ideas what may have caused this and if I should worry about it? It seemed like just a nuisance, but you never really know.

If I can't find the problem I'll just have to take it in to the dealer. (blarf)

Edit: FYI, I've had the car for 5 months and put 4800 miles on it.

Last edited:
Wouldn't the wipers have to be in the "auto" position to do that? The sensors only activate when the wipers are in auto. I had them in the off position, so the sensors shouldn't have even been activated.

Last edited:
MortMan said:
Wouldn't the wipers have to be in the "init" position to do that? The sensors only activate when the wipers are in init. I had them in the off position, so the sensors shouldn't have even been activated.
hmmm
i have no idea

sorry :(

no idea but if you do take it to the dealer come back and let us know what the deal was.
its wicked strange

If I take it to the dealer I'll let you know what was wrong.

A couple of my car savvy friends told me that it might be a scare tactic built into the car by Mazda or the dealer to get me to go in for a checkup (and an oil change while they're at it $$). Since I haven't been back to the dealer in the 4800 miles I've put on my car, this seems logical, but I doubt any car maker or dealership would put that much effort into scaring people to come in.

taking it to the dealer would be a waste of time. all they will do is drive it around the block to see if they can 'replicate' the problem. if not, they will say that they didnt find anything and send you on your way.

Taking it in would be a waste of time for just that problem, so I've gathered a couple other problems they could fix while it's there. A check engine light and the squeaky brakes problem mentioned in a TSB are going to be looked at as well. I just made an appointment for Monday.

BTW, thanks for everybody's input so far.

I took it in to Gunther Mazda today and they didn't find the problem with the wipers. However, they did fix the problem with the check engine light. It was just a leaking hose, so they replaced it. They also machined the rotors to get rid of the squeaking.

Update

I thought I would just update on this problem.

It has gotten much worse since it first happened. My windshield wipers randomly come on (front and back) with no reason to do so. The doors also unlock when this happens, and the lights refuse to turn off while the wipers are malfunctioning. I have discovered, however, that this problem mostly (99.9%) happens while the lights are turned on. The rest of the time is when the windshield wipers are already on--they refuse to turn off, lights won't turn off, etc.

At first it was just an inconvenience that I could live with, but now it has become a safety hazard. While driving the other day it started to rain. I turned on my windshield wipers and they were so worn and damaged from being on while the windshield was dry that they couldn't even clear half the water from the windshield. I had to pull over and wait for the rain to stop.

This problem has been occurring almost every day now, and I'm about to take my car in again for a second CEL. Unfortunately I can't leave the car with them for thourough inspection because I'm only 19 and can't get a rental car. Since this problem is intermittent I doubt they will find it.

My car is an '05 Mazda 3 5-door 2.3 SP23 with AT and 6000 miles.

Sounds like the problems I had when my PJB took a s***.

Long story short, Mazda refused to replace the part so I had to find the $1,200 part on my own.

wow...the only time i had mine randomly do that was when i was driving thru some heavy fog, i think the sensors picked up the moisture in the air....but thats crazy....does the US model have rain sensors on the rear window as well, the CDN model doesnt....

The rain sensors are only on the front, and those only activate the FRONT wipers if the wipers are set to auto. And I believe they sense water on the windshield, not in the air.

thats what i thought too...maybe the moisture was enough that it formed some condensation on the window and turned them on...i always leave them on auto...

Back