3rd gear problem

kdiggy

:
I have a 2013 with a manual tranny that has started popping out of third gear while driving. I located a service bulletin that it is a faulty transmission gear issue, however, I have rolled over to 65,000 miles before the problem started. Just wondered if anyone else had run into this issue, as the dealer basically said I was SOL since it was out of warranty and not a recall, but a service bulletin.
Thanks in advance

I have a 2013 with a manual tranny that has started popping out of third gear while driving. I located a service bulletin that it is a faulty transmission gear issue, however, I have rolled over to 65,000 miles before the problem started. Just wondered if anyone else had run into this issue, as the dealer basically said I was SOL since it was out of warranty and not a recall, but a service bulletin.
Thanks in advance
Synchronized gear worn out on the third gear? Not much you can do without the powertrain warranty but at least you can try to contact Customer Experience Center, Mazda North American Operations seeking for some help. Do mention the TSB you found when you call. If no help from MNAO you can try to find a used manual transmission nationwide, as a used 6-speed manual transmission could be hard to find.

Dealer said no, call mnao, if they don't work somethingto your liking you can call the bbb for arbitration ( refer to your warranty pamphlet for details)

Last edited:
Synchronized gear worn out on the third gear? Not much you can do without the powertrain warranty but at least you can try to contact Customer Experience Center, Mazda North American Operations seeking for some help. Do mention the TSB you found when you call. If no help from MNAO you can try to find a used manual transmission nationwide, as a used 6-speed manual transmission could be hard to find.

Thanks, That's kind of what I thought

Thanks, That's kind of what I thought
And keep us posted.

If you end up needing a used transmission, verify the manufacture date and serial number making sure it's not in the problem list stated in the TSB.

TSB No. 0500814

Vehicles affected by service bulletin:
* 2012 Mazda3
* 2013 Mazda3
* 2014 Mazda3 (VINs lower than JM1BM*****228314)
* 2015 Mazda3 (VINs lower than JM1BM*****228314)
* 2013 Mazda CX-5 (VINs lower than JM3KE****517027)
* 2014 Mazda CX-5 (VINs lower than JM3KE****517027)
* 2015 Mazda CX-5 (VINs lower than JM3KE****517027)
* 2014 Mazda6 (VINs lower than JM1GJ****203425)
* 2015 Mazda6 (VINs lower than JM1GJ****203425)

TSB No. 0500814

Vehicles affected by service bulletin:
* 2012 Mazda3
* 2013 Mazda3
* 2014 Mazda3 (VINs lower than JM1BM*****228314)
* 2015 Mazda3 (VINs lower than JM1BM*****228314)
* 2013 Mazda CX-5 (VINs lower than JM3KE****517027)
* 2014 Mazda CX-5 (VINs lower than JM3KE****517027)
* 2015 Mazda CX-5 (VINs lower than JM3KE****517027)
* 2014 Mazda6 (VINs lower than JM1GJ****203425)
* 2015 Mazda6 (VINs lower than JM1GJ****203425)
So looks like you may have to find a used 6-speed manual from a 2016 CX-5 to avoid this potential problem happening again as you don't know if any of this transmission from 2013~2015 CX-5 has been serviced based on the TSB.

And it's not just the synchronizer on the 3rd gear, but clutch hub assemblies are also involved. I was surprised that MNAO would let Mazda dealer disassemble the transmission doing the repair, but not just swap a refurbished one. Hope many 2013~2015 CX-5 owners with 6-speed manual are aware of this TSB and make sure to bring the CX-5 to their dealer for this matter before it's too late without 60-month / 60,000-mile powertrain warranty.

TSB No. 0500814 said:
2012-2015 Mazda3, Mazda6 and Mazda CX-5 Transmission Issues

The problem:
Affected vehicles have a six-speed manual transmission that may be hard to shift into 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th gears. In addition, the shifter may sometimes jump out of 3rd gear over bumps in the road. Faulty clutch hub assemblies and a possibly bad 3rd gear are being blamed.

Corrective action:
Dealers will remove and disassemble the transmission to replace 3rd gear and the affected clutch hub assemblies, as needed.

So, do you know, if I don't have it serviced or replaced with rebuilt, will it only effect the 3rd gear or will the other gears eventually go bad? And will the 3rd gear eventually burn out the clutch?
Thanks

Kdiggy, what did you end up doing with the transmission? I just recently came across this TSB. Though I don't have 3rd gear issues, my 6th gear occasionally pops out. All other shifting is very smooth. It does appear that my 2015 CX-5 is affected since the VIN is lower than JM3KE****517027 as shown on the TSB. 6th gear popping out occasionally is much easier to live with than 3rd! I think I will just live with it; it is more of an annoyance than anything (and startles me whenever it happens while driving 80 MPH). I don't think it is causing much, if any, damage?

Kdiggy, what did you end up doing with the transmission? I just recently came across this TSB. Though I don't have 3rd gear issues, my 6th gear occasionally pops out. All other shifting is very smooth. It does appear that my 2015 CX-5 is affected since the VIN is lower than JM3KE****517027 as shown on the TSB. 6th gear popping out occasionally is much easier to live with than 3rd! I think I will just live with it; it is more of an annoyance than anything (and startles me whenever it happens while driving 80 MPH). I don't think it is causing much, if any, damage?
No, it shouldn’t be causing any other damages, but it could be getting worse, popping out more frequently from the gear. May be you can try to change the gear lubricant with correct type and viscosity which may help.

What does the TSB say about the fix?

Back