3M tinted film

Guys, how to check if my car is tinted? My dealer said my car is tinted with 3M film. Checked by lowering down all 4 door windows to confirm, and i cant see any sort of layers.

Exactly what you did usually, lower rear side glass and it should be visible. There is a small gap they leave at the end/top when they install the tint.

By the way, the latest CX-5s have privacy glass on rears so it's already darkened glass from the factory. Maybe they never installed any tint but then why would they lie? Did you pay for a tint addon or they just said there is tint..?

Mine is 2020 takami nz (signature). Got myself a duraseal protection and when ask about the windows, they said it has been applied with 3M film. Hmm i guess i should ring them tomorrow to confirm.

It can be tough to confirm sometimes. There is one tint applicator local to me who offers the ability to tint right to the edge so it looks just like privacy glass. I wish I had paid extra for that instead of what I have now, which is the typical small gap near the edge.

Call up the dealer and see if they can provide an invoice. If not, I believe a tint shop should be able to determine if tint has already been applied or not.

Guys, how to check if my car is tinted? My dealer said my car is tinted with 3M film. Checked by lowering down all 4 door windows to confirm, and i cant see any sort of layers.
Could just be another mis-informed/underecucated salesman, or just a salesman being a salesman "hey, it includes window tinting", not understanding that factory tinted windows may not block UV rays or keep the car cooler during the summer months.

Rather than start a new thread, I'll piggy-back on this. Does anyone know if the factory tint does indeed reduce UV and summer heat?

And even further .. did you know you can have tint that is nearly clear AND provides UV protection?

@hal2 yes UV protection per this post

factory seems to be 70% visible light

want to check if you have tint? of course there is an app for that

want to go further?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

and then the next obvious question will be "well how dark can I go legally?"

Sorry Vermont, New Hampshire, New Jersey -- no tint is legal for you.

Last edited:
And even further .. did you know you can have tint that is nearly clear AND provides UV protection?

(y) (y) I've got nearly clear UV-blocking tint on my windshield. I think it's 80 or 85%. Made a noticeable difference in ambient heat build up while the car sits outside all day.

(y) (y) I've got nearly clear UV-blocking tint on my windshield. I think it's 80 or 85%. Made a noticeable difference in ambient heat build up while the car sits outside all day.
Same here. Recently got the llumar air 80 installed on the windshield.

Had tint on my windshield and made a difference but had to get it replaced (cracked). Did not want to pay for tinting windshield each time again. I got remote start and tinted my sunroof. Those make a difference as well.

Had tint on my windshield and made a difference but had to get it replaced (cracked). Did not want to pay for tinting windshield each time again. I got remote start and tinted my sunroof. Those make a difference as well.
I wonder what they charge for installation?

Maybe they can apply the tint before they install the new windshield?

Some of the factory glass does block UV.
It seems like different manufacturers use different types of glass. Kind of like they use different types/brands of tires.

The advantages of more advanced, tinted and various types of laminated glass are so great I don't understand why they aren't used on all vehicles. Something to do with regulations?

I wonder what they charge for installation?

Maybe they can apply the tint before they install the new windshield?

Some of the factory glass does block UV.
It seems like different manufacturers use different types of glass. Kind of like they use different types/brands of tires.

The advantages of more advanced, tinted and various types of laminated glass are so great I don't understand why they aren't used on all vehicles. Something to do with regulations?
The place that did my tint is in a plaza.....their neighbor is who installed my replacement windshield #1. Yes they offered a $50 discount is they installed while windshield was outside of car but I declined.

Tint on windshield makes a noticeable difference vs stock windshield. Just too many rocks in my commute to ever get it again.

I was able to make up a lot of that with installing remote start to cool the cabin and tinted sunroof minimized sensation of cooler air hitting my body yet my head was warm.

Latest posts

Back