215/65r16 on Mazda5?

Looking to put a little more rubber between me and the road. Originally looking at 205/60r16, but found a deal on some 215/65r16s. I can’t find any info regarding them being too tall or not. Seeing if anyone’s done it before or if it’s not advised as the 8.4% diameter increase from stock would somehow interfere with the electronic safeties and such.

:
South Carolina
:
12 MZ5 13 CX-5
That's a much taller tire than stock. Your speedometer will be off by a good little bit.

Use this applet to compare tires sizes.

1618919268613.png

Yeah I was checking tire comparison. Compared to stock they’ll have 1.5” in diameter larger. Compared to the 1” for 205/60r16. I just don’t know about rubbing or if it’ll cause issues with abs or esc or tcs etc.

:
2013 Mazda 5 GS
Yeah I was checking tire comparison. Compared to stock they’ll have 1.5” in diameter larger. Compared to the 1” for 205/60r16. I just don’t know about rubbing or if it’ll cause issues with abs or esc or tcs etc.
Looking to put a little more rubber between me and the road. Originally looking at 205/60r16, but found a deal on some 215/65r16s. I can’t find any info regarding them being too tall or not. Seeing if anyone’s done it before or if it’s not advised as the 8.4% diameter increase from stock would somehow interfere with the electronic safeties and such.
Can confirm 215/65r16 will fit on the Mazda5 — tires will just clear the spring perches in the front. Our 5 has a slight lift all around. I get minor rubbing at full lock in the front and I only get a bit of rubbing in the rear over bumps if the van is loaded — stiffer springs should solve that issue.

Doesn't handle like a car anymore, but I'm not a spirited drive by any means. The thicker sidewalls provide more road comfort over rough roads.

No issues with ABS or TCS, but speedometer is off — I just use Waze to determine correct speed until I can get the van calibrated.

Attachments

• IMG_7193.jpg
    IMG_7193.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 27
Yeah, I used Tema4x4 strut spacers up front (I believe they're 30mm). In the rear, I swapped the stock springs out with CX7 springs — the 5 and CX7 share the same rear suspension components, but CX7 springs are taller.
Does that mean for the rear you’d use the rear struts of the cx7?

:
2013 Mazda 5 GS
Does that mean for the rear you’d use the rear struts of the cx7?
No, rear shocks are still Mazda5 parts. I installed KYB Gas-a-Just shocks about 2 years ago — huge improvement over stock, but could still use an upgrade. Front struts are way overdue for replacement, so I'll be looking into a front/rear set at some point and just get everything done at once.

I've also done some research on springs via Moog's web site (they give you all the specs/dimensions of springs) and found that early-2000 Toyota Tacoma front springs are similar diameter to the 5's rears but are taller and rated for heavier loads — this may give me the stiffness I need to prevent rubbing in the rear. I'm also trying to find a taller spring that could fit in the front.

I ran 215/60-15s from a CX3 this past winter with no clearance issues whatsoever on stock suspension. I just installed a set of H&R sport springs and Speed 3 Koni Yellows with 225/40-18s and even with the lower ride height it looks like I’ll still be good next winter.

:
2013 Mazda 5 GS
I ran 215/60-15s from a CX3 this past winter with no clearance issues whatsoever on stock suspension. I just installed a set of H&R sport springs and Speed 3 Koni Yellows with 225/40-18s and even with the lower ride height it looks like I’ll still be good next winter.
Are you driving a Mazda5?

:
2013 Mazda 5 GS
Darn, my bad. 16s.
Got my COVID shot yesterday so I’m a little out of it today. 🤒
:LOL: Just wanted to be sure I wasn't going crazy. I tried putting my 15" winters on when we bought our 5. Was so disappointed they didn't fit.

...but at the same time, I enjoy shopping around for new tires. So the disappointment didn't last.

Latest posts