215/55/17 tires - intermittent noise from the rear

bojaman

I got some new 17" rims with Winter Tires (215/55/17) to replace old 215/45/18 rims and tires on my 2007 MS 6. These 17" rims came from 2006 Ford Mustang GT. The ride is much more comfy due to that I feel less bumps on the road.

However I noticed that sometimes when I go over some bigger bumps on the road or if I sometimes make the turn onto the curb, there would be a bit of metal grinding noise coming from the rear (either from the left or right side).

I am debating whether to return back my old 18" tires, and if I should just buy 18" winter tires. This metal girding sound happens intermittently (ie. it's not constant - for example tonight I drove about more than 150kms, have heard it only 3-4 times), thus I am not worried very much, but I am concerned if this is good/safe in the long run.

What are you thoughts guys?

Would 5mm spacers at the rear remove this issue?

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

I think I figured out what might be causing the noise.

I have checked the tire and observed some scuffed marks on internal rear skirts, which means that sometimes when I go over bumps my tire might be rubbing against internal rear skirt. it's not alarming but I am not sure what to do about this , and if there might be some ways to avoid it.

Cheers

Back