2021 vs 2020 CX-5 Signature?

I would say no, even for $3k. But that's just me.
Well, having the use of a vehicle at this price point for 15 months at a cost of $3,000 is a pretty good deal. But you also have to factor in the sales tax and dealer fees. That's money you'd never get back when eventually trading the new one so it should be factored into the cost of ownership of the old one. In NY and IL where I've lived only the $3,000 spread between the trade and the new would be taxed. If that's universal in taxing states, while some have no sales tax at all, it would still look pretty good for a US owner.

Generally speaking, I'd agree with you. I buy new (or nearly new in the case of my CX-5 certified service loaner) and hold cars for 10 years or more. 150,000 miles is my limit, not tempting fate. When you get to year four the depreciation curve flattens sharply and the average annual cost of ownership sharply declines. That's assuming you avoid major repairs like a new trans or engine. Even if you have one of those repairs on an older car you'd recoup the money in a year or two relative to the first and second year depreciation on a new one.

That's basic car math. It shouldn't be a revelation to anybody here.

And I understand, there's no wrong answer it's a personal choice. But I also look at it this way, people asked the question, "if I could buy a new 2020 for $3,000-$4,009 less than a new 2021, which should I get?" Kind of a similar but different way to look at the same sing period
$4,000 for 15 months of ownership of the current one still isn't too bad if you can get him there but that too is doubtful. You mentioned wanting a $1,700 PPF treatment. Should I assume you're not doing that at the dealer? If that was a dealer add-on there's a lot of profit in that and if you brought it up you might get the trade-to-new spread down.

There’s news from Asia that the 3rd-gen CX-5, supposedly will be shown in LA Auto Show this winter, will have SkyActiv-G 3.0L I-6, or even 282 hp / 340 Nm (251 ft-lb) SkyActiv-X 3.0L I-6 available for 2022 CX-5. The news also says that the SkyActiv-X 3.0L will be on a RWD or AWD platform and call it CX-50.

If I were you I’d wait and see what Mazda North American Operations will offer to US customers in 2022.

View attachment 301168
I'd need to see that white one in profile. We've seen a few renderings and purported actual vehicles including a rendering of a silly jellybean, a camo that looked like the current CX-5, and one interesting one that did have the coup-ish styling Mazda says is coming.

That coup-ish one, red I think, in semi-profile appeared to have a noticeably longer hood and a little more down-sloping rear roof line than the CX-5. The longer engine compartment would make sense if they needed the room for the longitudinal straight 6. Personally, I thought it looked terrific. This white one might be same but I'd like to see it turned 45 degrees to get a good look at the profile. However in this comparison, looking at the rear windows, the added length looks to be added mostly to the butt end.

In the end, how the styling meets the eye requires a personal walkaround.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, having the use of a vehicle at this price point for 15 months at a cost of $3,000 is a pretty good deal. But you also have to factor in the sales tax and dealer fees. That's money you'd never get back when eventually trading the new one so it should be factored into the cost of ownership of the old one. In NY and IL where I've lived only the $3,000 spread between the trade and the new would be taxed.
Yes, it would only be taxed on the different. And my target number of $3,000 to $4,000, would include dealer fees, however not license which goes to the state and would be good on either car so that's not a consideration. If I get charged new license fees than I get a refund on the unused portion of my current one.. no, the dealer would not be installing my ppf. The numbers work the same either way, but before tax and license I actually paid 33000 for my current car. But without regard to what I paid, it's still the net difference between that and my new car that is the only consideration anyway. That's why I use the example, would you pay 3 to $4,000 more for a 2021 vs A 2020

Actually, depreciation is a good point. In year five and six part of that three or four thousand dollars will be getting back a higher value, though mostly a similar car, it's still a model year newer

Thank you all for your input on this.

Last edited:
Even if they could swap me out for a net of $3,000, there wasn't enough on the new car to make me pull the trigger. Especially considering I'd need to add another $2,000 which would include...

Install a remote ( already have one on my car) - I want it on the key fob, not app
Install full front PPF (again, already on my car)

So we're now at a net of $5,000

oh, and I didn't even mention, my 2020 only has 3,300 miles on it. Thank you all for indulging me in this thread. -

I will say that the wife's 2021 CX-30's Premium infotainment system is far superior to the one in my 2020 GT. Faster and more sophisticated in all regards. However it no longer seems to have the Speed / Red Light camera warnings which is a bummer.

I'm assuming the new 2021 CX-5's are the same but I could be wrong on that one.

I had a similar situation. 2018 GTR with premium package, low mileage. I traded it in for a 2021 Signature. I could not have been happier. The turbo is fantastic. The entertainment system is a dramatic improvement. Slightly less MPG likely due to the turbo. I was able to make a fantastic deal as the trade in value was quite high. Good luck.

I had a similar situation. 2018 GTR with premium package, low mileage. I traded it in for a 2021 Signature. I could not have been happier. The turbo is fantastic. The entertainment system is a dramatic improvement. Slightly less MPG likely due to the turbo. I was able to make a fantastic deal as the trade in value was quite high. Good luck.
2018 CX-5 GTR? Doesn’t exist ⋯ :unsure:

Even if they could swap me out for a net of $3,000, there wasn't enough on the new car to make me pull the trigger. Especially considering I'd need to add another $2,000 which would include...

Install a remote ( already have one on my car) - I want it on the key fob, not app
Install full front PPF (again, already on my car)

So we're now at a net of $5,000.

oh, and I didn't even mention, my 2020 only has 3,300 miles on it. Thank you all for indulging me in this thread. -
A cost-benefit analysis does have the affect of putting perspective on the urge to splurge on the new-new thing. Getting to a $5,000 target spread puts a different paint job on the deal.

Anyway, the new/used markets are in an unvirtuous circle. While newer low mileage cars will yield $1,000s more in trade that just 6 months ago that sharply reduces the dealer's ability to deal on the new ones. As noted earlier, a $3,000 spread makes the dealer no money or possibly results in a loss when you consider overhead, salaries and commissions even if they put your trade out as manufacturer certified.

While making that deal was implausible, It didn't hurt to try, the only cost being a little time, had that $5,000 been your bottom line.

Personally, I have sufficient net worth to afford much more expensive cars by most people's standards. I've always been generally frugal and have little inclination to impress anybody with my stuff. Now, at a certain age, my thinking turns to the fact that every $10,000 not spent now buys one more month in assisted living for myself or my wife at some future point. We're in good health now but one never knows.

Anyway, "The Millionaire Next Door" is a good read for anybody interested in sensible, if not frugal, spending and saving habits.

Personally, I have sufficient net worth to afford much more expensive cars by most people's standards. I've always been generally frugal and have little inclination to impress anybody with my stuff. Now, at a certain age, my thinking turns to the fact that every $10,000 not spent now buys one more month in assisted living for myself or my wife at some future point. We're in good health now but one never knows.
HardRightEdg- You and I are about in the same boat. While I also could afford to drive better cars over the years, I chose to buy good used cars and keep them a long time to save money. I’ve only had 2 new cars in my 53 yrs of driving - a 1972 Vega GT ($2600) and now a 2021 Mazda CX-5 GT w/premium package ($30,380). My wife never owned a new car either until the CX-5. We’ve chosen instead to fund our IRAs, 401Ks, kids‘ college, pay off our mortgage early, and save for a rainy day fund. This has required a little sacrifice, but we’ve managed to maintain a standard of living about equal to our peers. Our salaries were just average and we weren’t given anything by anyone. Avoiding the purchase of new cars has freed up $$$$ to do these other things that are now paying dividends.

But to each his own. I would not personally trade in a practically new 2020 CX-5 for a 2021 CX-5, but I’m sure I do a lot of stuff the original poster would consider crazy. We each have to live our lives as we deem best for us personally.

Last edited:
HardRightEdg- You and I are about in the same boat. While I also could afford to drive better cars over the years, I chose to buy good used cars and keep them a long time to save money. I’ve only had 2 new cars in my 53 yrs of driving - a 1972 Vega GT ($2600) and now a 2021 Mazda CX-5 GT w/premium package ($30,380). My wife never owned a new car either until the CX-5. We’ve chosen instead to fund our IRAs, 401Ks, kids‘ college, pay off our mortgage early, and save for a rainy day fund. This has required a little sacrifice, but we’ve managed to maintain a standard of living about equal to our peers. Our salaries were just average and we weren’t given anything by anyone. Avoiding the purchase of new cars has freed up $$$$ to do these other things that are now paying dividends.

But to each his own. I would not personally trade in a practically new 2020 CX-5 for a 2021 CX-5, but I’m sure I do a lot of stuff the original poster would consider crazy. We each have to live our lives as we deem best for us personally.utr
But is it a sacrifice, really? I see it as having developed sound habits with their own rewards. But as you say, to each his own with their own satisfactions and their own regrets.

Concessions have been made to the wife over the years who started out less sensibly minded, but I've steered her more my way than the other way around.

But is it a sacrifice, really? I see it as having developed sound habits with their own rewards. But as you say, to each his own with their own satisfactions and their own regrets.

Concessions have been made to the wife over the years who started out less sensibly minded, but I've steered her more my way than the other way around.
HardRightEdg - “Concess have been made to the wife…”. You are a wise man!

There’s news from Asia that the 3rd-gen CX-5, supposedly will be shown in LA Auto Show this winter, will have SkyActiv-G 3.0L I-6, or even 282 hp / 340 Nm (251 ft-lb) SkyActiv-X 3.0L I-6 available for 2022 CX-5. The news also says that the SkyActiv-X 3.0L will be on a RWD or AWD platform and call it CX-50.

If I were you I’d wait and see what Mazda North American Operations will offer to US customers in 2022.

View attachment 301168
View attachment 301169

I thought the Mazda AT6 is highly regarded, although many makes now use 8, 9 speed transmissions.

I wonder if this will happen?
"Another big upgrade is the “retirement” of the six-speed automatic, which was deemed the only weak link in recent Mazda models when it comes to performance. Instead, the new Mazda CX-5 will feature a new eight-speed torque-converter automatic, as will every other model based on the rear-wheel-drive platform."

"Another big upgrade is the “retirement” of the six-speed automatic, which was deemed the only weak link in recent Mazda models when it comes to performance.”

I consider the 6 speed transmixer to be a plus, not a negative. I hope Mazda sticks with it. It’s smooth shifting, doesn’t hunt for gears, may be more reliable than the 8-10 speed transmixer, and would likely be cheaper to repair/replace should the need arise. I would not trade strengths of the 6 speed AT for a very modest gain in MPG that might be realized by an 8-10 speed AT. But that’s just me.

I thought the Mazda AT6 is highly regarded, although many makes now use 8, 9 speed transmissions.

I wonder if this will happen?
"Another big upgrade is the “retirement” of the six-speed automatic, which was deemed the only weak link in recent Mazda models when it comes to performance. Instead, the new Mazda CX-5 will feature a new eight-speed torque-converter automatic, as will every other model based on the rear-wheel-drive platform."

By the by, that assumes the CX-50 will replace the CX-5. I view that with a great deal of skepticism, at least in the US. The current CX-5 is their bread and butter, accounting for more than half of sales with a disproportionate number in the lower and mid trims. There is an ownership base in these moderately priced vehicles and in other moderately priced models. Makers rely on brand loyalty for future sales.

You can't flip a switch and say now you're an upscale brand. They just came out with the CX-30 where a disproportionate amount of sales volume is in sub-turbo trims. There is no indication they are reaching for that switch. They even avoid calling CX-50 a luxury vehicle.
What's the language they use for CX-50? "Premium" or something like that? This should be more like if Toyota took on a version of the IS 300 and Lexus didn't exist.

And I understand, there's no wrong answer it's a personal choice. But I also look at it this way, people asked the question, "if I could buy a new 2020 for $3,000-$4,009 less than a new 2021, which should I get?" Kind of a similar but different way to look at the same sing period
Exactly how I'm looking at it, mot more so that the 2021's add'l features aren't worth it for me

Back