2021 CX-9 USB Power Situation

:
Ft Worth
:
2021 CX9 Signature
After attempting my various USB powered LEDs (for additional ambient light) and the teenagers needing device power in various situations...I have discovered the following in my 2021 CX-9 Signature.

All USBs have power when the car is on. (Of course).

With the car off:
- 1st row USBs stay powered for 1 min 22 seconds
- 2nd row USBs seem to stay powered for 5+ minutes, and never turn off. Need to investigate further.
- 3rd row USBs have no power. These shut off immediately with car shutdown.

After attempting my various USB powered LEDs (for additional ambient light) and the teenagers needing device power in various situations...I have discovered the following in my 2021 CX-9 Signature.

All USBs have power when the car is on. (Of course).

With the car off:
- 1st row USBs stay powered for 1 min 22 seconds
- 2nd row USBs seem to stay powered for 5+ minutes, and never turn off. Need to investigate further.
- 3rd row USBs have no power. These shut off immediately with car shutdown.
@Buster1, We've only had our '21 GT for a few days and have no experience with its USBs, yet. I have been reading the owner's manual, yikes 400 pages, and here is what I found:

Page 5-59: "The USB power outlets can be used regardless whether the ignition is switched to ACC or ON." Dosen't mention what happens if the ignition is off, but would lead you to believe that you can't.

Later on, on Page 5-61 in the Note section: "To prevent discharging the battery, do not use the USB power outlets for long periods with the engine off or idling." This statement leads you believe that the USBs can be used with the engine off. I'm guessing Mazda probably meant to say "engine is off but in ACC ..." But I only speculate here.

Poppy D

Back