2021 CX-9 GT - No nav SD card included?

Just picked up a 2021 GT in northern California and my sales lady said the SD card only comes with Signature trim and would be $400 extra if I wanted. I checked online and on my window sticker and it only says "Mazda Navigation" as included feature on window sticker and my owners manual says "SD card included in some models only".

I plan to call mazda USA tomorrow but thought I'd get some opinions on this. Thanks!

Honestly, the existing nav system is useless. If you have the option to use CarPlay/AA I would do that. The other option is to buy the card on eBay. I did that a few years ago for my Mazda 3 and worked fine.

Upvote 0
If you can't get the card thrown in by the dealer, try eBay as @dougal suggested. There is a related thread in the CX-5 subforum that goes over the various card models - I think they're the same cards used for the CX-9 but don't quote me on that.

Upvote 0
Thanks all! Sales lady did mention after saying GT doesn't include SD card that she prefers Android auto/apple carplay much more over stock navi.

Funny on all our other cars with navi, I still end up using my phones navigation but I would like a backup system just in case. I found that other threads about buying a card in ebay and will go that route.

I'm just a little shocked the GT trim doesn't come with the SD card. I found a few other threads where some people's GT back in 2018-2019 came with the card so I was thinking they were withholding it to try and get more money from me. Probably not the case tho. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Upvote 0
Do you use Google Maps? If so, you can actually download "offline maps" so that you can still use GPS navigation even without a cellular data connection. I've done this in Hawaii and Las Vegas to avoid roaming data charges on my phone and carrying my wife's GPS unit in the luggage, and it works very well. In fact, that's probably how Mazda's navigation system works, lol.

Upvote 0
Do you use Google Maps? If so, you can actually download "offline maps" so that you can still use GPS navigation even without a cellular data connection. I've done this in Hawaii and Las Vegas to avoid roaming data charges on my phone and carrying my wife's GPS unit in the luggage, and it works very well. In fact, that's probably how Mazda's navigation system works, lol.

Lol, oh this is great!I I do use google maps and will do this actually, had no idea I could download offline maps. Appreciate that tip sm1ke!

Upvote 0
My 2019 CX-9 GT came with the nav SD card. I actually like to use onboard navigation rather than screw around plugging my phone in and using Android Auto. That said, sometimes even the updated nav system database doesn't have what I'm looking for and I revert to Google Maps via AA to get where I want to go.

I just looked at my window sticker and it shows "Mazda Navigation" as standard equipment; I find it hard to believe they would drop that feature two years later. It could be your sales rep is mistaken (wouldn't be the first time that happened). Good luck.

Upvote 0
My 2019 CX-9 GT came with the nav SD card. I actually like to use onboard navigation rather than screw around plugging my phone in and using Android Auto. That said, sometimes even the updated nav system database doesn't have what I'm looking for and I revert to Google Maps via AA to get where I want to go.

I just looked at my window sticker and it shows "Mazda Navigation" as standard equipment; I find it hard to believe they would drop that feature two years later. It could be your sales rep is mistaken (wouldn't be the first time that happened). Good luck.
Thanks for this info. I too have a hard time believing this CX9 GT doesn't include one. I am going to reach out again to someone else at the dealership to see if in fact it was suppose to come with one.

Upvote 0
Just picked up a 2021 GT in northern California and my sales lady said the SD card only comes with Signature trim and would be $400 extra if I wanted. I checked online and on my window sticker and it only says "Mazda Navigation" as included feature on window sticker and my owners manual says "SD card included in some models only".

I plan to call mazda USA tomorrow but thought I'd get some opinions on this. Thanks!
Here in Cda the 2021 CX-9 GT includes the Nav...see screenshot of the spec sheet

Attachments

• EA542D1F-5456-4A93-B575-2B027937D244.jpeg
    EA542D1F-5456-4A93-B575-2B027937D244.jpeg
    149.5 KB · Views: 272
Upvote 0
Here in Cda the 2021 CX-9 GT includes the Nav...see screenshot of the spec sheet
Actually, after doing a little bit of digging up, 2021 GTs in USA includes the Nav...screenshot of their press kit from Mazda USA. It is likely the dealer forgot to insert the SD card in the slot during PDI. I would go after that for sure with dealer as it’s almost a $500 cost that’s supposed to be included

Attachments

• 722B05A5-E5C3-443B-948E-8612C1219DFD.jpeg
    722B05A5-E5C3-443B-948E-8612C1219DFD.jpeg
    157.8 KB · Views: 218
Upvote 0
Actually, after doing a little bit of digging up, 2021 GTs in USA includes the Nav...screenshot of their press kit from Mazda USA. It is likely the dealer forgot to insert the SD card in the slot during PDI. I would go after that for sure with dealer as it’s almost a $500 cost that’s supposed to be included
Thank you. I will show this to the dealer Monday when I go to get my delivery detail done. I also found something interesting on the extra key they gave me. On the stock sticker tag they put on their keys, the tag has an "SD" in highlighted yellow on the bottom. Could be initials or possibly to indicate it comes with SD card? Hmmm

Upvote 0

Very interesting photo, I believe I have that paper in the glove box I need to go out and check. I thought they gave only 3 free years of sirus traffic but that shows 5 which would be awesome.

I was a little taken back it didn't come with an SD card so I called the sales lady from my local in town Mazda and she said only the 2021 Signatures come with the SD cards, so maybe my purchasing dealer was truthful but I still think it should have come with one lol.

I'll report back come Monday.

Upvote 0
I did end up buying an ebay 2021 SD card, worked great and was able to update it via Mazda Update Toolbox and shows 3 free years of map updates. Still, would been nice to not spend $70 on it. 😄

Upvote 0
I did end up buying an ebay 2021 SD card, worked great and was able to update it via Mazda Update Toolbox and shows 3 free years of map updates. Still, would been nice to not spend $70 on it. 😄
You can still claim the SD card with them as that should’ve come standard with your purchase. Since you already bought via eBay then you can ask them to maybe exchange the cost of the SD card for a different accessory (worth $400-500?)...

Upvote 0
If your spec sheet says navigation system is included in your model, then it comes with it. My dealer almost forgot mine as well on my 2018 GT. It is often forgotten and overlooked. I am in Canada but i just checked the Mazda usa cx-9 brochure and it says Navigation system is included on the 2021 GT. In my opinion, they owe you the SD card with the navigation system.

The people that say only the signature comes with SD cards are speaking out of turn. I don’t see anything on the signature model that says navigation systems. The signature is pretty much a GT with a nicer interior and aesthetic. There aren’t really any “functional” additions to the signature trim. (except for mandatory AWD in the US, in Canada AWD is standard on lower trims).

Source for USA: https://www.mazdausa.com/siteassets/pdf/brochures/2021/cx-9/2021-cx-9_ebrochure.pdf

Upvote 0
So funnily enough, I read this post and realized that my new 21 GT also did not have the Nav system. Went digging in the glove box to check window sticker, and what do I find? The SD card! Was a little miffed that it was missed by dealer for delivery, but they sort of shrugged it off.

While it is nice to have the directions in the heads up display, the nav is kind of a pain to use so I mostly use CarPlay, fwiw.

Anyway! Thank you forum for helping me discover that I had it!

Upvote 0
So funnily enough, I read this post and realized that my new 21 GT also did not have the Nav system. Went digging in the glove box to check window sticker, and what do I find? The SD card! Was a little miffed that it was missed by dealer for delivery, but they sort of shrugged it off.

While it is nice to have the directions in the heads up display, the nav is kind of a pain to use so I mostly use CarPlay, fwiw.

Anyway! Thank you forum for helping me discover that I had it!
I like the android auto, waze, google maps and apple carplay maps as well and will probably use them the most.

Upvote 0
Went digging in the glove box to check window sticker, and what do I find? The SD card! Was a little miffed that it was missed by dealer for delivery, but they sort of shrugged it off.
What a surprise....not. Lots of stuff gets glossed over during PDI, and it's usually done by a junior tech. If they can skip a step, they will.

Biggest omission is checking tire pressures. We've been hearing for years on this forum about tires still at 50+ lbs pressure when delivered to the customer. I think mostly they just look at stuff, and if it looks OK, they check it off the list and move on.

If they were lazy enough to forget to install the NAV card, I'd suggest checking your tire pressures.

Upvote 0
Back