2021 CX-5 Undercarriage Noise Insulation Reinforcement?

I've managed to rip off the noise insulation now twice.

Anybody figure out a way to brace the insulation at the connect points? Looks like it gets pulled at the drain vent by snow / heavy rain drainage / puddles and then that rips at the connect point hole before breaking away.

I see another thread that this was changed from a similar plastic piece during the 2017 refresh for road noise reduction. Anybody know if it would be possible to layer the 2016 plastic (for durability) over the 2017 fiber (for noise reduction)?

Open to suggestions, thanks!

If you could post a photo of the area you're describing, that would probably help to get more responses. I'm trying to envision the area you're talking about but it's still unclear to me.

No worries

Referring to this underbody insulation that spans the length of the car from (generally) axle to axle to help with road noise vs the plastic equivalent that was in the Gen1

The drain holes in the front seem to catch snow drifts and large water puddles, pulling on the connection points

Attachments

• IMG_2194.jpeg
    IMG_2194.jpeg
    95.6 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_2196.jpeg
    IMG_2196.jpeg
    151.6 KB · Views: 146
I don't know if layering the plastic over the fiber would work. A cheap and easy alternative to brace the panels/make them more secure is to drill holes into the panels, then ziptie the panels together. I'm thinking that any pulling force would then be spread out across the screws and the zip ties. No idea if this would actually work though..

Something like this (excuse the crude drawing lol)

IMG_2196.jpeg

I admittedly considered that, but was concerned about stress at the new holes not being able to withstand the tension -- unless It was a consistent braid across the seam

It is that drain hole in the pic that seems to be catching TBH -- and then when it does, it pulls on the connection point at the middle black screw (and one at the bottom not shown). To that end, I'm also considering adding washer with teeth at both to reinforce the stress points -- as well making that drain hole bigger with a half circle (from the hole back to the right in the pic), so the water/snow doesnt havent as much lip to grab on the edge.

Open to other suggestions though

Maybe tape the seam with something like Gorilla tape. I don't know how well it would stick to that type material.

Circling around on this one in case it's helpful

The Undercarriage noise insulation overlaps between the front and the rear pieces -- with the factory install using rear piece over the front

I *think* this is why it's catching -- with kind of a suicide door effect where it bends down and then gradually pulls back

So I've overlapped them the other direction with the front over the rear edge so there's no ability to catch, and put extra washers at the connection points to hold them down more securely.

Back