2021 CX-5 models arriving

I am speculating this year they would have lots of 2019 leftovers in some markets, states. So may be just may be there would be some decent discounts coming up in next few months.
But we'll see how it goes.
I also looked at the videos, the 2021 does not have anything new to flash over with except may be the infotainment and the rear camera, It also still comes with the cylinder deactivation gimmick (the non turbo ones)

removing the rear usb, not providing nav on most models even the GT, thin paint, surface rust, thin windshields, cheap cameras, the ancient infotainment ec. and probably more.
All cost cutting. Not good to me. makes you wonder what else they cost cut on the engine parts or other elements :) to squeeze profit.
you mean 20 leftovers

Yeah I would love to see it up close. I may order one for my CX5 once they become available from Mazda.

here you go.... in garage
image.jpg

How does its Turbo engine sound, vs the original? Would be amazing if someone could compare turbo and non-turbo CX5s in terms of noise

Gonna purchase a 2021 soon, am currently researching dealer pricing on GT configurations that suit my needs, a have a date with my salesman on Monday.......BUT .......wondering if I should hold out a few weeks for the Carbon Editions to arrive., wish I could see one in person. The availability of the Turbo in a FWD at a lesser price does have some appeal, even though I don't really need the turbo......my 2016 naturally aspirated GT has served me just fine. Decisions, decisions! 🤔

Unless you are in a rush why not wait and see how the Carbon stacks up? The turbo motor isn't particularly sporty but has a diesel like grunt which is quite a jump up from the NA 2.5 motor. I would certainly have one right now if they hadn't played paid and switch with me.

2016 naturally aspirated GT has served me just fine

that's my exact experience, non-turbo does a great job (when it's just me in the car lol)
2017+ added quite some weight and didn't improve the engine, wouldn't get the same pedal response
but the added noise and the same small tank... decisions indeed

With the unusual polymetal paint, black wheels, and red leather interior, the CE has a very distinct and different vibe from the rest of the trims. You really need to see it in person to decide if you like it.

I sat next to mine for 30 mins in the dealer’s parking lot before deciding to pull the trigger as it’s a little out of my normal comfort zone with a car (which tends to low-maintenance white or silver exteriors, black interiors, and silver/alloy wheels). But I absolutely love it after a week and I think it will wear well over time. YMMV.

- Mark

Last edited:
Went to my dealer yesterday to ask them some questions about my car and the place was PACKED with new CX-5s, you couldn't even drive down the rows of cars the rows were packed.

My new 2021 GT in Machine Gray w/ black interior. Replaces my 2016 GT Crystal Blue. Noticed right away it is much quieter and ride is less jittery than the last generation. Was very leery of the CD but from what I hear, Mazda has corrected the early problems (hopefully!) and the transition to the CD appears to be relatively seamless. Was very disappointed though that the GT trim level does not include the navigation card as it did in the past. Salesman claims the Apple Car Play feature more than compensates for it, we'll see, I guess I'll have to get used to it until I can find a cheaper SIM card on Amazon at a fraction of the dealers' price.

BTW, that's my Titanium 2017 6 in the background in the garage in the third pic.......makes for a nice fleet combo :giggle:

I am speculating this year they would have lots of 2019 leftovers in some markets, states. So may be just may be there would be some decent discounts coming up in next few months.
But we'll see how it goes.
I also looked at the videos, the 2021 does not have anything new to flash over with except may be the infotainment and the rear camera, It also still comes with the cylinder deactivation gimmick (the non turbo ones)

removing the rear usb, not providing nav on most models even the GT, thin paint, surface rust, thin windshields, cheap cameras, the ancient infotainment ec. and probably more.
All cost cutting. Not good to me. makes you wonder what else they cost cut on the engine parts or other elements :) to squeeze profit.
I hope they do not sacrifice quality to save a dime. I am considering the CX5 and if this is what Mazda does then should i be looking other places? Don's want to hear thin paint and rust. Bad, Bad, Bad.

Gonna purchase a 2021 soon, am currently researching dealer pricing on GT configurations that suit my needs, a have a date with my salesman on Monday.......BUT .......wondering if I should hold out a few weeks for the Carbon Editions to arrive., wish I could see one in person. The availability of the Turbo in a FWD at a lesser price does have some appeal, even though I don't really need the turbo......my 2016 naturally aspirated GT has served me just fine. Decisions, decisions! 🤔
Make sure you drive it first. My dealer let me use a CX9 fwd for two weeks while we waited on the delivery of my 2021 cx5 Sig. I was surprised at the amount of torque steer on the heavier cx9. So a FWD CX5 with the turbo motor might be a handful to drive and a money pit for front tires. On my AWD CX5 Sig, torque steer is well controlled.

Just got me 2021 CX-5 GTR yesterday which I chose after doing a lot of comparisons. It's a beautiful car and loved the ride back home. Gotta say though, few things bugged me just because I had very high expectations:

1. Rear camera has no trajectory lines (which I was led to believe otherwise thanks to this YT video of the new infotainment on a CX-9:
)
2. Windows / Moonroof do not automatically roll-up/close when you lock the car. And no apparent option to enable that. This is perhaps my biggest pet peeve because it's so basic. I wonder if this is built-in but disabled and could be overridden with some OBD2 tools
3. This doesn't really bug me but just in case it's helpful for someone else: The new infotainment screen is no longer touch even in P. Personally I never liked touch screens on cars, but wouldn't hurt to have the option when on P.
4. Seat memory: Would have been cool to store mirrors adjusted positions along with seat position, they essentially go hand in hand.

These are all pretty minor stuff I guess, it's still an absolutely great car!
The 2021 CX5 Sig does have trajectory lines on the rear display camera and on the front camera as well. Also I can confirm the cameras and/or displays are much clearer than the rear unit on my wife’s 2020 CX5GT. The new display seems much clearer on the navigation displays and I like the wider screen layout much better. Also I can confirm that the new infotainment screen is NOT a touch screen. Your options are use the controller on the console or issue verbal commands.

As others have noted, the 2021 Canadian model keeps the old display. Has anybody had feedback from their dealers about that changing for next year? It must be a disappointment for new buyers who have heard about the 10.25 to find that it’s not available.

As others have noted, the 2021 Canadian model keeps the old display. Has anybody had feedback from their dealers about that changing for next year? It must be a disappointment for new buyers who have heard about the 10.25 to find that it’s not available.
That makes no sense at all. Why wouldn't they just do all the cars the same? Seems like cost wise it would be more efficient to have all use the same screen.

I believe I read somewhere it's due to excess inventory of older model displays. Either that, it's just another sign of Mazda's cost cutting measures

Back