2021 CX-5 GTR Oil Filter Question

erhayes

Contributor
:
2022CX5 PP
I intend to use the OEM oil filter on my vehicle for the first couple of oil changes and then switch to a Fram filter. I remember several different filters are made in different countries. Can someone school me on the OEM filters that my dealer might stock? Thank you Ed

Solution
So you bought a new 2021 CX-5 GTR?

The oil filter from factory on 2.5T is Japanese made Tokyo Roki PY8W-14-302. Unfortunately Mazda North American Operations have stopped supplying PY8W-14-302 since Dec. 2019 and it’s superseded by Thai made Denso 1WPY-14-302.

I wouldn’t use Fram filter, as aftermarket oil filters are one size for both 2.5T and 2.5L, whereas OEM’s have 2 different oil filters.
I got a bunch of Bosch premium filters for dirt cheap clearance through Amazon and used them all on my old 2 liter ‘13. Never did a UOA but I wasn’t too concerned with that little engine. I think they were $3 a pop? Screaming good deal on that and was very happy with them.

Yrwei has me convinced. I have some Wix 57002 filters left but I’m going to keep using those on my mother in laws 2.5L NA engine. The fact that Mazda has a whole separate model filter for the 2.5 Turbo spooks me. I could use them on the turbo per Wix but better safe than sorry. A high end aftermarket filter plus 9% local sales tax is saving me $2 per oil change vs these OEM filters from overseas, so why risk it?
Only two dollars I can do a complete Full Synthetic change for under $35 the Stealership price for the same change is $130.

Upvote 0
Repost:

REFERENCE NO: RF-16-03 ALL SKYACTIV® MODELS - OIL FILTER APPLICATION
E950AB15-8547-4CD7-A9FD-355126937CB2.jpeg

992D7CD3-5398-44EE-839F-A3EABA4E06D2.jpeg

Upvote 0
Only two dollars I can do a complete Full Synthetic change for under $35 the Stealership price for the same change is $130.
You and me both sir! $35 at Walmart for 5 quarts Castrol Edge plus a Fram XG or $37.50 for OEM Tokyo Roki. I’ve got this image above burned into my mind. If I’m not feeling saucy in a few years I’ll likely opt for the Denso OEM filters

Upvote 0
As far as the oil filters for the turbo go is there any proven evidence that the PY8W-14-302 is anyway superior to the Thai made 1WPY-14-302?

Upvote 0
As far as the oil filters for the turbo go is there any proven evidence that the PY8W-14-302 is anyway superior to the Thai made 1WPY-14-302?
Nope! It’s all subjective. There are some tear downs available that show some differences in construction. The surface area of the holes on the Thai filter housing are actually greater than the Japanese filter. Japanese one has some metal caps on either side of the filter element that the Thai one lacks. Japanese one is heavier. But is it “better”? I haven’t seen objective evidence of that either way.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Let us know how soon you can receive your Tokyo Roki oil filters from partsouq.com in UAE. Honestly I’d just settle for Thai made OEM Denso oil filters on my 2.5L NA after my stock of Japanese Tokyo Roki oil filters (started with 23) are used up. 😉

Or I can add some Tokyo Roki oil filters on my order from partsouq.com when I need a new Oil Control Valve from them in the future.
Ordered on a Saturday morning, and they arrived Thursday morning. 4 business days DHL cheapest shipping option. Packaged well!

Attachments

• IMG_5582.jpeg
    IMG_5582.jpeg
    141.9 KB · Views: 37
Upvote 0
Back