2021 CX-5 CD Player Options?

erhayes

Contributor
:
2021CX5 Reserve
I only had 6 CDs that I used in my CX-7 (6 CD drive). My 2014 took it down to a 1 CD drive and my 2021 took it all away.

Antoine

Administrator
Seems to me @erhayes likes using CDs and wants to play them in his 2021 CX-5 (like he used to be able to do in his previous CX-7 and 2014 CX-5).

erhayes...Do any of the possible solutions posted in this thread help?

:
Fredericton Canada
:
2018 CX-5 GT
The Mazda Infotainment system is expecting to see a USB stick with audio files (.mp3 etc) or a smartphone if you have the CarPlay option installed. It's not going to work with the USB from an external CD player.
On another Mazda forum a poster shows a portable CD player he installed inside his glove box, rerouted one of the USB ports from the center console to behind the glove box and he has no problems playing CD's. Mine you, his CD player looks more like a conventional vehicle player as it has a slot where you insert a CD and it is drawn into the player.

See his pictures and comments on post #4 here:

My portable CD/DVD player has a tray that opens up to insert the CD then close the drawer. Maybe it has something to do with software installed on the player that allows the vehicles audio system to recognize it.

Last edited:
:
South Carolina
:
12 MZ5 13 CX-5
:
2019 CX-5 GTR
Try this. If it doesn't work, send it back.

That is NOT going to work. Period. The USB port might power the drive but the entertainment system is NOT a personal computer and thus does not have the "intelligence" to operate an external CD drive as linked in that manner.

:
South Carolina
:
12 MZ5 13 CX-5
It would show as a drive, exactly ad a thumb drive would. Besides, it's $15 and has free returns. There's no harm in giving it a shot.

:
2019 CX-5 Signature
It would show as a drive, exactly ad a thumb drive would. Besides, it's $15 and has free returns. There's no harm in giving it a shot.
It will not work. They have been tried over and over on vehicles without CD players. As CX5_Driver stated, there are no drivers in the head unit to recognize it.

gce

:
2018 CX-5 GT FWD Premium
Wow, I had no idea there was an Aux port. I will try that to see how my FLAC's sound. It's a huge improvement in my Lexus with Mark Levinson. It's a little cumbersome not being able to control tracks through the vehicle, though.
Convert your FLAC to WAV. WAV works on the USB stick and will sound the same as FLAC.

:
South Carolina
:
12 MZ5 13 CX-5
Convert your FLAC to WAV. WAV works on the USB stick and will sound the same as FLAC.
This is correct. Wav and flac are absolutely identical, and are identical to a CD. Whatever you do, avoid mp3. It's an ancient and necessarily awful (because of the state of technology in 1993) file format made for Windows 3.1 and 14.4kbps dial-up modems. Technology has advanced just a little since 1993.

:
Fredericton Canada
:
2018 CX-5 GT
It will not work. They have been tried over and over on vehicles without CD players. As CX5_Driver stated, there are no drivers in the head unit to recognize it.
If it won't work I am curious as to how or why the poster in the the link I attached to my post #35 above was able to get his portable CD to work with no problems.

:
South Carolina
:
12 MZ5 13 CX-5
If it won't work I am curious as to how or why the poster in the the link I attached to my post #35 above was able to get his portable CD to work with no problems.
Which is the whole reason I linked to the portable one on Amazon. It's $15, free returns if it doesn't work. Totally worth a shot if you ask me.

:
2019 CX-5 Signature
Because that one was designed to work without a driver. I didn't see a link to where to purchase it. Here's one that should work, but it's not cheap >LINK