2020 CX-5 transmission fluid level

That's interesting that Honda has those short CVT fluid change intervals. I have always been worried about the CVT in my wife's 2016 Subaru Crosstrek. There have been issues with these, and Subaru extended the warranty to 100K miles (supposedly to avoid a recall). So I take it to the dealer for the 30K mile checkups so there is a record, but they say it's a "lifetime" fluid and they don't change it. It's almost due for a 60K mile check, and I may insist on a change.
I like that this thread exists to keep the conversation alive about transmission oil awareness. If I were to shop for cars today one of my top 10 maintenance questions is "how to access the transmission fluid". Doesn't mean I will change it but I would like the option to do so.

On CX-5's we know is easily accessible without specialty tools and they come a bit low in fluid level from factory.

Another way to look at it is the two sides of the coin you're eventually going to come across. Side A is what the dealership and manufacturer claims (lifetime, every 30k miles, ect.). Volkswagen and their DSG had very strict intervals I recall in that not abiding by them voided warranty. Not sure where that stands today. As a consumer we should know this! Side B is where does the token independent repair shop or better yet Transmission repair shop stand. They are the ones having to repair or replace many transmissions past the warranty period. I would reach out to reputable one in your area for their take on high mileage Subie CVTs. Only drawback is it may take a few years for them to start seeing your specific CVT. The good thing about the skyactiv 6-speed is its the same one used in the US since 2012! Mazda took a page out of the Toyota book of using old by tried/true tech to get the job done.

I'm wondering if anyone owning a 2.5T has tried to access the ATF dipstick via the coolant drain service hole, located on cover #1 (driver side). During the oil change I did last week, I removed that service hole cover and discovered that I can easily reach the ATF dipstick on my 2020 2.5L. And my daughter's 2019 2.5L has the same configuration as well.

Although accessing the dipstick via this service hole would be blind, I don't think that's an issue because it can be pulled straight up, and then out the hole for observation. No idea if there's something in the way down there on the 2.5T, but it's a clear pathway to the dipstick on the 2.5L. Wouldn't take more than 5 minutes for someone with a 2.5T to check it out.
Did anyone tried to access the ATF dipstick for 2nd gen cx-5 Turbo? If so please share info thanks.

I checked the factory-filled ATF on my 2.5T (2021 GT Turbo). Not easy but doable. Had 5 extensions and a 10mm socket, took the securing bolt off the dipstick, and was able to slither my arms down and pull the dipstick out. Not THAT difficult in the grand scheme of things.

The level was PERFECT, slightly overfilled by 1mm on the dipstick, just the way I like it. I prefer slightly overfilled than slightly underfilled.

Not all transmissions are underfilled from factory it seems. Glad I checked and have peace of mind.

I checked the factory-filled ATF on my 2.5T (2021 GT Turbo). Not easy but doable. Had 5 extensions and a 10mm socket, took the securing bolt off the dipstick, and was able to slither my arms down and pull the dipstick out. Not THAT difficult in the grand scheme of things.

The level was PERFECT, slightly overfilled by 1mm on the dipstick, just the way I like it. I prefer slightly overfilled than slightly underfilled.

Not all transmissions are underfilled from factory it seems. Glad I checked and have peace of mind.
The first here to report checking the ATF level on a CX-5 2.5T. (y)

Can you provide more info on things such as why other people reporting the additional turbo plumbing blocking the dipstick access、which OBDII device reading the ATF or Coolant temperature、and how to keep the engine idling in natural while taking the ATF measurement without triggering the error code ⋯

Thanks but what is the condition (color) of the fliud with how many miles?

Sm1ke provided the thread for the transmission drain and refill on a 16-21 cx-9 and I think the cx-9 has the turbo standard so the transmission should be same as the 17-21 cx-5: Guide - 2016~2021 CX-9 DIY Transmission Fluid Drain and Fill + Filter Change

The first here to report checking the ATF level on a CX-5 2.5T. (y)

Can you provide more info on things such as why other people reporting the additional turbo plumbing blocking the dipstick access、which OBDII device reading the ATF or Coolant temperature、and how to keep the engine idling in natural while taking the ATF measurement without triggering the error code ⋯
There are a lot of ducts blocking access. You just have to shove your hands in, get dirty, and move them out of the way.

No OBDII device etc. Park the car on a level surface, shut engine off, wait 30min to cool down, check oil level. Nothing complicated.

Thanks but what is the condition (color) of the fliud with how many miles?

Sm1ke provided the thread for the transmission drain and refill on a 16-21 cx-9 and I think the cx-9 has the turbo standard so the transmission should be same as the 17-21 cx-5: Guide - 2016~2021 CX-9 DIY Transmission Fluid Drain and Fill + Filter Change

Fluid looked brand new. Like olive oil, and hard to read on the dipstick (read it 3 times, wiped each time, inserted dipstick fully back in before reading etc).

12,000 Km / 7,400 Miles on the car / transmission / transmission fluid.

There are a lot of ducts blocking access. You just have to shove your hands in, get dirty, and move them out of the way.

No OBDII device etc. Park the car on a level surface, shut engine off, wait 30min to cool down, check oil level. Nothing complicated.
There’re a couple of reports here that they can’t reach the ATF dipstick on the 2.5T due to the turbo plumbing blocking the access with tighter (than CX-9) CX-5 engine bay, and they don’t want to remove any turbo related components.

Due to the much greater expansion ratio by temperature, the ATF has to be measured at specific temperature at 122°F with engine idling. Without engine idling, the ATF isn’t circulating inside of transmission, and you get much higher ATF level reading on the dipstick.

I’d say your factory ATF is also under-filled.

I wish that Mazda would just put 'cold' and 'hot' markers on the dipstick and be done with it. But they don't consider the AT fluid to be a maintenance item.

The engine needs to be running and warmed up to 122f before checking the ATF.

There’re a couple of reports here that they can’t reach the ATF dipstick on the 2.5T due to the turbo plumbing blocking the access with tighter (than CX-9) CX-5 engine bay, and they don’t want to remove any turbo related components.

Due to the much greater expansion ratio by temperature, the ATF has to be measured at specific temperature at 122°F with engine idling. Without engine idling, the ATF isn’t circulating inside of transmission, and you get much higher ATF level reading on the dipstick.

I’d say your factory ATF is also under-filled.
lol, way under-filled...

You guys were right, I checked the ATF while idling and it was low. The ATF was at around 25-30 C (77-86 F). I added 600ml and it came up to the middle of the 2 lines, so perfect. I don't think ATF expansion is that great that I need to check at 122F, and I'm guessing if I were to check at 122F it would be closer to the top line.

I also changed the rear diff and front transfer case, and they both took about 0.5L each. Not too complicated.

Update: I warmed up the transmission fluid to 51C / 123F and re-checked level (car idling, level surface) and it was just below the Full line. MS Paint artwork attached.

Summary: added 600ml to factory fluid to bring it up to full level. I did not drain and fill since car has 30K km / 18K miles.

Dipstick.gif

Back