2020 Signature: How long for your seat warmer to get warm?

:
2020 CX5 Signature
I purchased a 2020 CX-5 Signature about six weeks ago. Having come from a bottom of the line 2000 Toyota Camry, it is quite a difference.

I love the heated steering wheel now that is getting chilly; I can feel the heat in about five seconds. The driver's heated seat, however, takes close to 10 minutes at full blast before I begin to feel heat. This was quite a surprise, since with my wife's 2013 Toyota Venza, I can feel the heat at about the two minute mark.

What length of time do other folks' heated seat take to start getting warm?

I usually turn the wheel and seat heaters on at the same time. The wheel gets warm by the time I have backed out of the driveway. I usually can't feel the seat heater until I am about a mile down the road. I always choose the middle position for the seat heater, that seems warm enough. And I usually turn the seat heater off after 10-15 minutes as by that time the cabin temp from the regular heater has come up to a comfortable level. But I like to keep the wheel heater on for a while longer.

I can’t say that my 2019 takes that long. Maybe 3-4 minutes. I don’t think I’ve thought about it because I forget about it until my ass is too hot!

I’ll definitely check in a few hours when I get in the car.

I do use my seat heaters very clean infrequently because I usually remote start the car and it is warm before I get in.

I purchased a 2020 CX-5 Signature about six weeks ago. Having come from a bottom of the line 2000 Toyota Camry, it is quite a difference.

I love the heated steering wheel now that is getting chilly; I can feel the heat in about five seconds. The driver's heated seat, however, takes close to 10 minutes at full blast before I begin to feel heat. This was quite a surprise, since with my wife's 2013 Toyota Venza, I can feel the heat at about the two minute mark.

Same experience here. The heated seats in my 2016 CX-5 are very slow to warm up, especially compare to my other vehicles. They would take 10 minutes to feel the full power of the heat from the highest temperature setting, and our weather here is not that cold.

The same issue on heated outside mirrors. The ice on them almost can never melt for the whole 30 minutes drive to work!

They should heat up fairly quickly. All of my previous and current vehicles with seat heaters would start to warm up within a few (less than five) minutes. I use mine quite frequently as -30 to -50c temps are pretty common in the winter here.

Does your passenger seat take just as long to warm up as the driver's seat? If there's a difference, have the dealer investigate. Even if it's the same, I'd have the dealer investigate anyway.

2020 CX-5 Touring w/Preferred pkg.

On high setting, the seats get really warm in less than 3 minutes, I usually have to turn them down to medium or low before 5 minutes. We're just now starting to get really cold weather in north Texas. It's 25F right now at 6am this morning and I'm about to go driving in about an hour or so. Supposed to reach 32F about 9am and I need to go thru the car wash sometime this morning since it's dirty and I want it clean when I go see my sister for Christmas Eve dinner later this afternoon since she hasn't seen my new car yet. Hopefully the self serve brushless car wash will not be closed due to cold weather all day, since they usually close it down for sustained subfreezing temps.

On high setting, the seats get really warm in less than 3 minutes, I usually have to turn them down to medium or low before 5 minutes. We're just now starting to get really cold weather in north Texas. It's 25F right now at 6am this morning and I'm about to go driving in about an hour or so. Supposed to reach 32F about 9am and I need to go thru the car wash sometime this morning since it's dirty and I want it clean when I go see my sister for Christmas Eve dinner later this afternoon since she hasn't seen my new car yet. Hopefully the self serve brushless car wash will not be closed due to cold weather all day, since they usually close it down for sustained subfreezing temps.
25°F this morning in north Texas? Currently we have 30°F In Dallas area (north Texas) which is the lowest temperature so far this winter.

The seat warmer on your leatherette seats with Lux Suede® inserts could perform differently from those leather seats. The seat warmer on 2016.5 CX-5 Touring with cloth seats, which is the only time Mazda offered seat warmer on the cloth seats, is performed much better than those with leather seats based on reports here.

And be careful out there as the C-19 cases are record-breaking each day in Dallas area.

25°F this morning in north Texas? Currently we have 30°F In Dallas area (north Texas) which is the lowest temperature so far this winter.

The seat warmer on your leatherette seats with Lux Suede® inserts could perform differently from those leather seats. The seat warmer on 2016.5 CX-5 Touring with cloth seats, which is the only time Mazda offered seat warmer on the cloth seats, is performed much better than those with leather seats based on reports here.
I'm in Wichita Falls. Was 25F this morning at 6am. It's actually dropped another degree, currently 24F at 8:15am. As we say around here..... it's colder than a witch's (mammary unit, rhymes with sit) in a brass bra 😁

On high setting, the seats get really warm in less than 3 minutes, I usually have to turn them down to medium or low before 5 minutes.
Thanks for the information. Both front seats in my Signature are still at about the 10 minute mark before I even start feeling heat. At about 15-16 mark I might turn it down a notch.

I don't know when (or if) I will take it to the dealer to have them check it, but can't say I have high hopes of them fixing the issue.

My son had a 2018 Mazda 6 that had terrible seat warmers. The dealer did replace them under warranty and things improved, but they were still nowhere as warm as you would expect.

My wife’s 2018 Touring with faux suede seating heats up MUCH faster then my 2019 GT with leather seating. The leather doesn’t seem to transmit the heat as easily.

I think (don't know for sure) one difference from my heated seats in the 2016.5 touring (cloth) and the 2019 signature (leather) is the 2016.5 heats the seat even if nobody is sitting in it and the 2019 has to have a body on it.

i.e. ... Start the car up and turn on defroster mirror heat seat heat etc and step out to spend a few minutes brushing snow off and scraping windows ... 2016.5 seats are warming / 2019 no heat till sit on it.

I have a 2016 CX5. I leased it from new and upgraded the warranty to four years. The driver’s side heating pad stopped working June 2020. I had only 30,000k. The heating pad was changed in August (had to wait for it to be ordered). All went well till this week. I bought the lease out in September and once again the driver’s seat pad has stopped working. Back and lumber are ok, just the seat. I will call the dealer and see what this will cost me now there’s no warranty. I am expecting they will say the part they put in in September probably has a 90 day warranty.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice to see nothing's changed. Slow AF in 2016 too. Really only been my one complaint.
It's 30 seconds in my Volvo and was the same in literally every other car I've had.

I'd love to know what's different between the 80% of us who think it is slow versus the 20% that don't. Every time this gets asked it is easily 70-80% think it's slow vs a minority that doesn't. Location? Temps? Heavy people vs not as heavy people?? :D
We should do a more indepth poll. hahaha

I came across this thread recently as I’ve been having problems with the passenger seat heater in our 2018 CX-5 GT. The driver’s seat warms up perfectly but the passenger seat takes forever and never gets as hot as the driver’s. We live in Ottawa, Canada so heated seats are pretty important to us.

I took it into the dealer and got the usual “it’s fine, we tested both of them with an IR gun and they both got to 32C.” Yeah right :rolleyes:.

I decided to buy an IR gun and run my own test. Needless to say my results were quite different. I turned both seats on at the same time on high, and took measurements of both every few minutes. Neither one got close to 32C and the driver’s seat was consistently 4-5C warmer at every time point. I just dropped the car off at the dealer today and handed them my test results (attached). I’m sure my test results will be ignored and I’ll get the usual brush-off. We shall see.

Attachments

• cx-5 heated seats.pdf
    20.6 KB · Views: 125
If they try to brush you off, I'd insist that they perform the test again and either document their finidings in a video, or allow you to be there in person with the tech as they perform their test. There is an obvious difference as evidenced by the testing you did. I don't know if there is a tolerance that would be considered ok by Mazda Canada, but if the dealer refuses to oblige, I'd escalate to Mazda Canada and file a complaint.

I have the same vehicle, and my heated seats are fast, about 2 minutes when it's really cold.

I have the same vehicle, and my heated seats are fast, about 2 minutes when it's really cold.
Lucky you! Mine still takes at least 5-6 minutes before I start feeling the heat and at least 10-12 before I consider lowering the heat settings a bit. Perhaps my rear end is not as sensitive as yours! :)

Back